Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Boys #71: The second-to-last Recap I'll ever write.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Boys #71: The second-to-last Recap I'll ever write.

Gather round the campfire me lads, and I'll tell ye a story. We start in the fishing village of York, which men call "New". In it, ye olde Village Idiot has reversed the laws of gravity, and has managed to reverse-impale himself on some improbably downward facing spikes. I guess Garth just wrote "Hugie is impaled on some railing", and Ye Olde Artist didn't bother asking how Hughie would manage such a feat, given that he was falling down, not up. The Olde Village Butcher is also wounded most sore, having lost all feeling below his neck. So if if you put the two of them together, you'd have one more or less complete human being.

Ye Olde Idiot whines that being impaled "really hurts". Butcher calls him "a tit". I don't think that's fair. I like tits. Anyway, Ye Idiot manages to extricate himself, and ties off his wound with his belt. We are informed that Ye Butcher's doomsday device is safely out of reach. Okay, a small side note: there's only ONE hero in all of the universe of The Boys who could manage to fall UP and impale himself. Bonus points for the first person to name him. And no, it's not MalChemical. He could infact fall up, but he wouldn't be such a dumbass as to stick himself on fencing.

At this point, Hughie does the one thing that could make me hate him even more: he starts to cry. Seriously, he needs to grow some balls. Even tiny balls. They chat about their feelings for a while, and decide to form a drum circle and talk about their menstrual cycles. The Olde Butcher informs us that he killed Frenchie and the Female as an act of mercy. If only he'd shown the same mercy to us, and offed Hughie first. After sharing their dreams and aspirations with each other for a while, Ye Butcher informs Ye Idiot that he's "a decent bloke". Because in EnnisVerse, "good" equals "stupid".

Seventeen thousand pages of Recap ensues, wherein Butcher reminds us of all the previous plot arcs. Because that's what we need in the penultimate issue of The Boys. A recap of previous plotlines.

Back with Vought Girl:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	41814_145340672144636_3708_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	49514

Wow, none of us saw THAT coming, now did we? BTW, I've tried to pull my own hair out like that before. It doesn't work. I have, however, done it to others.

Back with Ye Idiot and Ye Butcher... I think I lost track of my Olde English gimmick, so screw it... MUCH DRAMATIC SITTING OCCURS. Lots of sitting. Butcher asks Hughie to kill him. I entertain a vain hope that it's all a ploy to get Hughie close enough so that Butcher can bite his throat out. Alas, it is not to be. Instead, Butcher makes up a clearly bullshit story about killing Hughie's parents. Hughie, being retarded, falls for it and stabs Butcher with the same railing that previously impaled him. Hughie uses Butcher's phone to call home, where his mother conveniently (and inexplicably) immediately starts talking about Butcher, and the nice visit they had "last year".

.....annnnnnnd there it ends. Literally 99% of the book consisted of people sitting on the floor, Flashbacking to stuff we already knew.

"Okay, a small side note: there's only ONE hero in all of the universe of The Boys who could manage to fall UP and impale himself. Bonus points for the first person to name him."

Bobby Badoing

Comment

I love the discussions on this board, and am frustrated that posters here have come up with far more interesting potential plot and character developments than Ennis. That, and the way he is mailing it in ("Tell, don't show" is not good advice for aspiring writers) in the last few issues are really demoralizing. I thought that the end of "100 Bullets" was anti-climactic ("Yeah, it turns out that all this was the inevitable result of an old dude's desire to keep playing his crazy game"). This ("it turns out that Butcher is just a psychopath with a soft touch for goofuses") is worse.

I am holding out hope that there will be one more bit of dramatic tension- that the loose thread of V'ed up private troops HL alluded to will be revealed, forcing Hughie to make a decision about triggering the bombs. Would Annie fly him up high to do so?

So, all the murders of his friends were driven by the need to continue his plan to whipe out "V". This doesn't hold up. Remember killing the Legend? So he couldn't tell Hughie about Vogelbaum? Yet for years, he never worried about CIA hard man Mallory getting that info from the Legend, or corporate tough guy Stilwell extracting it from him. This was just Ennis tying up all his loose characters with "and then Butcher dropped by unexpectedly and killed him."

I keep waiting to see the reason this series didn't end at issue 65.

Comment

One more thing. You could say that Butcher's character wasn't false. In the "Glorious Five Year Plan" arc, he was shown to be a happy killer. After that, Ennis consistently showed him to be charming (so we liked him), and vicious.

Hughie's character is the false one. He killed a captive A-Train begging for mercy, and Butcher. Both were in moments of murderous rage, the kind of rage that gentle souls don't have. Hughie's character is the one that is being manipulated to serve Ennis' desire to conclude this series with as little work as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Beer View Post
          "Okay, a small side note: there's only ONE hero in all of the universe of The Boys who could manage to fall UP and impale himself. Bonus points for the first person to name him."

