Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

66's Preview is out there. Link right here!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simon Rogerson View Post
    With the exception of the opening events already featured in the preview, I agree. In fact, how about a pricing structure for 66.

1. Skullduggery in Russia... $1.00
    2. Hughie being pathetic... $0.10
    3. Wanking jokes... $0.50
    4. Frenchie as Nelson... $0.20
    5. Annie with clothes on... $0.00
    6. Butcher stringing everyone along as usual... $0.02
    7. Two minutes of my time I'll never get back again reading the radio show... Dynamite owes me ... $1.00
    You forgot something:

8. Stillwell and Bradley being all adorably pseudo-coupled-up... $0.50

Although I personally wouldn't pay $0.50 for wanking 'jokes' (lazily referring to something that was used for a cheap laugh about three issues ago isn't really a 'joke' anyway), so perhaps I could just replace your number 3.

Comment

I am really soured on this issue. The let down from issue 65 is so severe. I have defended Ennis as a writer, defended his bipolar approach to this series (farce vs. plot-driven), but this issue...

I had started an earlier thread, wondering where the final arc would go. I noted that nothing seemed too interesting, but expected Ennis to have something new and interesting in mind. If so, he needs to introduce it soon. Six issues to say goodbye to a bunch of characters it's clear Ennis doesn't really like is a bit much.

Here is Ennis' commentary linked above, with my own snide comments in parantheses-

