What IF?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What IF?

What if DE built a brand new original super team. Personally I <3 DE comics and support by buying several titles monthly. Marvel and DC having a few teams currently. I'm currently loving Prophecy, Vampirella, Vampirella vs Dracula, Ninjettes, and Pantha ect..
    Last edited by helwen; 08-06-2012, 10:19 AM.

I think hell would freeze ove XD

They have a lot of comic series they are handling right now. . . and this would take a supreme amount of effort

when you create a new universe, you are not just creating characters . . . you need to create rules, limits. . .

it is easier to write in an existing property than it is to create a new one

Comment

Originally posted by Ralok View Post
      I think hell would freeze ove XD

They have a lot of comic series they are handling right now. . . and this would take a supreme amount of effort

when you create a new universe, you are not just creating characters . . . you need to create rules, limits. . .

it is easier to write in an existing property than it is to create a new one
      I guess you're right. But what if Marvel's X-Men were never created? No Justice League or Teen Titans? What if New Warriors were set aside or the Strangers. What if Valiant turned down the idea to create Secret Weapons? I guess its pointless DE is mostly into existing properties as you say but What IF? Plus I think reader input within these forums could inspire new ideas for new characters maybe some sort of contests could be offered. I would love to offer a new character for an upcoming DE hero group.

Comment

it would be hard to get off the ground I think . . .

Comment

If I wanted another boring superteam, I'd go back to reading Marvel or DC. Used to love them once upon a time. Now they're as cheap and plentiful (and unoriginal) as what they refer to as "reality TV". Yawn.
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

I think there's some really good stuff coming out of Marvel right now (Wolverine and the X-Men, for instance). DC has some good stuff, but I don't like a lot of the rebooted DCU. (A lot of it seems grim and cynical to me.) Mainly I follow writers back and forth because I know I'll enjoy their work.

Comment

Project:Superpowers could have been their new superhero universe. They had already added some new heroes and could have eaisly added more. The GA heroes could have been the fondation with familiar characters. They went with the "big story" rather than expanding on a solid base. and it didn't work.
              Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
              Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
              http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Lesson learned: If you're going to go head-to-head in competition with the big dogs in the superhero genre, you have to offer something *different* from the standard mainstream superhero comic. But it's a tightrope act, since anything TOO different won't be embraced by the marketplace either. It has to have its own unique spin while not being TOO "standard mainstream", since Marvel and DC will always have the ability to crowd everyone else's superhero titles off the stands.
                DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                  Lesson learned: If you're going to go head-to-head in competition with the big dogs in the superhero genre, you have to offer something *different* from the standard mainstream superhero comic. But it's a tightrope act, since anything TOO different won't be embraced by the marketplace either. It has to have its own unique spin while not being TOO "standard mainstream", since Marvel and DC will always have the ability to crowd everyone else's superhero titles off the stands.
                  everybody who tries to do something different though, does something different than what they were doing twenty years ago, and the exact same thing that everyone is doing now!

everyones definition of "do something different" right now is "make superheroes emo"

Comment

That's why it's a tricky pathway to thread. If your definition of different (from TODAY's mainstream superheroes) is "the way they USED to be done X number of years ago", your title can easily wind up ignored by the marketplace as "out-of-touch" and "a dinosaur". Sometimes the best you can hope for is to cultivate a devoted cult audience for your off-th'e-beaten-path superhero book (sometimes labeled as "quirky")... I'm thinking of things like Mike Allred's MADMAN, Jay Stephens' ATOMIC CITY TALES, or Los Bros Hernandez' occasional forays into superhero territory. More often than not, the cult audience is devoted more to the specific creator(s) than to the title or character.
                    Last edited by positronic; 07-24-2012, 10:13 PM.

Comment

superheroes are still too emo these days

Comment

whatever that means

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                          whatever that means
                          it means tehy spend more time whining about their problems, then trying to be super heroes, or even trying to solve these problems. It means they mope, cry, and fight with their friends, and we are supposed to feel bad for them every time their hamster dies

"oh boo hoo, my superpowers allow me to fly I am so tormented"

Comment

Originally posted by Ralok View Post
                            superheroes are still too emo these days
                            So what your saying is that they're like everyone else in the real world?

Comment

I don't think they're "emo" in that sense (I haven't seen them mope and cry... well... at all, really...) -- over at DC, and I've posted on various threads a LOT about this over on CBR and the like, I think DC's post-Flashpoint universe has made a lot of them kind of jerky and definitely less heroic. Over at Marvel I think things are much better than a few years ago as far as heroism is concerned. And, oh, I was so looking forward to the new Supreme series...

(Since most threads here are Dynamite-specific, I haven't mentioned my feelings about other comics here much.)

Part of the issue of classic-style heroes is that many of us want, not "classic-style heroes" full stop, but "classic-style" Superman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, etc. specifically.

Comment

Working...
                              X