Bionic Man #11

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bionic Man #11

Has anyone picked this up? Hester is taking over for writing and Tadeo on art.

I can tell this is the beginning of a new arc. I think Hester likes telling stories of relationships and conflicts between fathers and sons. This reminds me a bit of the Green Hornet Annual #1 in that respect. The set up for the next issue is very subtle. I am intrigued and looking forward to see how this title will evolve.

I have mixed feelings on the art. Full disclosure, Lau is one of my favorite comic artists. I like the level of detail and expression. You can really get a good feel for the scenes. But the art has an "archie/jughead" quality to it. Seems a little 'jolly' for an action comic? I know it takes time for the art to evolve and I think we are at a decent start.

I liked this issue a lot because I can sense the new direction of the book right off the bat and I sen get a vision for where the creative team wants to take it now, but I do have to say that I was disappointed in the pencils. Much weaker than Lau, in my opinion.
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

Decent story, horrible art. :-(

I hope Lau comes back soon, or that the current artist from #11 isn't the ongoing artist.

Comment

I am a bit worried. We saw what has become of the art since Lau left Green Hornet. It has really hurt the title. I hope Tadeo ups his game.

Comment

Originally posted by Britt68 View Post
          I am a bit worried. We saw what has become of the art since Lau left Green Hornet. It has really hurt the title. I hope Tadeo ups his game.
          Sigh...

Another amazing title with an amazing writer that dynamite has screwed over with a crappy artist. Will this trend never end? They did this with Green Hornet, The Shadow and now with Bionic Man, I can see Flash Gordon, The Spider, and other titles suffering from this in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTerror View Post
            Sigh...

Another amazing title with an amazing writer that dynamite has screwed over with a crappy artist. Will this trend never end? They did this with Green Hornet, The Shadow and now with Bionic Man, I can see Flash Gordon, The Spider, and other titles suffering from this in the future.
            So you're excusing all the titles Dynamite publishes that had crappy art from the beginning? Long runs on a title are the exception rather than the norm in comics today, so in that respect Dynamite is no different than any other publisher. It just hurts more when it's a title you personally enjoy.
            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

I think the titles with crappy art don't last very and don't have the engaged following that the quality titles do.

One of the reasons a title has a long run is that it can maintain its quality even though there is a change in the creative team. When there is a new artist (or author for that matter), we expect there to be some changes. But we also expect some continuity. It takes a few issues for things to smooth out (i.e. when Vitorino took over for Lau on GH), but in the end, we expect the quality to be similar. When you don's see that level of quality, there is frustration.

It just seems like this is happening to a lot of favorite titles lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Britt68 View Post
                I think the titles with crappy art don't last very and don't have the engaged following that the quality titles do.

One of the reasons a title has a long run is that it can maintain its quality even though there is a change in the creative team. When there is a new artist (or author for that matter), we expect there to be some changes. But we also expect some continuity. It takes a few issues for things to smooth out (i.e. when Vitorino took over for Lau on GH), but in the end, we expect the quality to be similar. When you don's see that level of quality, there is frustration.

It just seems like this is happening to a lot of favorite titles lately.
                [EDIT] "Long runs on a title for the same artist are the exception rather than the norm in comics today, so in that respect Dynamite is no different than any other publisher."

I wasn't commenting on how long the series lasts, but how long the artist lasts on the series. Yes, the latter may have something to do with the former. At any rate, if you take a look at DC or Marvel, they have the exact same problem (with the exception of a handful of artists who have exclusive contracts, for which they get the top page rates in the industry). Freelance artists are always looking to improve their position in the industry, get more exposure (and better assignments, at better page rates), and sometimes just to keep from being bored drawing the same old thing month-in, month-out.

My point is, there seems to be some sort of assumption that DE editors just point at an artist, and say, "you, do this" or "you're off this now, you're on this other thing" as if the artist was a drone with no say in the matter. And let's not forget that all things being equal, the artist will usually choose to work on the title that offers a better page rate -- and that may change over time according to how well the title sells (or doesn't). Those page rates would be set by DE according to the economics of each individual title. You might think a better artist (who gets paid a better page rate) would automatically result in a more profitable title, but the equation isn't quite that simple.
                DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Working...
                X