Red Room #2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Room #2

Well, I haven't been as disgusted by The Red Room as I expected, partly because the art plays down the violence by showing no-to-little graphic damage, at least to Vampirella (it's like going back to the silver age of comics!); partly because Berenton's writing isn't as amateurish as usual; and partly because the story is undeniably exciting. The artist could have milked the wheelchair bondage scene for a lot more --shown more of Vampi and maybe spent a little extra time on them -- but the fact that the grisly torture was accomplished off-screen is appreciated.

There are a lot of little things that bugged me about #1 & 2, however, and they fall under the editor's purview. A big one is the inconsistency in Vampi's powers and limitations. She's hurt by silver in #1 (this has never happened before), she fights many foes, is tortured and surely needs blood, is "weakened" in some way by the wyrms, yet she's suddenly okay and busting down stone walls fit as a fiddle. It would make a more believable, and better, story if she needed blood and took it from the rats or even Shooter (ah, for the old days of the Warren bloodlust).

I could go on, but I feel at this point that I've dodged a bullet with this thing (so far), so I'll leave well enough alone.

Unleash the Fanboy quote

This quote from an online review sums it up:

"Beyond my problems with the story, Jean Diaz delivers some passable art. Though I do wish there had been more attention paid to each individual panel. Because even though the art is at times bland there are moments where the characters themselves look rather detailed, offering readers a glimpse of how good this comic could have looked."

To add a quote from Obama (or maybe it was Rom Emanual): "Never let a good wheelchair bondage go to waste."

Comment

waiting on all issues to come in before giving it a read

Comment

RR#2 was rather overdue, so I came up with an ACME Conspiracy Theory
        that the whole RR#1 Fight Club plot was recepted so miserably that all planned
        drawings for RR#2 had been trashed and a new continuation had to be done.
        If it were so (Dynamite execs won't tell even under torture ) it did the comic good.

Comment

Originally posted by shokoshu View Post
          RR#2 was rather overdue, so I came up with an ACME Conspiracy Theory
          that the whole RR#1 Fight Club plot was recepted so miserably that all planned
          drawings for RR#2 had been trashed and a new continuation had to be done.
          If it were so (Dynamite execs won't tell even under torture ) it did the comic good.
          I might accept your premise if not for the whole Vampi vs Dracula thing. As THAT made the light of day, it obviates your argument.

Comment

Working...
          X