Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What current comics should I read here? Is there a good starting point?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What current comics should I read here? Is there a good starting point?

    Hey, I am new to Dynamite and I don't know much about their comics. I have Masks #1 on pre-order because it looked cool, but I want more comics!! I put the first volume of The Shadow on pre-order because I have heard that Ennis is a good writer.

    What other comics should I buy here? Can any of you list some great ones? Thanks!!

    OK, I saw a new series called Battlefields by Ennis and I want to pre-order it. However, I saw there were a couple of mini-series before it that tie into it. Do you think I can read this mini-series without those? I mean, I actually am interested in the other ones, I just can't purchase them before this new mini-series. Do yall think I need to know anything before reading it?

    Sorry about all these questions!!
    Last edited by weshes195; 09-09-2012, 11:18 PM.

  • #2
    Originally posted by weshes195 View Post
    Hey, I am new to Dynamite and I don't know much about their comics. I have Masks #1 on pre-order because it looked cool, but I want more comics!! I put the first volume of The Shadow on pre-order because I have heard that Ennis is a good writer.

    What other comics should I buy here? Can any of you list some great ones? Thanks!!
    Well, if you're going to pick up MASKS, then yes, you should absolutely pick up The Shadow also. I would recommend picking up the 2 trade paperback volumes of Green Hornet: Year One as well (art by Aaron Campbell, same artist as on The Shadow), since Green Hornet and Kato are also in MASKS, and if you like those, then by all means pick up the 2 trade collections of the companion series, Kato: Origins.

    The Spider featured in the current Dynamite Spider series isn't quite the same one appearing in MASKS, but sort of a modern variant, but that series is excellent, even better than The Shadow, and one of the top books DE publishes. And it's only a few issues into the series, so it shouldn't be that hard to catch up. In a similar vein, DE's ongoing Green Hornet title is a modern-day updating of that character.

    I also highly recommend both Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist and its companion series, Merciless: The Rise of Ming. Good reading for SF fans, and a great updating (in a retro vein) of an all-time classic.

    If you like westerns (and frankly, even if you don't), you should check out DE's Zorro and Lone Ranger series. You might be surprised, these books have converted a lot of disbelievers.

    Also recommended are DE's adaptations of Edgar Rice Burroughs' public domain works, Warlord of Mars (and its companion title Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris, but give the miniseries Dejah Thoris and the White Apes of Mars a miss) and their adaptation of "Tarzan of the Apes", Lord of the Jungle.

    That should be enough to keep you busy for a while. Sorry, I don't have any information on Battlefields.
    Last edited by positronic; 09-10-2012, 02:22 AM.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

    Comment


    • #3
      Definitely agree with the Spider and Shadow recommendations, as well as the Green Hornet: Year One.

      And Lone Ranger is simply one of the best books on the stands right now.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks positronic and jsf!!!! I will get into those thanks!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by positronic View Post
          Well, if you're going to pick up MASKS, then yes, you should absolutely pick up The Shadow also. I would recommend picking up the 2 trade paperback volumes of Green Hornet: Year One as well (art by Aaron Campbell, same artist as on The Shadow), since Green Hornet and Kato are also in MASKS, and if you like those, then by all means pick up the 2 trade collections of the companion series, Kato: Origins.

          The Spider featured in the current Dynamite Spider series isn't quite the same one appearing in MASKS, but sort of a modern variant, but that series is excellent, even better than The Shadow, and one of the top books DE publishes. And it's only a few issues into the series, so it shouldn't be that hard to catch up. In a similar vein, DE's ongoing Green Hornet title is a modern-day updating of that character.

          I also highly recommend both Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist and its companion series, Merciless: The Rise of Ming. Good reading for SF fans, and a great updating (in a retro vein) of an all-time classic.

          If you like westerns (and frankly, even if you don't), you should check out DE's Zorro and Lone Ranger series. You might be surprised, these books have converted a lot of disbelievers.

          Also recommended are DE's adaptations of Edgar Rice Burroughs' public domain works, Warlord of Mars (and its companion title Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris, but give the miniseries Dejah Thoris and the White Apes of Mars a miss) and their adaptation of "Tarzan of the Apes", Lord of the Jungle.

