The Boys Film 'Revival'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Boys Film 'Revival'

Just seen this quote from the incredibly under-qualified Adam 'Anchorman' and 'Eastbound and Down' McKay on his vision for The Boys movie now that Paramount are kicking the idea about:

“It’s now PG-13. But I found cool ways to keep it edgy. Nolan does so much with that rating. I want this movie to have the conceptual floor of MIB: the police for the superheroes, with the bad ass action groove of The Matrix or Oldboy.”

So to reiterate that's a PG-13 rated Boys with a framework inspired by Men In Black directed by a man who's pedigree consists of Will Ferrell comedies.

What a fucking cunt.

I bet they even get Pegg to dust off his vaunted 'Scotch' accent and cripple his credibility even further by actually playing Wee bloody Hughie who's comedic catchphrase will most certainly be delivered 'knowingly' and with tooth crunching inevitability at every opportunity and will be (without doubt) 'Jings'.

Or more likely it'll continue to get bounced from studio to studio in increasingly bastardised forms until McKay and Pegg just change the name to something like 'Hero Police' and then blow their own brains out in a sordid suicide pact when it bombs THROUGH THE BOX-OFFICE FLOOR (or worse still, succeeds hugely and becomes one of those cult 'dark superhero comedies' that've become their own sodding genre these days) in a display of remorseful self-hatred which absolutely noone will notice.

Oh and Malchemical will be played briefly (and wackily) in a cameo role by Will Ferrell.

Obviously.

Cunts.
    Last edited by DSW; 08-21-2012, 10:52 PM.

Well all this is missing is Will Smith playing Oh Father

Comment

My 'useless tosser' sense is tingling like crazy.

Is Stillwell producing this movie?

Comment

I believe not. Russell Crowe has apparently been in talks to play Butcher before though. Presumably with some kind of prosthetic chin.
        Last edited by DSW; 08-22-2012, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DSW View Post
          Just seen this quote from the incredibly under-qualified Adam 'Anchorman' and 'Eastbound and Down' McKay on his vision for The Boys movie now that Paramount are kicking the idea about:

“It’s now PG-13. But I found cool ways to keep it edgy. Nolan does so much with that rating. I want this movie to have the conceptual floor of MIB: the police for the superheroes, with the bad ass action groove of The Matrix or Oldboy.”
          Aside from all the other reasons you listed to hate this guy: Anyone who likes "Oldboy" would literally eat feces out of a hobo's buttcrack.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamakazi View Post
            Aside from all the other reasons you listed to hate this guy: Anyone who likes "Oldboy" would literally eat feces out of a hobo's buttcrack.
            .... which in turn would be preferable to having to watch Oldboy again. Utter tosh, I thought. And it doesn't really fit into McKay's vision, I think he dropped the name to try and look vogueish, and failed because Oldboy is bad art. At least I know The Boys movie is doomed, so I don't have to worry about it.

Comment

Steady on now, chaps... what's wrong with Oldboy?

Comment

Ask the octopus.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Rogerson View Post
                  Ask the octopus.
                  Even if long-decomposed fecal matter COULD speak, my Korean's a little rusty. You'll have to fill in for him.

Comment

The turd-cephalopod says the movie was a dog, and not even an edible one.

And he'd know.

Comment

The turd-cephalopod says the movie was a dog, and not even an edible one.

And he'd know.
                      Do you really believe that? Compared to how The Boys movie will inevitably end up (should it ever see the light of day), Oldboy is a fucking masterpiece. What exactly did you dislike about it? I'm not saying it's without flaws, by any means, but; it's no Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, right?

Comment

To be honest I just didn't find any aspect of it enjoyable. I haven't really thought about it much, though I am a film buff and can normally bang on what I like and dislike about any given movie. It had been quite heavily hyped online and in the movie press here in England, and I was ready to see something fresh and original. But I just found it wearing and grim. I didn't really identify with any of the characters and beneath the savvy pop-culture veneer, I thought it was pretty vapid. I felt empty watching it.
                        I don't think I have anything serious against the movie. I am a marine conservationist, so I suppose I could have done without the octopus scene, which felt a bit stagey in any case. Octopus are pretty smart, you know.
                        To me, Oldboy was really an arthouse movie with a few flashes of violence and some willfully outrageous plot ideas. As I get older, I have less and less patience for arthouse flicks in general. Above all, I value sincereity in a movie.
                        I can see why McKay thinks it's a pretty cool movie to reference, to show us there's more to him than we've seen thus far. I can see why some folks would like the film, but it wasn't for me. That's it I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by ambaxtoxin View Post
                          Steady on now, chaps... what's wrong with Oldboy?
                          ...really? Really?
                          Last edited by Kamakazi; 09-08-2012, 12:42 AM.

Comment

I haven't really thought about it much, though I am a film buff and can normally bang on what I like and dislike about any given movie.
                            Ah, maybe that's the difference. I rarely watch films, and was probably just happy to see something that wasn't fucking Dodgeball. That said, I also watched it back in England (after a recommendation from a Chinese college classmate who was really into her Asian cinema) and don't remember anybody else I spoke to about it knowing anything about the film until I brought it up. Also, from a photographer's standpoint, Oldboy is pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by ambaxtoxin View Post
                              Also, from a photographer's standpoint, Oldboy is pretty.
                              I have to agree there – the cinematography was very striking. I'd like to say I'll watch it again in light of your comments (pretty much everyone on this board has an opinion worth listening to)... but I won't be in too much of a hurry.

Comment

Working...
                              X