Stillwell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stillwell

Anyone think that Stillwell is a supe? I know it's been brought up before, but one thing I haven't read is something I just noticed when I re-read We Gotta Go Now. In #29 the VA meeting minutes seem to indicate that Stillwell was the VA employee who investigated Godolkin. But for some reason on this reading I noticed that it can also be interpreted as Stillwell having been one of Godolkin's kids who went to VA with dirt on him in exchange for a job at VA (part of the "blank check" and "everything he needed" for being "discrete", which - again - can be read like he was doing an investigation OR that he was ratting out Godolkin).

The wave between Stillwell (was he pressing his palm against the window of the chopper?) and Godolkin also seems meaningful. Maybe Godolkin thought Stillwell was still one of his kids, and that he had an inside person at VA. Stillwell wiping out the G-franchise was also wiping out everyone nearly everyone who knew he was one of them.

I also think he killed Silver Kincaid and Terror in order to put the wheels of his plans in motion, but that's not exclusive to him being a supe and/or a former Godolkin pupil.

Originally posted by BDR626 View Post
    Anyone think that Stillwell is a supe? I know it's been brought up before, but one thing I haven't read is something I just noticed when I re-read We Gotta Go Now. In #29 the VA meeting minutes seem to indicate that Stillwell was the VA employee who investigated Godolkin. But for some reason on this reading I noticed that it can also be interpreted as Stillwell having been one of Godolkin's kids who went to VA with dirt on him in exchange for a job at VA (part of the "blank check" and "everything he needed" for being "discrete", which - again - can be read like he was doing an investigation OR that he was ratting out Godolkin).
    I thought Stillwell might be supe, from a few panels in the Russia arc where he could apparently hear Red River surveillance agents slacking off in a distant room. It hasn't really been explored since, but then only one hint about the unstable V has appeared since then, and now it's the basis for Butcher's genocide plot. Sometimes I think Ennis lays the ground for developments that he later decides not to explore. Later issues portrayed Stillwell as a superman in the corporate sense (HL's comment), but no more hint of superpowers. He is built slightly, and most supes seem to be musclebound types.

All the same, I like your take on it. You could be right, but it seems a bit late in the day to carry out a big reveal now.

Comment

I'm certain that some plot points will never be covered, but I've been of the opinion that Vought Gal had Terror killed, in an attempt to escalate violence between the Boys and the Seven. My guess is that we'll never really know.

Comment

Does anyone think that Stillwell was somehow responsible for his supervisor's death back in 32-35? They left the actual event ambiguous, but I still wonder...

So many plotholes, so little time...

Comment

It's been stated that The Boys is not good vs. evil but skill vs. incompetence. I think Stillwell is the normal man who is the personification of competence, thus allowing him to defeat the strongest of supes (HL) with nothing more than raised eyebrow and a faint air of disdain.

Of course, Stillwell as portrayed doesn't really gel with VA's massive uselessness at everything except being nasty and corporate and nasty but whatever.

Comment

It's hard to understand why Ennis would fall back on the hoary old "Corporation that's making trillions through legitimate business ventures, but insists on being pointlessly Evil anyway" cliche.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamakazi View Post
              It's hard to understand why Ennis would fall back on the hoary old "Corporation that's making trillions through legitimate business ventures, but insists on being pointlessly Evil anyway" cliche.
              That's how they really are, mate. I can't make this stuff up.

Colt really did sell shoddy M16s to the US in 1965 and were responsible for the deaths of the American troops who used them in Vietnam. Including John Von Neumann may have been poetic license on my part...but Prescott Sheldon Bush really was director of the company that later became Halliburton, and later had Dick Cheney as its chairman and CEO, and later just happened to get all those tasty no-bid contracts on Iraqi oilfields. Red River is a roman-a-clef of a real-life company, Academi (formerly Blackwater Worldwide); they made more money than God charging Uncle Sam 6 times the cost of real soldiers for notoriously incompetent, trigger-happy mercenaries.

Coca-Cola, $46 billion in revenue last year notwithstanding, has union leaders assassinated in Colombia and Guatemala.

Comment

Originally posted by Garth View Post
                That's how they really are, mate. I can't make this stuff up.

Colt really did sell shoddy M16s to the US in 1965 and were responsible for the deaths of the American troops who used them in Vietnam. Including John Von Neumann may have been poetic license on my part...but Prescott Sheldon Bush really was director of the company that later became Halliburton, and later had Dick Cheney as its chairman and CEO, and later just happened to get all those tasty no-bid contracts on Iraqi oilfields. Red River is a roman-a-clef of a real-life company, Academi (formerly Blackwater Worldwide); they made more money than God charging Uncle Sam 6 times the cost of real soldiers for notoriously incompetent, trigger-happy mercenaries.

Coca-Cola, $46 billion in revenue last year notwithstanding, has union leaders assassinated in Colombia and Guatemala.
                The M-16 is a decent rifle now. I wasn't when it was introduced 50 years ago. My father told me about soldiers that were on patrol being discovered dead, with their finger nails ripped out. They realized that the soldiers ripped their own fingernails off, trying desperately to clear jams. My dad was a SFC, but a champion pistol shooter. He asked a general at a match one time (the general's admiration for my dad's shooting allowed this candor), "Sir, how did the army get saddled with a POS like the M-16?" The general replied that Colt paid LBJ, swinging the deal their way.

LBJ represented the progressive political party in the US, the guys who look out for the little guys to protect them from corporate interests. So, what lesson is there to draw here?

