Dark Shadows/Vampirella # 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Shadows/Vampirella # 1

I considered posting this on the "other titles" page, but it is a Vampirella book, too.

While the regular Dark Shadows title is firmly (and brilliantly) set in the 1970s when the TV series ended, this book is set in the present. Fortunately, that does not matter much for Barnabas and Quentin Collins, who are the only members of the family seen in issue #1--and probably will be the only Collinses seen, since the action has moved to New York City rather than based in Collinsport.

Although it would have been interesting to see how the people of Collinsport have dealt with the concept of Barnabas and Quentin not aging as the decades go by...

I like Patrick Berkenkotter's art work very much. If Guiu Vilanova ever leaves the primary DS title, I would be pleased to have Patrick take over the illustrations.

This is very much a first issue "set up" story. Not much happens, but the pieces are moved into place for issue # 2. I have not read the Vampirella books, so I cannot comment on how well she is portrayed, but I like Marc Andreyko's take on Barnabas. Still, I am not convinced that the Gothic feel of Dark Shadows blends well with the adventure hero feel of Vampirella. The first issue is good enough to make me want to read issue # 2, but as far as I am concerned the jury is still out.

Originally posted by Tulku View Post
    Still, I am not convinced that the Gothic feel of Dark Shadows blends well with the adventure hero feel of Vampirella. The first issue is good enough to make me want to read issue # 2, but as far as I am concerned the jury is still out.
    Sigh. The original and real Vampirella was all about Gothic. I can think of few things more interesting than the Warren Vampi & Pendragon breezing into Collinsport to do a show at the manor (like Alice Cooper in the DS movie). Then Conrad & Adam could show up chasing rumors of Barnabas.

Double sigh. My comic's shop has once again failed to order a Vampi title. Looks like I'll be buying directly from Dynamite from now on, or waiting on the compilation.

Comment

Originally posted by rlvaugh View Post
      Sigh. The original and real Vampirella was all about Gothic.
      Ah. Well. Didn't know that. As I mentioned, I have never before actually read a Vampirella story. My impression (from reviews) was that she was more of an adventure hero, but I accept that I am wrong about that.

I am curious, though. Since you are a fan of the Gothic Vampi, do you read the regular Dark Shadows title? I have posted comments about DS issues in the past without any substantial response, so I have formed the impression that I am the only one on these forums reading it. Which is a shame, because it is freakin' great!

Comment

I skimmed through DS #1 but it didn't grab me; I might have made a mistake. I was about 8 when the original show came on. Used to get off the bus in the afternoon, get a snack and get freaked out. I still have the board game that came out at the time. That B&W, lurking fear thing was big back then and was reflected well in the early issues of Vampirella. Dynamite should have compilations available in the online store, if you want to check them out. The first 30 or so are the best, with both a fabulous writer (Archie Goodwin) and artist (Jose Gonzalez). Possibly as a link to Dark Shadows, Conrad van Helsing (the father of Vampi's boyfriend) had a big manor house in Maine. Can't remember if it was on the coast or not, like Collinwood. Not sure they ever said.

Comment

Originally posted by rlvaugh View Post
          Sigh. The original and real Vampirella was all about Gothic. I can think of few things more interesting than the Warren Vampi & Pendragon breezing into Collinsport to do a show at the manor (like Alice Cooper in the DS movie). Then Conrad & Adam could show up chasing rumors of Barnabas.

Double sigh. My comic's shop has once again failed to order a Vampi title. Looks like I'll be buying directly from Dynamite from now on, or waiting on the compilation.
          I buy all my comics from Midtowncomics.com if you are having problems @ your local comic store I suggest Midtowncomics 100%. DS=Awesome
          Last edited by helwen; 08-25-2012, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Thanks! I will check them out.

Comment

Well, I know near nothing about Dark Shadows (right age, wrong country).
              Lessee if the xover works without me being forced to peruse Wiki

Comment

Working...
              X