          That should be enough to keep you busy for a while. Sorry, I don't have any information on Battlefields.
          Hey, I got a question about Flash gordon and that merciless series. I am ordering 1-6 of Zeitgeist; has 7-10 got a date when they are coming out? Also, I added 1-3 of Merciless, but did #4 come out? Also, do you think I will understand them without knowing the character?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by weshes195 View Post
            Hey, I got a question about Flash gordon and that merciless series. I am ordering 1-6 of Zeitgeist; has 7-10 got a date when they are coming out? Also, I added 1-3 of Merciless, but did #4 come out? Also, do you think I will understand them without knowing the character?
            Issue #6 of FG:Z just came out last Wednesday (9/05), BUT (and I should probably tell you this before you find out the hard way) Dynamite's titles don't always ship on a strict monthly basis. Over time they sometimes tend to fall a little (sometimes a LOT) behind, although some are much better at keeping a regular schedule than others. And unlike DC and Marvel's titles, Dynamite's are not tied to a particular ship date in any given month when they are solicited -- it's hoped that they'll ship between 2 and 3 months after they are solicited in Diamond's PREVIEWS catalog, but that doesn't always happen. You'll have to get used to it, and develop patience. The other way to do it, as some people prefer, is to just wait until these stories are collected in trade paperback form. The first Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist TPB was solicited in last month's Diamond PREVIEWS.

            Can you understand DE's Flash Gordon without knowing the character? Sure. The story is retold from the beginning as it was in the original comic strip in 1934. Which is the exact same story used in the old movie serial (the first one, of three) starring Buster Crabbe from the 1930s. It's also the same story used for the 1980 film starring Sam Jones as Flash and Max Von Sydow as Ming (with soundtrack supplied by Queen). So yes, the story is understandable to a first-timer without any prior knowledge; DE has given their own version a few unique twists, that you are better left to discover for yourself by comparison. BUT, given the easy availability of both the original serial (which was an inspiration for STAR WARS), and the 1980 film version (which probably wouldn't have gotten made if not for STAR WARS), I'd recommend seeing both (either before, or after, reading Dynamite's version). I think seeing the different variations on the basic story from the 1930s, to the 1980s, to now, will increase your appreciation of the material. And, if you really like the story after reading DE's version and seeing the movies, then look into picking up IDW's hardcover reprint collection of Alex Raymond's original comic strip. Oh, and as a side note, there was a cartoon series (also available on DVD) made in the late 1970s, just a couple of years prior to the movie. Remarkably, ALL of the various versions of Flash Gordon (1936 serial, 1970s cartoon, 1980 movie, DE's) are pretty faithful to Alex Raymond's original comic strip, yet all of them have their own unique features and additions to the same basic storyline. DE's adds an Earth-based parallel story involving Ming's alliance with Hitler's Nazi regime that's unique.

            Merciless is another story (only the first 3 issues are out so far), and a completely original one for DE, which tells nothing less than the (never before revealed anywhere) story of how Ming became Emperor of the the planet Mongo. Perhaps best read after reading FG:Z, and in fact, again, I think you'll appreciate this more after seeing the movies. But that's just an opinion; it's not strictly necessary. Chronologically, it takes place years before Flash Gordon arrived on Mongo (so he isn't in it).
            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by positronic View Post
              Issue #6 of FG:Z just came out last Wednesday (9/05), BUT (and I should probably tell you this before you find out the hard way) Dynamite's titles don't always ship on a strict monthly basis. Over time they sometimes tend to fall a little (sometimes a LOT) behind, although some are much better at keeping a regular schedule than others. And unlike DC and Marvel's titles, Dynamite's are not tied to a particular ship date in any given month when they are solicited -- it's hoped that they'll ship between 2 and 3 months after they are solicited in Diamond's PREVIEWS catalog, but that doesn't always happen. You'll have to get used to it, and develop patience. The other way to do it, as some people prefer, is to just wait until these stories are collected in trade paperback form. The first Flash Gordon: Zeitgeist TPB was solicited in last month's Diamond PREVIEWS.

              Can you understand DE's Flash Gordon without knowing the character? Sure. The story is retold from the beginning as it was in the original comic strip in 1934. Which is the exact same story used in the old movie serial (the first one, of three) starring Buster Crabbe from the 1930s. It's also the same story used for the 1980 film starring Sam Jones as Flash and Max Von Sydow as Ming (with soundtrack supplied by Queen). So yes, the story is understandable to a first-timer without any prior knowledge; DE has given their own version a few unique twists, that you are better left to discover for yourself by comparison. BUT, given the easy availability of both the original serial (which was an inspiration for STAR WARS), and the 1980 film version (which probably wouldn't have gotten made if not for STAR WARS), I'd recommend seeing both (either before, or after, reading Dynamite's version). I think seeing the different variations on the basic story from the 1930s, to the 1980s, to now, will increase your appreciation of the material. And, if you really like the story after reading DE's version and seeing the movies, then look into picking up IDW's hardcover reprint collection of Alex Raymond's original comic strip. Oh, and as a side note, there was a cartoon series (also available on DVD) made in the late 1970s, just a couple of years prior to the movie. Remarkably, ALL of the various versions of Flash Gordon (1936 serial, 1970s cartoon, 1980 movie, DE's) are pretty faithful to Alex Raymond's original comic strip, yet all of them have their own unique features and additions to the same basic storyline. DE's adds an Earth-based parallel story involving Ming's alliance with Hitler's Nazi regime that's unique.