Comment

Originally posted by statsman View Post
                  So, what lesson is there to draw here?
                  Well, far be it from a humble Irish funnybook writer to pass judgment on US politics...but I would suggest that the Democrats haven't really been a progressive party that looks out for the little guy since the 1930's. Big oil owns the puppet on the right, big insurance owns the puppet on the left.

That, and: we, as a species, are cunts.
                  Last edited by Garth; 08-13-2012, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Well, far be it from a humble Irish funnybook writer to pass judgment on US politics...but I would suggest that the Democrats haven't really been a progressive party that looks out for the little guy since the 1930's. Big oil owns the puppet on the right, big insurance owns the puppet on the left.
                    Is this similar to the "Well, real communism, the way Marx described it, has never really been tried" argument I used to hear in college? I used to reply that the lefty making sucha statement was condescending to the USSR, PRC, etc., when they claimed the failed commies weren't "trying". Let's face it. The party members in the various hellhole people's republics had grown up studying communism, they ad been active participants since childhood, they fervently believed, they subscribed to Communism Monthly (Weekly, even!), they attended regular party conferences. It's terribly insulting to say they weren't trying. Of course they were trying. It's just that the system sucked.

Similarly, it's insulting to say the architect of the Great Society wasn't progressive. He was. He was also a crook.

That, and: we, as a species, are cunts.
                    OK, that I can agree with. You, me, and John Calvin can all agree on this.

Comment

Is this similar to the "Well, real communism, the way Marx described it, has never really been tried" argument I used to hear in college?
                      Not at all, that's a load of silly moonbat bollocks. There are examples of good, functional, Scandinavian-style social safety nets in the world. The yanks don't have one, and Democrats don't promote anything like one - look at the bullshit healthcare bill they just passed. I don't care how much of a bleeding heart LBJ was, the Great Society was even more of a fucking band-aid than the New Deal.

insulting
                      Who, me?

Comment

Not at all, that's a load of silly moonbat bollocks. There are examples of good, functional, Scandinavian-style social safety nets in the world. The yanks don't have one, and Democrats don't promote anything like one - look at the bullshit healthcare bill they just passed. I don't care how much of a bleeding heart LBJ was, the Great Society was even more of a fucking band-aid than the New Deal.[/I]
                        Yes, homogenuous societies have proven wonderful places to establish stable societies, for...thousands of years?

As for safety nets, the US has a damned good one. Everybody gets access to healthcare, despite their inability to pay (Obamacare provides health insurance, not healthcare), and the largest health problem of the poor is morbid obesity, due to the easy availability of cheap calories, combined with universal TV ownership and air-conditioning. It's not a paradise, obviously- the main flaw is that they have to ask for help, instead of getting to demand it.

Comment

Wow, a politics thread!

I'd merely point out that contrary to popular American belief, Communism has actually been INSANELY, OVERWHELMINGLY successful in most countries where it's been tried... as long as what you're comparing it to is what came before and/or after it.

Russia's ONLY period of being a global superpower came during Communism. Same thing with China. Prior to Communism, they were a ninth-world nation, socially and economically oppresses by whatever group of people decided to conquer them at any given moment. Hell, Japan kicked their asses all by themselves. Now China is the second biggest economy in the world.

Cuba was basically just Florida's nightclub- an island of virtual slaves, owned and paid for by sugar and tobacco corporations. Their standard of living (for everyone except the plantation owners, obviously) skyrocketed after they went Communist.

I'm not saying I'd want to live any of those places. I'm just saying that I run a group of programmers and support personnel out of the Ukraine and various other former Soviet states, and most of them don't seem to feel that they're better off since we forced them into bankruptcy during the Arms Race. Hell, they live in a frigid hellscape with almost no natural resources, and yet Americans blame their economic collapse on "Communism". The fact is that Communism was the only thing that allowed them to prop themselves up as a major player on the global scene. The moment Communism went away, so did any significance, power, and prestige that they formerly had.
                          Last edited by Kamakazi; 08-14-2012, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamakazi View Post
                            Russia's ONLY period of being a global superpower came during Communism. Same thing with China. Prior to Communism, they were a ninth-world nation, socially and economically oppresses by whatever group of people decided to conquer them at any given moment. Hell, Japan kicked their asses all by themselves. Now China is the second biggest economy in the world.
                            I seem to recall Deng Xiaoping having something to do with that? These days, China's got a freer market than my homeland. (Not that Cuba or Venezuela aren't arguably better off under the iron heel, mind).

Yes, homogenuous societies have proven wonderful places to establish stable societies, for...thousands of years?
                            The lesson I take from those places is that single-payer healthcare, free education, high union density, and decentralized wage coordination make for stable countries. Wouldn't you agree there are at least a few 'homogeneous societies' that are absolute shitholes? How's Greece doing these days, by the way?

As for safety nets, the US has a damned good one. Everybody gets access to healthcare, despite their inability to pay (Obamacare provides health insurance, not healthcare),
                            I suppose if you make less than $15k annually and qualify for medicaid you'll come out all right when it kicks in next year. If you're a few income brackets up, I don't envy you.

Come now, can you seriously tell me the Democratic Party isn't in the pocket of insurance companies?

morbid obesity
                            That and debt peonage, mate.

Comment

Sorry to hijack, but here's the solicitation for #72...

The long day closes on the Brooklyn Bridge, as our hero finally meets his destiny. There's one last deal to be done, as Stillwell finds out the real cost of doing business, and one last surprise for Rayner too - as she begins her long-dreamed of political career.

Comment

Working...
                              X