Page one
      Bit of conjecture on the side-effects of depleted uranium ammunition on its users here. I’ve always been fascinated by the notion of military personnel being issued weapons and equipment that isn’t up to the job, or that’s just plain dangerous to the user- aircraft structurally prone to stalling, or pistols that blow up in the owner’s hand- but D.U. seems to be one step beyond.
      Page three
      Speaking of this sort of thing, I recently met a US Army officer who’d transferred from tanks to infantry because he hated tanks. He corrected himself- “No, not tanks, tankers. I hate their attitude. They basically believe “there’s always a bigger hammer”. They think nothing of firing a D.U. penetrator from the main gun at single insurgent, just to see what a 120mm round will do to a human body.” Which immediately put in me in mind of The Boys #65, but I decided to keep that to myself.
      Page four
      Bloody hell, it’s Butcher- although you knew that from about panel 2 on page one, because no one else in comics sounds like him. I sometimes think you could get away with anything if you spoke in that accent- a theory that the big man will spend the next six issues attempting to prove.
      Pages five-seven
      But that first day, when the sky is silver-white and the city basks in impossible silence, and then night comes and the clouds reflect the golden glow from beneath- that’s truly something. Time to relax and reflect. Time to think about that guy whose head you kicked off and whose ghastly spurtings have been haunting your dreams ever since.
      Some people don’t realize The Boys is set over only a couple of years, roughly 2006-8, no matter how many hints I drop in. There’s a tendency to think that these 60+ issue epics take place in real time, when in fact they couldn’t possibly. Preacher, Transmetropolitan, Y The Last Man- what, about 2-3 years each? Tops? (Hmmm. Interesting point that’s really not that interesting.)Pages eight-eleven
      What does a French lunatic do when he gets his arm blasted off? Why, dress up like Napoleon, of course. Not that old Boney ever lost a limb, but the opportunity to do the famous arm-in-coat pose was too good to miss.
      Hughie’s skills in command and self-assertion are certainly not all they might be, but if you will spend months moping about committing cold-blooded murder you’re never going to get anywhere, are you? In fact, our hero’s total inability to learn from his mistakes and change his ways will eventually stand him in good stead- though he probably doesn’t see it that way right now. (Foreshadowing! Of course, it’s more effective when the author can insert it seamlessly into the plot, rather than the footnotes).No doubt Hughie’s tendency to mope and turn inwards is a source of frustration to many readers, all used to comic heroes who learn from experience and develop into fully-rounded characters ready to handle anything. In my experience this is like no one who’s ever existed in real life; even the most capable people either maintain or eventually return to their essential flaws. I doubt any twenty-something lad unused to trauma and violence could simply absorb it straightaway, and if he did become hardened or inured it would be as a different, less sensitive person. In other words, Hughie’s bizarre triumph is that he remains Hughie.(Oh, no. Ennis’ worldview is even more depressing than I thought. Not only does he believe that we are all depraved wretches, but also that we are irredeemable.)If it’s self-assertion you’re after, just go back to page four.
      Pages twelve-fourteen
      The Vought-American executives generally- and Stillwell and Bradley in particular- exhibit the kind of behaviour with which I imagine Wall Street responded to the Occupy movement: cool-headed observation, rational analysis, no sense of alarm. When time, money and power are on your side, why get upset? I’m speaking here of the CEOs and greater demons, not the little savages who bawl numbers at each other on the floor of the exchange- I’m sure they reacted with a good deal more vitriol to the ragged band encamped outside. (Kind of surprised that Ennis doesn’t see the Occupy Wall Street gang, consisting of a bunch of children of privilege with math-skills so poor that they couldn’t see the problem with borrowing $150k to finance degree plans in Humanities that would lead to $30k annual salaries, as more akin to Hughie. I mean, the “human microphone” alone is more hilarious than anything Ennis has thought of in years.)Little bit of corporate manure from CEO Brewster here, particularly regarding the use of the word family. It’s a source of constant amazement to me that people swallow the idea that their job is anything like a family- “You’re part of the Megalo-Omnicorp family now”, etc etc. I’ve seen intelligent, rational adults react with amazement when the dreadful day came and their “family” gave them the boot. As has been said, show me a family where Dad eats first.
      (My other least favourite bullshit-isms are probably you need to, in the sense of a thinly and pathetically disguised command, and we want to work together, meaning we don’t.)
      As for Stillwell’s comments on Wikileaks, I do sometimes wonder just how much people are prepared to sit still for- or how much shit they’re prepared to eat, to put it another way. (Wiki-leaks? I remember learning that out diplomats speak candidly about their foreign counterparts, but didn’t notice anything about rogue corporations plotting to unseat the elected government from inside).This was at the forefront of my mind for a good deal of the Bush era (because, as we all have noticed, the Obama era is different, with Guantanamo closed, the troops all home, and the killer drones retired. Is it possible that leaders make and sustain decisions because of events and forces, rather than personal whims and animosities?), although there wasn’t anything particularly new about the concept: the Irangate scandal of 1987 at least forced Ronald Reagan to publicly apologise to the American people, but his vice-president was deemed innocent of any wrongdoing and elected to power a year later.
      Lest this be thought an anti-American screed, remember that many British people gave themselves a good old pat on the back for the various protests and marches conducted during the run-up to the 2003 Iraq War. Two years later, with a chance to decisively censure Tony Blair for his wrongdoing, they gave him a parliamentary majority that either of his predecessors would have killed for. But let’s agree, as Stillwell and Bradley do, that there’s a limit beyond which public opinion simply will not accompany you.
      I hope…
      Pages fifteen-eighteen
      Butcher does his thing. You can just imagine him in #56, noting the demand for promotion outside Dr. Peculiar’s, and thinking- you reckon you’re being smart, but this will come back to bite you in the arse, my son. And then, an issue later, noticing how easy it was for Hughie to piss Frenchie off completely by accident- Bingo. Ah, Billy. My all-time favourite creation.
      This is as good a time as any to talk about Russ Braun’s absolute mastery of his art (although I do love his take on Butcher; there’s a headshot from his sketchbook on my office wall that I put up to keep me focused while writing #60-72). His storytelling is flawless, his characterization is constant- there’s never any weird variation in any one person’s face- and his ability to “move the camera” so things remain clear but never get staid is a marvel in itself. But beyond that, Russ has the ability to think his way into the script, as I like to put it: he never ignores background detail or deems characters that aren’t talking in a particular panel irrelevant. He knows, say, that X has to look a certain way because he’s thinking about Y, or that A’s got to be smiling because in a moment he’ll be doing B. Too many artists omit details of script direction because it doesn’t occur to them why someone has to have the expression they do. But not the guys who take the time to think their way in.
      (Yes, I can see how an artist that can diverge from showing the same expression on a face panel after panel of nothing much going on would be of value here)A skill like this gets little attention or praise because- like good acting- it’s supposed to be invisible. I’d love to be able to claim that I discovered Russ personally and was the only one to recognize his genius, but in fact he’s been drawing comics on and off for twenty years. Such a quiet, deft approach to art will often go unnoticed while flashier talents bask in the limelight, but for sheer storytelling ability I think there are few to touch the man. In that regard alone, I’d put him in the same class as Steve Dillon.
      (Wait…is this our board’s fake Garth?)Pages nineteen & twenty
      Faint heart ne’er won fair lady, my little Scots chum.
      Pages twenty-one & twenty-two
      “Come on, Tony,” I exhorted our colourist when I saw the few paltry red specks he’d initially produced at the bottom of page 21, “get a bit more blood into that cum.” Still, Tony manfully rose to the task and gave us what we needed. The results are there for all to see.

Comment

The last straw/signing off

Issue #66 did it for me. I got the same feeling I get when I buy a band's third release, only to realize that whatever promise they showed in the first two is gone, and from here on out they'll likely just be going through the motions, like the last series of paintings by Kandinsky.

Maybe I shouldn't have reread All-Star Superman and the last trade for The Invisibles yesterday, followed it up with some Franz Masereel and then reread #66. To check myself, I reread much of Ennis' run on Hellblazer. Really good stuff. The good guys aren't all good and the bad guys aren't all bad. I wanted to rap Constantine on the head a few times, and more than once felt bad for a demon that, although they were certainly evil and deserved to be sent back downstairs, just didn't have the sly meanness to make it in our world. You almost feel some compassion for the King of Vampires when he meets his end. Almost.

