The Boys #69 Review: Coming of the AquaButcher

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by statsman View Post
    What does Ebert call the lazy writing where the entire plot could be truncated if one character would just give another a crucial piece of information? Like this...

MM: "Butcher, Why you gotta be doing this?"
    Butcher: "Vought is giving V to real soldiers in Red River. We have to have a way to stop them."
    MM: "Oh"
    I don't think any of the Boys would agree to this if this were the case; assuming this is something airborne or in the water that only affects V subjects, it will still kill a lot of innocent people who have V in their systems.

There is the unspoken idea that whatever Butcher's doing could kill them as well, assuming its more genocidal and not a surgical strike.

Comment

With great power...

Originally posted by Dustin View Post
      I don't think any of the Boys would agree to this if this were the case; assuming this is something airborne or in the water that only affects V subjects, it will still kill a lot of innocent people who have V in their systems.

There is the unspoken idea that whatever Butcher's doing could kill them as well, assuming its more genocidal and not a surgical strike.
      But then, if Butcher's planning to kill everyone with a trace of V in their system, why was he reluctant to off MM's Mum? She's going to die anyway...

From Butcher's other comments in this issue, it seems that he's set upon this course of action because he feels as though he has no choice but to see it through; but it's not really in his nature to do it. He's turned out just like the Homelander!

Comment

It's odd (i.e. idiotic) that none of the characters seem to know that Mallory is dead (assuming he is). In all of this, wouldn't MM have called him? They go through the deaths (Vas, Legend), but nothing on Mallory. Either Ennis has some great twist coming, or he's writing lazy.

Comment

Two other problems with this issue:

1) We get confirmation that the Female made that unattributed word balloon back in #50...which also confirms just how clumsy that panel was to begin with. Her face is reflected in the blood with her mouth shut, the word balloon points nowhere...not a good setup for that kind of reveal.

2)Ennis screws up yet another big reveal. Remember way back when MM visits his mom for the first time, and judging by the closeup panels on that door, there's obviously supposed to be something horrible in there? And further scenes make it clear that she's almost certainly gigantically obese and/or Learning Channel Documentary-size huge-breasted? Well, MM is now dead, so...big friggin' deal. Any shot of her now with anybody who isn't MM just isn't going to have the same impact. I doubt we're going to see this in the next three issues; chances are we'll see her with Janie(the only family member she has left) in #72. Assuming Garth remembers it...

Comment

Originally posted by M. Drummond View Post
            I doubt we're going to see this in the next three issues; chances are we'll see her with Janie(the only family member she has left) in #72.
            The cover and solicitation for #70 disagree with you. Unless that's Hughie going for an impromptu swim in a whole load o' semen.

EDIT: Meaning #72 will be 32 pages of Hughie and Annie repeating the following dialogue ad infinitum:

HUGHIE: But you sucked THOSE dicks!

ANNIE: But you sucked THOSE tits!
            Last edited by ambaxtoxin; 07-28-2012, 06:48 PM. Reason: Dicks and tits.

Comment

Originally posted by ambaxtoxin View Post
              ANNIE: But you sucked THOSE tits!
              Tits are good reasons for anything
              Last edited by Dannycat; 07-30-2012, 05:21 AM. Reason: Dicks just dicks

Comment

Two other problems with this issue:

1) We get confirmation that the Female made that unattributed word balloon back in #50...which also confirms just how clumsy that panel was to begin with. Her face is reflected in the blood with her mouth shut, the word balloon points nowhere...not a good setup for that kind of reveal.
                We don't know for sure if it was the the Female who spoke those words in the hanger, or indeed if the words were spoken out loud. Ambiguity.

Ennis screws up yet another big reveal. Remember way back when MM visits his mom for the first time, and judging by the closeup panels on that door, there's obviously supposed to be something horrible in there? And further scenes make it clear that she's almost certainly gigantically obese and/or Learning Channel Documentary-size huge-breasted? Well, MM is now dead, so...big friggin' deal. Any shot of her now with anybody who isn't MM just isn't going to have the same impact. I doubt we're going to see this in the next three issues; chances are we'll see her with Janie(the only family member she has left) in #72. Assuming Garth remembers it...
                I don't get your point. Whether we get to see MM's mother or not, why is it so important to see her with MM? If she's a corpulent blob the size of a basement, do we really need MM's presence for impact? Seeing her through Hughie's eyes could be all the more shocking, especially if he has to tell her that her son is dead.

Comment

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IdiotBall

"The person carrying the idiot ball is often acting out of character, misunderstanding something that could be cleared up by asking a single reasonable question or performing a simple problem-solving action, but doesn't solely because the writers don't want him to."

Comment

Originally posted by Kamakazi View Post
                    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IdiotBall

"The person carrying the idiot ball is often acting out of character, misunderstanding something that could be cleared up by asking a single reasonable question or performing a simple problem-solving action, but doesn't solely because the writers don't want him to."
                    Uh-huh. And your point is?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Rogerson View Post
                      Uh-huh. And your point is?
                      I think it's in reply to my post #33, where I wonder why nobody has thought, "Huh! I wonder what Mallory is up to? You know, the guy who formed this team, recruited each of us, and led us for so many years."

Comment

Working...
                      X