Bobby Badoing
          Badoing, badoing, badAAAAAAAHHH!! I want to see those guys again. I wonder if there's still a chance for #72.

I also thought that Butcher was trying to trick Hughie into getting close to him so Billy could bite his throat--after all, Hughie was on the cover.

I wonder why was he on the cover if he wasn't going to die. Was it symbolic? His innocence/stupidity dies? (hahaho, yo)

Will a giant toilet full of superheroes (or a normal sized toilet full of tiny superheroes) die?

Comment

Originally posted by saidestroyer View Post
            Badoing, badoing, badAAAAAAAHHH!! I want to see those guys again. I wonder if there's still a chance for #72.

I also thought that Butcher was trying to trick Hughie into getting close to him so Billy could bite his throat--after all, Hughie was on the cover.
            Butcher was on the cover of 66 and he didn't die (at least yet...)

Originally posted by saidestroyer View Post
            I wonder why was he on the cover if he wasn't going to die. Was it symbolic? His innocence/stupidity dies? (hahaho, yo)

Will a giant toilet full of superheroes (or a normal sized toilet full of tiny superheroes) die?
            I'm pretty sure its symbolic. I just wish we could get some idea of what's happened to the V laced supes after 65.

Comment

So, this is it? This is the penultimate issue, the one that explains everything? Butcher picked Hughie because he was looking for somebody to take his brother's role, somebody to restrain him. He seemed content that Hughie did. Let's think this through. By stopping Butcher's plan, Hughie made every murder Butcher committed to that point- Vas, the Legend, MM, the Female, Frenchie, Vogelbaum...unnecessary. Butcher killed almost all of the people he was closest to, for naught, and died with a smile.

So, yeah, a psychopath. I guess Ennis has consistently not shown Butcher as a non-psychopath. I'm disappointed, because I thought the series would be about the struggle we all have with evil impulses, and the difficulty of doing good in a complex world, and it ended up being about a pychopath's struggle to not be put down until he was ready. That stuff about his wife? Meaningless misdirection, really, because I don't think true love cures psychopathy.

If you want to read something that explores evil, virtue, and psychopathy more intelligently, and you have a strong stomach, I'd recommend "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McArthy.

Comment

Originally posted by statsman View Post
                I don't think true love cures psychopathy.
                You cold-hearted cynic, you.

Comment

Originally posted by statsman View Post
                  Cormac McArthy.
                  Well, I suppose I've failed as a funnybook writer - I'm not as good as CORMAC McBLOODY CARTHY. I expect I also pale in comparison to Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Hemingway and fucking Chaucer.

I don't know what pisses me off more, the fact that you're doing this or the way you're going about it. Tell me something, would you? Since when is that you?

Comment

Originally posted by Garth View Post
                    Well, I suppose I've failed as a funnybook writer - I'm not as good as CORMAC McBLOODY CARTHY.
                    Yeah - stop recommending proper writers. Troublemaker.

Comment

Well, I suppose I've failed as a funnybook writer - I'm not as good as CORMAC McBLOODY CARTHY. I expect I also pale in comparison to Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Hemingway and fucking Chaucer.

I don't know what pisses me off more, the fact that you're doing this or the way you're going about it. Tell me something, would you? Since when is that you?
                      Have I ever said how much I love "Garth"? I will miss this board.

Comment

I expect I also pale in comparison to Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Hemingway and fucking Chaucer.
                        You don't pale in comparison to Chaucer. Chaucer was fucking shite.

Comment

Originally posted by ambaxtoxin View Post
                          Chaucer was fucking shite.
                          I'm torn between making the case for an Ennis/Chaucer comparison, and agreeing that Chaucer was indeed fucking shite.

Many years ago at school, an annoying and pompous teacher asked me to read from the Wife's of Bath's tale. In all innocence, I asked "read, or translate?" and he sent me out. What a fucker.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Rogerson View Post
                            I'm torn between making the case for an Ennis/Chaucer comparison, and agreeing that Chaucer was indeed fucking shite.

Many years ago at school, an annoying and pompous teacher asked me to read from the Wife's of Bath's tale. In all innocence, I asked "read, or translate?" and he sent me out. What a fucker.
                            Well, it's legitimately a different language to modern English, so yeah...douchebag teacher.

Also I don't see how anyone can reasonably deny The Canterbury Tales owes it's prominance to it's rarity, antiquity and insight into the era rather than it's superlative literary qualities.

Comment

From the Pardoner's Tale:

“I wish I had your testicles in my hand instead of relics or reliquaries; Let them be cut off, I'll help you carry them; they shall be enshrined in a hogs turd”

Medieval Ennis?

Comment

Working...
                              X