No announcement yet.

The Boys #69 Review: Coming of the AquaButcher

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good bold recommendation. I'll give it a go.

I'll be sad when The Boys finishes. For all its weaknesses, I haven't found anything else quite as entertaining.

Comment

Next issue, we are told that Butcher strikes at the heart of The Boys. Since it would seen The Frenchman and Hughie are discussing just how bad things are, does this mean that The Female is done for?

Comment

Originally posted by numberthirty View Post
        Next issue, we are told that Butcher strikes at the heart of The Boys. Since it would seen The Frenchman and Hughie are discussing just how bad things are, does this mean that The Female is done for?

The valedictory cover suggests they are both for the chop, but maybe we've got a suprise in store and one of them will survive. It's a shame, as I would have liked to have seen them walk off into the sunset, but we're seeing a writer's rampage here. Garth doesn't want to be coerced into writing any more Boys books.

So there's just the movie to look forward to (minus the alt 9/11 and with Butcher played as a loveable rogue).

Comment

I'm going to call it: an ending for Stilwell like the ending for the Shaft remake is a very strong possibility. Remember how in that movie Toni Collette was a witness to a murder Christian Bale committed, and she was too scared to testify, and in the meantime he was allowed to make bail twice? And at the end she finally agreed to testify, they thought they had him, when he was shot on the courthouse steps by the mother of the victim. Something like that is a pretty strong possibility after this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Rogerson View Post
            The valedictory cover suggests they are both for the chop, but maybe we've got a suprise in store and one of them will survive. It's a shame, as I would have liked to have seen them walk off into the sunset, but we're seeing a writer's rampage here.
            Butcher's clearly going to take them out whilst they're making love* for the first time. Or shortly thereafter. Ennis, you heartbreaker.

*I would've said 'fucking', but I don't really think that that would be the correct terminology in this case. HOPELESS ROMANTIC THAT I AM, DAWWW.

Comment

Kamakazi, you sold me, dude. I enjoy Aaron's take on Marvel stuff, so a do-what-you-want title with creator freedom? I'm there.
              His "The Other Side" was fucking great. Loved it. I tried tying it into a class I have to give (which starts out with the barber scene in Full Metal Jacket) to a bunch of Marines, but it just cost me too much time talking about Aaron's backstory to Gustov Hasford (author of The Short Timers, which grew up to FMJ, he and Aaron are cousins).

Comment

Originally posted by ambaxtoxin View Post
                Butcher's clearly going to take them out whilst they're making love* for the first time.
                Eurrr... I didn't mean that.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Rogerson View Post
                  Eurrr... I didn't mean that.
                  I did. Just wait and see. Bound to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Gibby View Post
                    Kamakazi, you sold me, dude. I enjoy Aaron's take on Marvel stuff, so a do-what-you-want title with creator freedom? I'm there.
                    His "The Other Side" was fucking great. Loved it. I tried tying it into a class I have to give (which starts out with the barber scene in Full Metal Jacket) to a bunch of Marines, but it just cost me too much time talking about Aaron's backstory to Gustov Hasford (author of The Short Timers, which grew up to FMJ, he and Aaron are cousins).
                    Scalped is hands-down the best graphic novel since Preacher. If there were any justice in the world, Scalped would be an HBO miniseries. If you haven't read it, I envy you, because you're about to read something that will forever change how you view graphic novels.

Comment

scalped

im going to check out scalped now cuz of you dickless fucks *oh im sorry thats the equivalent of saying cunt in the uk* listen brus im drunk n as much as we bitch about ennis an the boys lets at least agree if it wasnt a good series we wouldnt be here bitchin about it. also fuck you garth you steward to the throne come to jerz and ill skull fuck you and your witty internet agenda poooooooooof

Comment

asking for it

wait wait wait hopefully ill get some semi-intelligent-sarcastic-bombastic-look at me im not a bitch reply

Comment

problem?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAQ&dur=547

Comment

What does Ebert call the lazy writing where the entire plot could be truncated if one character would just give another a crucial piece of information? Like this...

MM: "Butcher, Why you gotta be doing this?"
                            Butcher: "Vought is giving V to real soldiers in Red River. We have to have a way to stop them."
                            MM: "Oh"

Comment

Originally posted by statsman View Post
                              What does Ebert call the lazy writing where the entire plot could be truncated if one character would just give another a crucial piece of information? Like this...

MM: "Butcher, Why you gotta be doing this?"
                              Butcher: "Vought is giving V to real soldiers in Red River. We have to have a way to stop them."
                              MM: "Oh"
                              The idiot plot?

Comment

So, here is what we're looking at. Hughie tries to stop Butcher. Maybe he's successful. Then, the V-ed up Red River guys are released and Hughie is forced to implement Butcher's plan to kill all supes. Perhaps there's a moment to pause and reflect that it's the corporate interests that really have all the power (Irony!).

Comment

Working...
                                X