              Merciless is another story (only the first 3 issues are out so far), and a completely original one for DE, which tells nothing less than the (never before revealed anywhere) story of how Ming became Emperor of the the planet Mongo. Perhaps best read after reading FG:Z, and in fact, again, I think you'll appreciate this more after seeing the movies. But that's just an opinion; it's not strictly necessary. Chronologically, it takes place years before Flash Gordon arrived on Mongo (so he isn't in it).
              Thanks!! Don't worry, I understand that about some comics. I am still waiting for Secret #3 from Image! As long as the quality is good in a comic, I don't care how long I will wait!

              Comment


              • #8
                weshes195, welcome to Dynamite!

                Of course, it depends a lot on what your personal preferences are in comics, but in answer to your question, I personally I am huge fan of the Dark Shadows book and, as I posted elsewhere on these boards, issue #6 is a great jumping on point. It is starting a new storyline, and you don't really need to have read the prior issues to figure out what is going on.

                And should DE ever get back to publishing Project Superpowers again, you should buy that. In the meantime, "Chapter 1" (one volume) and "Chapter 2" (2 volumes) are available as trade paperbacks. Chapter 1 was my introduction to Dynamite and it is fabulous!!!! I even paid for the hardback version and do not regret it. I want it to last for generations.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tulku View Post
                  weshes195, welcome to Dynamite!

                  Of course, it depends a lot on what your personal preferences are in comics, but in answer to your question, I personally I am huge fan of the Dark Shadows book and, as I posted elsewhere on these boards, issue #6 is a great jumping on point. It is starting a new storyline, and you don't really need to have read the prior issues to figure out what is going on.

                  And should DE ever get back to publishing Project Superpowers again, you should buy that. In the meantime, "Chapter 1" (one volume) and "Chapter 2" (2 volumes) are available as trade paperbacks. Chapter 1 was my introduction to Dynamite and it is fabulous!!!! I even paid for the hardback version and do not regret it. I want it to last for generations.
                  Ok, thanks! I have heard about the Dark Shadow character from my dad and I have always wanted to read about him!! I probably will buy the Superpowers volumes either in December or January because I am backed up right now, but I will buy them!! Thanks!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by weshes195 View Post
                    Hey, I got a question about Flash gordon and that merciless series. I am ordering 1-6 of Zeitgeist; has 7-10 got a date when they are coming out? Also, I added 1-3 of Merciless, but did #4 come out? Also, do you think I will understand them without knowing the character?
                    You will definitely understand Flash Gordon without having any previous contact with the character because basically Zeitgeist is his origin story which will continue on as his ongoing story, so everything is explained out for you as you go along. It's really quite a ride, I hope you enjoy it!
                    Dynamite Entertainment
                    Forum Administrator


                    Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      weshes195 -- FYI, Merciless: The Rise of Ming #4 ships next Wednesday, Sept. 19.
                      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Read Green Hornet, The Spider, The Shadow, Bionic Man, and Flash Gordon.....especially Flash Gordon, its damn good.

                        Any Kirby; Genesis and Project Superpowers is great too.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by positronic View Post
                          weshes195 -- FYI, Merciless: The Rise of Ming #4 ships next Wednesday, Sept. 19.
                          Oh, thanks!! I am getting quite a collection!!

                          @Chadster, I have heard good things about The Spider, so I probably will buy that later on.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Oh! If you want really good beefcake, then then Warlord of Mars and Tarzan books are excellent.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              So, how about an update? Have you tried anything we've recommended, and if so did you enjoy any of them? I seriously hope you try The Shadow and Flash Gordon, both titles are absolutely stellar and deserve as many people reading them as they can get. But Dynamite offers a wide variety of titles to fit many tastes.

                              Let us know!
                              Dynamite Entertainment
                              Forum Administrator


                              Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X