favorite red sonja issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• favorite red sonja issue

so....what is everybodies favorite comic issue of ol' Red? I would have to go with conan the barbarian #24, seeing as how it was her first roy thomas version appearance. In case some of ya'll have not read the issue, it starts with Red dancing on a table, then a bar brawl breaks out, then we learn that Red is an undercover spy for a rival kingdom, then she breaks into a wizard's tower to steal a valuable tiara, then she out foxes Conan, and THEN she gets away scott free! Yeah, it's a great sword-n-sorcery yarn written by Roy and penciled by Barry windsor smith. Love it.

but what about you guys?

that for sure is one of the best! I have it, and have read it many times. OF course Marvel had 3 runs of Sonja the 2 issue run/set, the Marvel Tales 7 issues, and then the Red Sonja 15 issues. Many good stories in those as well. There where a few Savage Sword ones I enjoyed with Conan and Sonja. But I guess my favorite one is a newer one, that would be Blue/One Shot. I just thought that was spot on Sonja in the story, and art work. The way that one ending showed Sonja at her best, forceful (keeping her vow) and her emotionial side, saddness at what she had to do, just felt good to read and see that Sonja was still the real deal.

Comment

an excellent choice. Red Sonja: Blue is one of the best sonja tales of all time

Comment

@comichero @brickbutler I was just passing by,checking out some posts and saw this one.I just want you to know that Im really happy to know that Red Sonja:Blue is one of your favorite.Thank you very much

Comment

np Walter, your artwork was great, the story was great, just a pleasure to read it the first time and everytime after. It' the kind of comic that fans enjoy and are thankful for when it comes out.

Comment

I agree. Even as hardcore fans of Ta-tas Mcgee, we have to be realistic and admit that probably 50% of her stories are junk. And I don't mean just the dynamite stuff, i mean ALL Red Sonja stories combined. But that just makes a gem like Conan #24 and Blue all the more special.

btw, Walter....if you check this thread again, do you have a sonja tale you are fond of?

Comment

Originally posted by brickbutler View Post
              I agree. Even as hardcore fans of Ta-tas Mcgee, we have to be realistic and admit that probably 50% of her stories are junk. And I don't mean just the dynamite stuff, i mean ALL Red Sonja stories combined. But that just makes a gem like Conan #24 and Blue all the more special.

btw, Walter....if you check this thread again, do you have a sonja tale you are fond of?
              I like almost everything Barry Windsor-Smith drew.But this Conan #24,its really amazing!!!

Comment

Maybe it's because Roy Thomas didn't write all of them...

To the question: Conan 24 - Song of Red Sonja, The Day of the Sword (Dick Giordano version), The Temple of Abomination, The Blood of the Unicorn, Master of Shadows, Red Sonja Blue

Ta-tas Mcgee?

Comment

Of the Dynamite Series, mine would be (in no particular order):

- Blue
                  - Vacant Shell (for AWESOME Paul Renaud artwork)
                  - Eric Trautmann's first arc
                  - Arrowsmith

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Sonja Fan View Post
                    Maybe it's because Roy Thomas didn't write all of them...

To the question: Conan 24 - Song of Red Sonja, The Day of the Sword (Dick Giordano version), The Temple of Abomination, The Blood of the Unicorn, Master of Shadows, Red Sonja Blue

Ta-tas Mcgee?
                    It's what my wife calls red sonja. We.....we have watched Anchorman alot.

nice list BTW

Comment

Favorite Story...

There's been a lot of good stories over the years...Blue is defintely one of them, loved Savage Queen Sonja (maybe the only person who did?) but my favorite was the old Marvel "Angels from Hell!". That cover gave me fits as a pre-teen! Just recently re-acquired it & it has held up well. ANd I for one, love the chainmail bikini!

Comment

"Episode" by Roy Thomas with art by Buscema- not only the first one I ever saw - smuggled into a high school Bible class (of all places) by someone in the late '70s - it is still the best overall issue, in my opinion (Dynamite must think so too as they have reprinted it, twice I think). Short, sweet and sexy. It was originally in the back of a Conan comic - "The Rats Dance at Ravenguard." Those were the days.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Sonja Fan View Post

Ta-tas Mcgee?
                          We would also accept: Busty La Rue, Chesty Sinclair, Teats McFadden

Comment

I would be hard pressed to pick from the old 'Marvel Features', because that's what I started with...I actually liked the Spiderman team-up (don't hurt me!) and I am excited about the new reboot-I loved when Sonja commands the girls to wash her boots...how about I oil that armor, lol!

Seriously, the old Frank Thorne work for Marvel still resonates with me today on any of his Sword & Sorcey projects..same with Smith & Buscema...not that the people don't have talen, because they do- but I think there was a different feel that made that era special...many rainy Saturdays reading comics as a kid...Red Sonja, Conan, Kull, Batman...those are special memories I try to recapture with today's books and haven't...but I watch my son (about to turn 7)with his comics...Sonic, Spongebob, tha all-ages Spiderman, and I think, this is his time, his 'Golden Age'...and I need to keep him out of the current Red Sonja box!

OK, enough waxing...onto issue 2!

Comment

Arrowsmith was terrific. I threw the book down when I found out what happened later on

Comment

Working...
                              X