There was also no pointless exposition. No page upon page wasted on irrelevant backstory and characters who contribute little to the story and who will never be heard from again. No bathroom humor and juvenile subplots used as a poor substitute for tight, compelling writing. Those days are likely gone. From now on, when I buy an Ennis product, I'll read the review first before I hand over my hard-earned cash.

So that's it. I may buy the last Boys trade when it comes out. I may not. I'm sure Amazon will be selling it at a deep discount before too long. I bought a like-new Watchmen trade not too long ago for $4. That seems almost criminal. But if I end up paying $4 for the last trade of The Boys, well okay then.

Thanks for the unceasing tsunami of clever insights and irreverent wit, both no doubt the product of near superhuman intellect. The kicker was finding out that Kamakazi is a woman. In my limited imagination, she looks like Liz Taylor in Giant, and that's how it's going to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by statsman View Post
          http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/...ntary-on-boys/

Here you go. You don't have to buy this issue. If you want to keep up with the "plot", read this (it has about 60% of the pages, and you'll have the gist of it. Between this and Kamakazi's recap thread, you'll be able to keep up and have enough cash to buy the #1 at Wendy's and upgrade to a Frosty.
          I love Vanilla flavored frostys.

Comment

We used to have Wendy's here in the UK, but the square burger never caught on.

Comment

Didn't realize Garth contributed to Bleeding Cool. That's awesome.

But THIS....
              http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/...fore-the-boys/
              Darick is doing the final issue (already started on it) and writing an A-Train mini. No bullshit.

That's fuckin' cool. Good on you, Darick.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Gibby View Post
                ... writing an A-Train mini..
                That's just very strange.

Comment

That's just very strange.
                  It's not strange, it's fucking stupid. A Frenchie & Female epilogue mini would be infinitely better / more saleable.

Assuming they both survive Butcher's kamikaze mission.

Which they inevitably won't.

Comment

Originally posted by ambaxtoxin View Post
                    It's not strange, it's fucking stupid.
                    Well, that's what I wanted to say but the Dynamite fuzz delete my posts whenever I get sweary. A tad contradictory given the content of the comic...

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Gibby View Post
                      Didn't realize Garth contributed to Bleeding Cool. That's awesome.

But THIS....
                      http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/...fore-the-boys/
                      Darick is doing the final issue (already started on it) and writing an A-Train mini. No bullshit.

That's fuckin' cool. Good on you, Darick.
                      My Prayers have been answered! We may yet learn how a superhero is formed.

Comment

Well, that's what I wanted to say but the Dynamite fuzz delete my posts whenever I get sweary. A tad contradictory given the content of the comic...
                        ya why is it censored here? I cant wrap my mind around it.

Comment

Originally posted by statsman View Post
                          Page one
                          Bit of conjecture on the side-effects of depleted uranium ammunition on its users here. I’ve always been fascinated by the notion of military personnel being issued weapons and equipment that isn’t up to the job, or that’s just plain dangerous to the user- aircraft structurally prone to stalling, or pistols that blow up in the owner’s hand- but D.U. seems to be one step beyond.
                          Page three
                          Speaking of this sort of thing, I recently met a US Army officer who’d transferred from tanks to infantry because he hated tanks. He corrected himself- “No, not tanks, tankers. I hate their attitude. They basically believe “there’s always a bigger hammer”. They think nothing of firing a D.U. penetrator from the main gun at single insurgent, just to see what a 120mm round will do to a human body.” Which immediately put in me in mind of The Boys #65, but I decided to keep that to myself.
                          D.U. Isn't that dangerous. It's "depleted" uranium, which means that the amount of fissionable U-235 relative to U-238 has been reduced. Is it radioactive? Yes, mildly so, but not terribly so, U-238 has a half-life of four and a half billion years. What does that mean? Well that means that it's not terribly radioactive, it's not like say, americium 241, which is commonly used in household smoke detectors. If someone handed you a kilo of U-238 you could hold on to it without any incident. If someone handed you a kilo of americium 241 you'd be in a world of hurt in a fairly short amount of time. Boeing used to use DU for the trim weights on the 747 because it was dense and more easily formed than tungsten.
                          So what makes depleted uranium dangerous then? Well, the fact that it's a heavy metal, just like lead or mercury. Being exposed to uranium fragments or dust from a DU munition is dangerous for the same reason that being exposed to lead fragments or dust from conventional munitions is dangerous. But the myths about DU, that it undergoes a nuclear reaction when it hits the target, or that it's dangerous because its radioactive are nonsense.
                          As far as shooting a 120mm penetrator at a single insurgent goes, hey, why not? Seriously, if you don't kill him with the main gun you're either going to kill him with 7.62mm rounds fired from the coaxial machine gun or the loader's machine gun or with .50 calibre rounds fired from the commander's gun (I used to be an M-1 tank commander) or if the poor bastard is close enough you're going to run him over and crush him under the treads. Anyway you look at it dead is dead. You're not going to be less dead from being run over by an M-1 or shot with a machine gun than you are if you're hit by a DU sabot round.

Comment

Working...
                          X