• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunda comes to Dynamite!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/...namite-series/

http://www.dynamite.net/htmlfiles/pr...=PR05111252711

Check it out!
    Last edited by comixfan1980; 05-17-2012, 06:06 PM.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

YES!! More heroic, be-loinclothed beefcakeage! Sign me up!!

Comment

not nearly as excited as I would be if this had been for THUNDARR! I mean do we need this Thunda comic? I am sure someone will get on here and talk about OH this is Frazetta, and it's rich history, and bla, bla, bla. DE for goodness sakes, Let's get something not already done, can anyone at DE come up with something new and original? don't be afraid to go out on a limb. It's bad enough the Dark Horse is re-raping all this old stuff, Creepy, Errie, Re-printing of every Conan comic ever made. All I asked is that if you are taking something already done DO NOT RE DO THE SAME STORIES WITH A DIFFRENT ARTIST! Just take it and go for it in your own way if it sucks and no one likes it great, if it's done your way and people like even better but do not give us re worked crap.

Comment

Um... a few points here:

Thundarr is, himself, neither new nor original (however good he may be). Indeed, since Thun'da had something like six issues ever (only the first of which was by Frazetta OR involved dinosaurs), rather than an entire pre-existing world set up as Thundarr has, there's NO "rich history" at all, and much more opportunity for Dynamite to treat him as a blank slate.

Dark Horse reprinting Creepy, Eerie, Conan, and more is a godsend. It sure beats having to hunt down expensive back issues. And I can't speak for anyone else, but I have really liked the new Dark Horse REH stories myself.

Comment

First of all, they're not the same stories with a different artist, they're different stories with a different artist. Instead of wasting your time posting here, comichero, why don't you spend time over on the Marvel and DC forums complaining about the THOUSANDS of Superman, Batman, Spider-Man and X-Men stories that are rehashed ad infinitum instead of bitching about DE bringing back some old comic series that had all of 6 issues published, back before most comic readers of today were born?

Yeah, sorry you're disappointed about the Thundarr thing, but really, if you're not interested, just ignore the thread and don't buy, leave it for those of us that are interested. Pretty simple when you come right down to it.

It might have escaped your notice, but DE derives the lion's share of its profits from licensed (or public domain) properties, some of which originally appeared as TV shows or movies, some as old time radio shows, pulp magazine characters, newspaper comic strips or Golden Age or later comic books. That's what they DO. If that's not your cup of tea, maybe you should seek elsewhere for your comic entertainment. Seriously, if you're looking for something "new and original", characters that have never been seen in comics before and all-new series, maybe you should try a company like Image or something, and stop berating DE for the particular niche they've carved out as an independent publisher.

Note also that DE may be hedging its bets here, in case of a negative outcome in its pending litigation with ERB, Inc. The introduction of Gullivar Jones of Mars (in Warriors of Mars) and Thun'da may be DE's way of making sure they have suitable replacements for their Warlord of Mars and Lord of the Jungle comics, should ERB Inc. manage to pull the plug on these valuable properties.
          Last edited by positronic; 05-18-2012, 03:17 AM.
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

uuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm okay doesnt look too bad

I read the title as Thundarr so I was a bit disappointed > _ > but I am not angry

Comment

ok, Yes I know Thundarr is not new or original, I was just stating that I would rather see Thundarr more then Thunda. For you to take such offense at my statement is very sad on your part I might add. I have never told anyone on these fourms they should leave and go somewhere else. And believe me there have been some realy bad (insulting and mean) post thru out these fourms. Just go to the Vampirella ones and listen to them complain. I love DE, infact they are the only comicbooks I buy each month, Warlord of Mars, WoM Dejah Thoris, Red Sonja, Queen Sonja, and any Red Sonja one shots that come out. the point I was making was that it would be nice for DE to come up with something brand new. That's all. And Yes I do understand that DE makes a profit off of things that are know to many of us from many things, i.e. TV old radio shows, and YES old comics. I do hope that DE does not lose the rights or is forced in anyway to stop making the Warlord of Mars and Lord of the Jungle series.

Comment

Eh,

I think DE has too many or has had too many characters like this with Sonja, Tarzan, Thulsa Doom, Jungle Girl, and now Thun'Da.

Comment

OK, comichero, that may have seemed a harsh response, but you just came off as a nabob of negativism toward a comic that hasn't even been published and you haven't even seen yet, based on a couple of sketches, a cover and the fact that since it isn't something you're familiar with, it must just be regurgitated drivel. You may not give a rat's patoot about old Frazetta or Warren comics, but those comments just came off as ignorant (emphasis on the rant). The stabs at Dark Horse products that you don't care for didn't help either. Some of us do like that stuff. And how on earth can Conan be just rehashed junk and yet Red Sonja's not? They were both published by Marvel first, and of course long before that Conan appeared in paperbacks in the 1960s and even earlier in the 1930s in the pulp magazine Weird Tales. Yet Marvel's Conan comic was responsible for significantly helping to popularize the character. Yes, everyone likes different things, I don't buy every book DE publishes, yet they are still my favorite publisher. DE does publish a few original series (unlike the favorites you list which are not original DE creations, either). I don't happen to be a fan of any of them, but I don't resent them for existing. That's how it goes in the comics biz.

