Rat Fink

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rat Fink

If anybody would know this, you guys would. Was there ever a RAT FINK comic book?

Rat Fink was the rat shifting the gears on all those crazy hot rod models we used to buy and glue together in the 60's.Click image for larger version

Name:	ratfinkimage.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	49516

old rat fink superman
    Last edited by old superman; 10-12-2012, 12:25 AM.

Originally posted by old superman View Post
    If anybody would know this, you guys would. Was there ever a RAT FINK comic book?
    A lot more than you'd think, actually. Check out these images.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
      A lot more than you'd think, actually. Check out these images.
      Holy Gearbox!

I had no idea that Ed "Big Daddy" Roth's character was so mass produced in so many different mediums.

Rat Fink is another example of a cartoon or movie just waiting to happen.

I loved buying those crazy models and putting them together as a kid.

I dunno why I'm remembering all this old stuff now, but I'm sure there's more to come.

old superman

Comment

The interesting thing about the Rat Fink comic books is that at first glance, they would appear to be underground comix. Nothing could be further from the truth. Ed "Big Daddy" Roth was actually a pretty conservative guy in most respects. Thus, where most underground comix felt the need to put a warning "For Adults Only" on the cover, Rat Fink Comix actually had a cover advisory alerting parents that the comix were Always "G" Rated !

Ed Roth's concept for Rat Fink was actually a "de-evolved" Mickey Mouse. Taking inspiration from the early "gross-out art" of Basil Wolverton, the whole Rat Fink/Weirdos art movement was more closely connected to the Monster Culture of friendly weirdo TV horror hosts. The Topps Gum Company, which had its finger on the pulse of kid culture, picked up on this, and produced such "gross-out art" products as Wacky Packages and Garbage Pail Kids, as well as some more blatant imitations of the Weirdos. Anything that parents found gross or abhorrent was sure to capture the interest of rebellious kids.

The original iconic image of Rat Fink is this standing, sweaty pose:

Click image for larger version

Name:	poster-6-5x8-25-rat-fink-white.jpg
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	48690

Later variations on R.F. have him colored blue or purple (personally I always thought the blue version looked best).

On the other hand, some kids that grew up on Rat Fink were later inspired to join a second wave of "alternative comix" in the 1980s, following the undergrounds of the '70s. Actually, the 3 comic book-sized issues of Rat Fink were produced in the late 1980s. Prior to that, he'd only appeared in strips printed in custom car buff magazines in the 1960s and 1970s.

But the spirit of Rat Fink lives on, as evidenced by this photo...

Name:	rat-fink-66-batmobile-custom.jpg
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	48689

P.S. -- All manner of Rat Fink merchandise (even a "Rat Fink Coloring Book") is available at www.ratfink.com, the Official Home of Ed "Big Daddy" Roth (may he rest in peace).

But wait, that's not all! Ed "Big Daddy" was a busy guy with his fingers in a lot of pies. Like Walt Disney, he oversaw his own little empire of Kustom Kulture, and employed other artists such as Robert Williams, "Coop", Thom Taylor, Ed "Newt" Newton, Motor Matt, R. K. Sloane, Johnny Ace, Kali Verra, and "The Pizz" to produce art for R.F. and the other Weirdos. Now YOU can learn to draw "Weirdo" art!

Name:	Thom-Taylor-Cars-and-Monsters.jpg
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	48691Click image for larger version

Name:	Workshop.jpg
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	48692
        Last edited by positronic; 10-12-2012, 05:33 AM.
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

[QUOTE=positronic;26237]The interesting thing about the Rat Fink comic books is that at first glance, they would appear to be underground comix. Nothing could be further from the truth. Ed "Big Daddy" Roth was actually a pretty conservative guy in most respects. Thus, where most underground comix felt the need to put a warning "For Adults Only" on the cover, Rat Fink Comix actually had a cover advisory alerting parents that the comix were Always "G" Rated !

Love that picture of Rat Fink in the Batmobile!

I took a Batmobile model and fixed it on a 1/32 slot car racer back in the 60's when slot car tracks were everywhere!

Neighborhood kids were in AWE of it.

I never saw a Green Hornet Black Beauty model kit or I would have done the same to it.

old superman

Comment

Working...
          X