Solicitation for #72

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solicitation for #72

The long day closes on the Brooklyn Bridge, as our hero finally meets his destiny. There's one last deal to be done, as Stillwell finds out the real cost of doing business, and one last surprise for Rayner too - as she begins her long-dreamed of political career.
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/08/...n-superheroes/

"Our hero"?

Unless THIS marthafocker is coming back, I somehow doubt it....

Comment

Originally posted by Kamakazi View Post
      "Our hero"?

Unless THIS marthafocker is coming back, I somehow doubt it....

Hughie is the only thing even close to hero at this point.

Comment

I've just been re-reading the final Preacher TPB, and it has to be said quite a lot happens over the last couple of issues. Maybe we're in for a few curveballs... possible SPOILERS ahead.

My predictions have been a bit hit and miss, but I got Volgelbaum and the final supe-solution plot absolutely spot-on. Now I'm looking forward to being surprised, but I am expecting to see the following...

1. Stillwell finally gets his just desserts... from who I have no idea, but Jess Bradley may have a hand in it
        2. Hughie wins the day in a flawed, complicated kind of way that will annoy this board. Jings!
        3. Raynor's bid for the presidency is foiled by footage/ audio of her and Butcher. This could be the final scene.

The curveball.... Butcher's controlled detonations go off, but to no effect, as Vogelbaum had no desire to be complicit in a genocide.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Rogerson View Post
          1. Stillwell finally gets his just desserts... from who I have no idea, but Jess Bradley may have a hand in it
          That's heavily suggested by the solicitation for #72. Maybe it'll something as sappy as him realising that he's actually fallen in love with Bradley, and shooting himself in the head when she's incarcerated for life?

2. Hughie wins the day in a flawed, complicated kind of way that will annoy this board. Jings!
          I'd... prefer it if he didn't.

3. Raynor's bid for the presidency is foiled by footage/ audio of her and Butcher. This could be the final scene.
          That'd be a terrible final scene, being as nobody really gives a shit about Rayner. Or do they? I certainly don't.

The curveball.... Butcher's controlled detonations go off, but to no effect, as Vogelbaum had no desire to be complicit in a genocide.
          Don't you think the cover implies that Butcher's plan succeeds?

One more thing: how does everybody think Annie January is going to be involved in all this?

Comment

Originally posted by ambaxtoxin View Post
            That's heavily suggested by the solicitation for #72. Maybe it'll something as sappy as him realising that he's actually fallen in love with Bradley, and shooting himself in the head when she's incarcerated for life?
            Yes, not exactly amazing guesswork there I admit. But Stillwell's been permitted to keep some sort of dignity all along, and it would be quite satisfying to see him shot down in flames, one way or another. We live and hope.

I'd... prefer it if he didn't.
            Point. But pretty much everyone on this board says they would have written Hughie differently. In a way, it was quite brave of Ennis to write such a wishy-washy central protagonist. It would have been pretty boring to have another Jesse Custer. There's a lot about the Hughie character I really like... even Ennis has acknowledged the character has frustrated a lot of readers. I preferred Hughie in the first three or four arcs. The bottom line is The Boys needed Hughie as much as it needed Butcher.

That'd be a terrible final scene, being as nobody really gives a shit about Rayner. Or do they? I certainly don't.
            Well, perhaps not THE final scene. Preacher had about three final scenes, including two DPSs given over to Jesse and Tulip riding off into the sunset. That said, I reckon presidential nomination rally and a big backdrop screen with footage of Butcher and Raynor grinding away would be pretty cool somewhere in the mix.

Don't you think the cover implies that Butcher's plan succeeds?
            That is the most obvious interpretation, so yes... maybe. I'd like to see Hughie and Annie survive, because I'm a sentimental fucker. Also, it just seems a bit artless to simply kill everyone.

One more thing: how does everybody think Annie January is going to be involved in all this?
            Hughie meets her in Central Park... final scene part II.......?

Comment

It really seems to me that this series got away from Ennis. Think back to how it started- a grim, farcical look at the ridiculous superhero tropes, laughing at how implausible they are (selfless god-like beings that dress in colorful tight costumes, foreswear vice and carefully maintain covert lives as regular people), and compare it to what it is ending as- a complex plot of intrigues and conspiracies, with mysteries revealed and points turning on understanding the dark psyches of main characters. Is this what he intended?

Early issues had points that have since disappeared. There was the early comment about Teen Kix having "missions" as if supes had real adventures. The humor is almost all gone. Looking back, the death of Hughie's girlfriend was darkly humorous, in a Coyote/Roadrunner way. Ennis has admitted that Annie was conceived as a throwaway character, basically introduced for the laugh of her initiation into the JLA. She only "grew" as he decided to throw more character development into the story.

I fear we have lost a fun series (what the Boys was) and gained a pedestrian one.

Comment

I wouldn't be all that shocked if Hughie leaves Annie a "In case of my demise" package to screw everyone involved over with.

Comment

I can see a zombified Hughie at the end of all this, hanging out with Annie or Superduper. A total throw back/homage to "Sean of the Dead."

Comment

Originally posted by statsman View Post
                    It really seems to me that this series got away from Ennis. Think back to how it started- a grim, farcical look at the ridiculous superhero tropes, laughing at how implausible they are (selfless god-like beings that dress in colorful tight costumes, foreswear vice and carefully maintain covert lives as regular people), and compare it to what it is ending as- a complex plot of intrigues and conspiracies, with mysteries revealed and points turning on understanding the dark psyches of main characters. Is this what he intended?
                    I very much doubt it, and you explain why yourself:

Originally posted by statsman View Post
                    Ennis has admitted that Annie was conceived as a throwaway character, basically introduced for the laugh of her initiation into the JLA. She only "grew" as he decided to throw more character development into the story.
                    And Annie's first meeting with Hughie is in issue #5. Within five issues of writing, Ennis had already changed whatever 'master plan' he had for the series. It makes me wonder whether he actually had a master plan in the first place.

To be fair, Annie's transition from heavily religious do-gooder to self-assured nymphomaniac was a lot more believable than Hughie's recent surge of semi-competence.

Comment

Can't a man get the benefit of the fucking doubt? Clearly I was wary of mapping out a master plan while the little matter of Wildstorm continuing it was still up in the air. We found ourselves on sturdier ground with Dynamite, so Darick and I decided to go ahead with the longer-term ideas we'd been tossing around.

I don't come to your jobs and piss over your bloody shoulders now do I?!

Comment

Originally posted by Garth View Post
                        Can't a man get the benefit of the fucking doubt? Clearly I was wary of mapping out a master plan while the little matter of Wildstorm continuing it was still up in the air. We found ourselves on sturdier ground with Dynamite, so Darick and I decided to go ahead with the longer-term ideas we'd been tossing around.

You've got to admit it's preferable to the 'will this do' reviews penned by work experience kids on various comic sites. The people here care, but I've gotta admit it's a tough crowd. I can't speak for the others, but I wouldn't bother coming here if I didn't enjoy the book. At its best, it really has been very special indeed.

So, what has Garth enjoyed most about writing The Boys?

Comment

Originally posted by Garth View Post
                          You don't? I work in Product Development at Vought Aircraft.

Comment

Working...
                          X