Who knows, DE may be responsible for popularizing something relatively obscure like Thun'da too. Give it a chance at least before you start bashing. Perhaps what you should really have done instead of going into rant mode was just start a new thread somewhere asking for support from people who'd like to see DE create more original series as opposed to recycling older properties.
                  DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

It is nothing personal against Thunda or Frazetta. I was just wanting Thundarr and was sad when I saw it was not. Like all DE I will give every first issue a try. As far as rehashing goes Dark horse does redo every story from the paperback books (source material) and from the comics
                    about those books from marvel. I know because I have all of the Conan GN that DH has put out, including the Savage Sword of Conan, vols. 1-11Which I have the entire run of the original Mags already. So, I am not down on Dark horse either, and Yes I am glad they remade them as well because I do not have to pull out my Mags to read I can just grab the GN. My whole point was that I wanted to see something in comic book form that had not been flesh out, such as Thundarr (Who I know had a cartoon, of which I have every episode) Thunda had a small run and I guess they do in fact have room to take it and runwith it. I can not be grateful enough to DE for bringing us the Warlord of Mars series, (Even tho there was a Marvel run of it, of which I have never read an issue) I picked up my 1st Warlord of Mars because of the Joe Jusko (an artist I truly admire) cover read it and was hooked. Because of this I went a picked up the ERB books and began to read them. They are awesome, and I have DE to thank for that.

Comment

Regarding Dark Horse's CONAN, yes I know they're just re-adapting most of the same REH stories that Marvel already did in its run, but I'd just say DH knows the market. Most people seem to agree that nobody wrote a Conan story as well as REH, and there are a fairly limited number of those to adapt, but I think DH is correct in its thinking that that's what most people want to see -- and not everyone has already read the Marvel adaptations. Dark Horse wants a shot at proving that they can do just as well or better than Marvel on those adaptations, and I can't blame them. The actual results may vary (and the Roy Thomas-Barry Smith CONANs are hard to beat). At least they're giving people the choice of buying the new adaptations, or the original Marvel ones as reprints.

So, you didn't mention anything about DE's existing original series, The Boys, Jennifer Blood, Ninjettes, Bring the Thunder, Athena, Nowhere Man, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by comichero View Post
                        Just take it and go for it in your own way if it sucks and no one likes it great...
                        Dynamite may not think it's so great.

Here's where Dynamite can't win; often when they've tried to add their own spin on a classic character, they've been critisized for missing what made that character special, not respecting his history, whatever. However, if they appear to be sticking to the character as he or she is normally known, then they're just offering up the same old same old.

Dynamite can't do both. Personally, I prefer you approach but in light of feedback received, I can understand when Dynamite chooses to be as faithful to the original as possible.

Comment

Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see how faithful or not it is to the original. I can't really think of a single book Dynamite has done that's 100% faithful to the classic material it's supposed to be based on. Some things are a lot closer, some farther away. DE's Flash Gordon would be a good example of something that's faithful in spirit to the original, while still putting a new spin on it. So yeah, I think you CAN have it both ways, at least to a degree. Something like Green Hornet Year One or Lone Ranger or Zorro would be a lot closer to the original source material, but there are still small differences. Many times it's a question of what you consider the definitive version. There are differences in the pulp, movie, and TV versions of Zorro, so you can't be 100% faithful to ALL of them. As far as Thund'a goes, will he still be 1950s military pilot Roger Drumm crashing in a lost jungle full of dinosaurs, or will they put a modern spin and/or add new elements to it?

Another interesting comparison would be something like Turok. Valiant's version was a modern spin on Gold Key's original comic. Dark Horse's recent version was a little closer to the original, but I liked Valiant's version a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                            DE's Flash Gordon would be a good example of something that's faithful in spirit to the original, while still putting a new spin on it. So yeah, I think you CAN have it both ways, at least to a degree.
                            I don't know how it meshes with Flash Gordon because I don't read it, but I would suggest as a general rule that you can add easier than you can change so long as the addition doesn't clash with any part of the character's history.

Adding Clutch and a motorcycle to the current Green Hornet, or that hobo character to the Kato Origins series, that I know of wasn't seen as a big deal. Making Kato female (sort of...the male Kato IS still there...) created some grumbles. Or try to modernize the Hornet by making drive a sports car called the Silver Streak...

That isn't absolute; I'm sure there are examples of additions that bombed (Superman's son in the last movie comes to mind, for some reason) and changes that were embraced right away, but by and large I think that's how I see what you describe being achievable.

Comment

like it

hey,

one like..
                              Last edited by Awearo; 07-07-2012, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X