Issue 70

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue 70

I'm not going to go into huge detail here, as others on this board are much more adept at the review and recap malarkey.

After reading this issue, the first thing that struck me is how little there is to read once you've got past the six pages of the preview, which account for some (but not all) of the stranger things going on in this month's installment.

So, a few possible SPOILERS ahead, so read on with caution...

Those of us who had hoped to see Hughie morph into some indomitable hero after his lactic enhancement will be disappointed. When you see his confrontation with Butcher, it's really just the same old Hughie; I think this bears out Ennis' point that there are people who are trained and competent in violence, and there are the rest of us. Someone has already pointed out that The Boys is more about competence v incompetence, and to suddenly turn Hughie into a tartan terminator would have been ridiculous. Credit to Ennis for this – he wasn't looking for some earth shattering change in Hughie's character - he wanted us to have a flawed protangonist and we've had to live with the frustration of Hughie's failings all along. In a world of superheroes, he's just a guy, and that's what makes him special in the context of The Boys. I didn't really get this until I saw his pathetic, flailing attack on Butcher. He's a lover, not a fighter maaaaan....

Elsewhere, we get a resolution to the saga of the blood-flecked semen – and the mystery masturbator is someone that several on this board put in the frame quite recently. Good call, onanist-spotters!

A fair amount of space is given over to bedroom talk between Stillwell and 'Jessica', who is getting jumpy. I'm not sure if this is Ennis' didactic lecture on Corporate America, or whether it's building up to something more interesting, but I found this section a bit flat – and I'm not talking about Jessie's chest.

So, it's all set up for the penultimate issue. Will Butcher's attempt to save Hughie end up foiling his own plan? Will Hughie discover a latent ability to fly thanks to Mrs Milk's magical elixir? Will we see Annie in the buff again? Who knows... who cares? Whatever, I'll be reading The Boys a l'outrance, as Frenchie would say.
    Last edited by Simon Rogerson; 09-05-2012, 02:24 PM.

According to the next issue cover, Hughie will be street pizza with a dumb accent.

Comment

Originally posted by saidestroyer View Post
      According to the next issue cover, Hughie will be street pizza with a dumb accent.
      Solicitation for #72 refers to 'our hero'. Maybe Hughie survives, despite the 'death' cover. Perhaps Momma Milk has given him the power of flight. Or maybe Annie puts in a timely appearance...

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Rogerson View Post
        Solicitation for #72 refers to 'our hero'.
        Which, for at least 5 issues, the writer of the solicitations has assumed to be Hughie.

Maybe Hughie survives
        He almost certainly will.

Perhaps Momma Milk has given him the power of flight.
        Unlikely. And what the fuck was the aftermath of that scene? Hughie sucks a black snake-boob and then casually walks home? I really expected him to at least say something along the lines of: "But I'm NOT yo' boyyyy... he dead." Followed by MM's Mom finally giving up and dissolving into a basement full o' milk or what the fuck ever.

Also, MM's Mom was basically the Groke from The Moomins. With a perm. And snaketits.

Click image for larger version

Name:	groke-480x360.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	48659

Or maybe Annie puts in a timely appearance...
        Incredibly likely, to the point that I'd call it inevitable. Annie catches Hughie, Hughie somehow manages to demand that she save Butcher too, she does so, they swoop back up to the roof, lots of unrealistic dialogue, et cetera.

EDIT:

After reading this issue, the first thing that struck me is how little there is to read once you've got past the six pages of the preview, which account for some (but not all) of the stranger things going on in this month's installment.
        I completely agree with your point, but it's actually eight pages. And maybe that's why. It's somewhat akin to a thirty minute trailer; only the 'trailer' shows the entire first act of the film.
        Last edited by ambaxtoxin; 09-05-2012, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X