No announcement yet.

Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first post! (under sad circumstances...)

Hi everyone. This is my first post on these forums.

I'll skip all the intro stuff and just say I'm really sad to discover that PETER CANNON: THUNDERBOLT is cancelled.
    However, that has absolutely no bearing on whether or not I will try out any new Dynamite titles in the future, nor does it have any have any effect on my decision to continue buying current Dynamite titles. That just seems... illogical?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris-KL99 View Post
      Hi everyone. This is my first post on these forums.

I'll skip all the intro stuff and just say I'm really sad to discover that PETER CANNON: THUNDERBOLT is cancelled.
      However, that has absolutely no bearing on whether or not I will try out any new Dynamite titles in the future, nor does it have any have any effect on my decision to continue buying current Dynamite titles. That just seems... illogical?
      I love your username. How are Jero and Halk these days?

Comment

• Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
        I love your username. How are Jero and Halk these days?
        Thanks! They were doing great until the Nu52. Halk went mad and transformed Loopy into a Warhound that ended up devouring his arms and legs. Fortunately there were some '90s Image Comics giant prosthetic robot limbs lying around. He calls himself BloodHalk now. Jero has joined Stephanie Brown and Wally West in infamy as characters that Dan Didio will have you removed from a con panel for mentioning.

Comment

• T-bolt in the movies

The way Pete Morisi originally wrote T-bolt, plus his colorful symmetric costume, I also felt that T-bolt would really do well on the big screen. If he ever did make the big screen, lots of publishers would love to publish his comic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris-KL99 View Post
            Thanks! They were doing great until the Nu52. Halk went mad and transformed Loopy into a Warhound that ended up devouring his arms and legs. Fortunately there were some '90s Image Comics giant prosthetic robot limbs lying around. He calls himself BloodHalk now. Jero has joined Stephanie Brown and Wally West in infamy as characters that Dan Didio will have you removed from a con panel for mentioning.
            Bloodhalk & the Forgotten Psychos #1 by Rob Liefeld hits the stores in May, as Bloodhalk leads Ripped Hunter, Animalistic Man, the Spaced Cabby and Strange Adam against a coalition of evil mutant extradimensional Faceless Hunters from an alternate future, one of whom is his own son's evil doppelganger's adult clone!

Comment

Bloodhalk & the Forgotten Psychos #1 by Rob Liefeld hits the stores in May, as Bloodhalk leads Ripped Hunter, Animalistic Man, the Spaced Cabby and Strange Adam against a coalition of evil mutant extradimensional Faceless Hunters from an alternate future, one of whom is his own son's evil doppelganger's adult clone!
              ...sounds about right.

Comment

• So, are we ever going to learn any more about the background of Peter Cannon's mysterious friends Captain At...uh, I mean "Adam" and Nights...oops, sorry, "Eve"? I'm considerably more interested in them than I was in a couple of suspiciously similar characters published by DC in recent years...

Comment

So, are we ever going to learn any more about the background of Peter Cannon's mysterious friends Captain At...uh, I mean "Adam" and Nights...oops, sorry, "Eve"? I'm considerably more interested in them than I was in a couple of suspiciously similar characters published by DC in recent years...
                  Tony, now you've forced me to go back and reread those issues. Maybe it was the beard and blond hair that threw me off.
                  DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• I thought the names and the fact that 'Adam' has silver arms were quite big clues...

Comment

I thought the names and the fact that 'Adam' has silver arms were quite big clues...
                      Well, that and the fact that while Thunderbolt and Captain Atom & Nightshade nominally inhabited what we may refer to now as 'the Charlton Universe' for a while, they never had much in the way of interaction during that time. So despite sharing a publisher 40 years ago, you wouldn't expect simulacrums of those characters to have any special importance in the world of Peter Cannon. Plus, equating Captain Atom's powers with Thunderbolt's is a bit of a stretch, not just a matter of experience levels.
                      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

• An offhand reference to "reporter Vic Anger" in the most recent issue tends to lend credence to your theory, Tony. That could be a play on both The Question's alter ego, Vic Sage, and supermarket tabloid Weekly World News arch-conservative right-wing columnist "Ed Anger" (of MY AMERICA fame... "I’m madder than a Arab with a three-legged camel about Al Gore selling his network to the enemy."). Or even to tinseltown tell-all author Kenneth Anger of Hollywood Babylon fame. Maybe all three.
                        Last edited by positronic; 04-29-2013, 01:07 AM.

Comment

• I did wonder about Vic...

Comment

• Just finished #9, I've got to say, Peter Cannon has been a character that I've liked, but only just enough to read the next issue. Its not the story that is the problem, its...him.

I love his strength, I admire his self control and self reflection, he is a warrior philosopher in a lot of ways and that is cool. However I also usually end up feeling that his self control borders and strays into the realm of him being sort of a wimp...and also a hypocrit.

I understand that this is a man who despite his abilities struggles with self-doubt, I understand he is not a traditional western super hero. Also in all fairness, he has made it abundantly clear what he really thinks about society, city life and the situation he is in. Still, The amount of time he spends wanting to run away from problem is sort of weak and obnoxious, especially when other people or concerned. I want to say that by the end of Issue 9 I liked him a bit more, when dealing with the princess he showed his usual self doubt, but he also, to excuse terrible expression, manned up.

Real soon in the series I really hope he starts listening to Tabu, and starts stepping up to the plate and instead of being a reluctant hero scraping by, be the hero he is capable of. He doesn't have to be a macho archetype, and his reflective nature is a core part of him. I just..I..ya know?

Edit: About him being a hypocrit, his whole scheme with his mental dragon, I don't know, it seems like it should be beneath him. Yes he had good intentions, yes it did bring peace, but it was also a massive fraud and deception he tricked millions of people with around the world. I think he is kind of ready to be done with the stigma of that incident, I really think he should just come clean, It might damage what he has worked for, but it will allow him to work towards those goals in a more honest and proactive fashion. Again, he can be so much more as a person and a hero.
                            Last edited by James; 05-25-2013, 04:54 AM.

Comment

• #10 ended the series with a whimper IMO. I suspect it might have had a different (& better) ending if the series had not been cancelled. Oh well overall I enjoyed a modern take on a Charlton classic.

Comment

• I rather liked the series. Sorry to see it end so abruptly.

Comment

Working...
                                X