Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pantha

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pantha

    So has anyone been reading Pantha? Brandon Jerwa has been kicking ass with the series thus far, so if you haven't read them yet get out there and do it already. Pantha is smartly written, and most importantly, Jerwa, has a an understanding of what makes the characters tick, he gets that universe and is writing the hell out of it. I understand that he's taking over on Vampi which is much welcome news for me. The guy can spin a good yarn and he gets the characters, looks like I get start buying Vampirella again!

  • #2
    Pantha is awesome

    Comment


    • #3
      His first issue of Vampirella comes out Wednesday, Aug. 22.
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

      Comment


      • #4
        This Pantha is greatly improved over the Harris stories . . .

        Comment


        • #5
          President/Publisher

          Guys,

          Glad you're enjoying the series. If you can get the word out with links to the website, that would be awesome!

          thanks!

          Nick

          Comment


          • #6
            The series started great! The title should have been crosslinked to the Vampirella titles on Dynamites site, though. I completely accidentally bumped into the title, hrm erm , somewhere else on the Internet and immediately placed a backorder at my local comic shop. Now that I have it:

            - For once I won't bitch on Originitis, since Pantha never had an officially one. (I won't even mention the "typographic mutation" on Dra...oops, too late. )
            - Not so great: Mamba. Archenemies directly belong into superhero comics. Especially when they have only one name Ah well, at least the Monstergirl fanclub will be happy...
            Anyway. A well deserved abonnement. Keep em coming.

            Comment


            • #7
              Black Pantha???

              I just wish DE would get their shit together editorially. In last week's Dark Shadows / Vampirella #2, Pantha is (a) a stripper, and (b) black. Now, if that's the direction that DE chose to go in for their version of the character, I'd have no problem with it. (After all, she morphs into a black panther, so I guess it makes a certain amount of sense...?) And if they want to establish that she works as a stripper (I have no idea if this was ever part of the character's history at Warren Publications), so be it, but let's just make sure she's the same character in all her DE appearances.

              BUT.... I see no evidence that these things are legitimate editorial decisions, in PANTHA's own title. She appears to be caucasian in her own book, and there's nothing mentioned about her working in a strip club. COULD WE HAVE A LITTLE EDITORIAL CONSISTENCY PLEASE????
              Last edited by positronic; 09-19-2012, 02:55 PM.
              DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by positronic View Post
                COULD WE HAVE A LITTLE EDITORIAL CONSISTENCY PLEASE????
                That train sailed a long time ago. For the last 20 years, the only thing editors associated with Vampirella products seem to do is press a spellcheck button. I assume the pay is commensurate.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by positronic View Post
                  In last week's Dark Shadows / Vampirella #2, Pantha is (a) a stripper, and (b) black. Now, if that's the direction that DE chose to go in for their version of the character, I'd have no problem with it. (After all, she morphs into a black panther, so I guess it makes a certain amount of sense...?)
                  Warren expert to the help! Yes, in ancient times Pantha worked as a stripper. Yes, in ancient times Pantha was black (Auraleon version) or caucasian (later sidekick version). Already the Warren fans bitched about the latter Warren officially answered that Pantha is an alien from Draculon (Drakulon? Drackulon? ) and applying Earthian race models make no sense. (Which was a more polite version of "%&$ you!")

                  For myself, I concluded that since Pantha is a shapeshifter, changing her skin color at will should be inside her abilities (she isn't Beast Boy ) and when I Poser3D her, I render her dark brown. This approach also works splendid for Vampirella.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by shokoshu View Post
                    Warren expert to the help! Yes, in ancient times Pantha worked as a stripper. Yes, in ancient times Pantha was black (Auraleon version) or caucasian (later sidekick version). Already the Warren fans bitched about the latter Warren officially answered that Pantha is an alien from Draculon (Drakulon? Drackulon? ) and applying Earthian race models make no sense. (Which was a more polite version of "%&$ you!")

                    For myself, I concluded that since Pantha is a shapeshifter, changing her skin color at will should be inside her abilities (she isn't Beast Boy ) and when I Poser3D her, I render her dark brown. This approach also works splendid for Vampirella.
                    So which came first at Warren (or maybe, since it was a black & white comic, it's not really a relevant question)... black Pantha or caucasian Pantha? I'm assuming she never bumped Vampi off the cover of her own magazine, so maybe it really was ambiguious.
                    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      As I already implied, this version

                      http://i.ebayimg.com/t/WARREN-PRESENTS-8-PANTHA-1980-FINE-AURALEON-CAT-PEOPLE-/00/s/MTYwMFgxMTgx/$%28KGrHqJ,!i4E-%29cU%29z6dBP4LvhvEew~~60_57.JPG

                      is the later. Note the lack of amulet (at least that's canon , Vampirella dug it up).

                      And here is the relevant scene from Warren (very mild pr0n warning )
                      http://imgur.com/T08z1
                      So she never was black-skinned in the first time?
                      Of course, you're right - in a B/W comic you'll never know...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by shokoshu View Post
                        As I already implied, this version

                        http://i.ebayimg.com/t/WARREN-PRESENTS-8-PANTHA-1980-FINE-AURALEON-CAT-PEOPLE-/00/s/MTYwMFgxMTgx/$%28KGrHqJ,!i4E-%29cU%29z6dBP4LvhvEew~~60_57.JPG

                        is the later. Note the lack of amulet (at least that's canon , Vampirella dug it up).

                        And here is the relevant scene from Warren (very mild pr0n warning )
                        http://imgur.com/T08z1
                        So she never was black-skinned in the first time?
                        Of course, you're right - in a B/W comic you'll never know...
                        After looking at those examples, I'm more confused than ever. On the cover of her own Warren magazine (a one-shot? reprint?), she doesn't appear to be black. On the interior art page, she's drawn as if she *could* be black (but no confirmation, since the page isn't in color), and another black character seems to think she IS black, yet she states point blank "I'm NOT BLACK!" (emphasis in the original lettering).

                        I guess the one thing the dialogue confirms is that she was working as a stripper (excuse me, "dancer") at the time.
                        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          And just to confuse things even more, there was a DC character called Pantha (who was black and hispanic) who was a member of the New Titans for about 5 minutes, and of course the Golden Age Nedor/Standard Comics jungle girl character (who wasn't black) called Princess Pantha. Sadly, while both of those characters rate an entry on Wikipedia, the Warren/Harris/Dynamite comics Pantha does not.
                          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by positronic View Post
                            And just to confuse things even more, there was a DC character called Pantha (who was black and hispanic) who was a member of the New Titans for about 5 minutes, and of course the Golden Age Nedor/Standard Comics jungle girl character (who wasn't black) called Princess Pantha. Sadly, while both of those characters rate an entry on Wikipedia, the Warren/Harris/Dynamite comics Pantha does not.
                            Which is like a license to lulz. I just imagined two panthers (one black, one green) doing it like rabbits,
                            caption: "Whatchamean, wrong Pantha?"
                            (BTW, image-google the Titan Pantha and find the same bleaching effect, toon version or not...)

                            And I haven't even mentioned Panthea by Trina Robbins (! - insert conspiracy theorys after the beep)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Pantha

                              I'm really enjoying the Pantha series, I mean really. I don't know the old story behind pantha, and I don't care...why does anybody care. I'm sure old elements will be reused but this is a new story. finsished 5 looking forward to 6

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X