Morally Insensitive Comic Cover?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morally Insensitive Comic Cover?

Dynamite Comics boasts five covers [LINK] for their January release, Bionic Man Vs Bionic Woman #1

One cover depicts an adorable cartoon version of Steve and Jaime as kids at a lemonade stand.

Of the other four covers, all show Steve and Jaime in various forms of opposition, including all-out combat. Two of these are neutral, depicting Steve and Jaime on equal ground. The other two show Steve dominating Jaime. One of these latter two is a bit disturbing:

I've been a comics reader for years. I've seen every kind of combat imagery. My first impression, at first glance, is that Steve and Jaime are locked in combat, free-falling, their bodies twisting and tangled together as Jaime (although in the submissive position) seems to have the upper hand, straddling Steve's arm, wrenching and twisting it, causing it to spark at the shoulder. [LINK]

Then it strikes me: Steve's arm extends between her legs, along her chest. I wince. The arm comes to a fist in Jaime's face. I wince again. It was suddenly an uncomfortable image.

Betsy from The Bionic Blonde expressed her outrage in several tweets to Dynamite Comics on Twitter:

"Sigh. Promoting images like this explains why we had to extend the Violence Against Women Act in 2012. Angry man in upper/dominant position w/arm between her legs & fist in her face. Sorry, nothing comic about rape. BTW, just my opinion on this image. I don't buy comics, but moral sensitivity should be exercised by all genres."

I think this is a valid observation. I think Dynamite should pull the cover or at least redesign it. What do you think?

I think oversensitivity is the bane of modern life. Some people can be offended by anything (and I'm unlikely to take seriously any criticism of a comic from someone who then says "I don't buy comics, but...").

Comment

the following statement in quotations are from the wife of dynamite entertainment fan Brick Butler:

"I think that the "violence against women" you speak of is GREATLY exaggerated and cannot really be used to apply to comic book covers. Comic books almost always show the female heroines as beautiful, intelligent, well endowed/half naked, and confidant women that kick butt! I just googled the cover of which you speak and I personally don't see a problem with it. The cover shows the cyborg lady putting the cyborg man in a UFC style arm-bar hold. SHE IS ABOUT TO RIP HIS ARM OFF! What is the problem here?

And btw....my husband only buys the Red Sonja comics from dynamite entertainment. Red Sonja's origin, so I am told, is that she was BRUTALLY raped and beaten as a child. And Red Sonja uses that memory to make her stronger- not weaker- and also gives the character something to struggle with so that the reader can relate to her(ex: Red Sonja has problems in her life just like I have problems in mine!)

This is just a pointless attack on Dynamite Entertainment by the feminist idiots. Get a life, all you people that think women are held back in today's society! There are more female doctor's, Lawyers, and politicians now than EVER before! I myself have a master's degree in business and love going to work everyday. The only thing still holding women back is the idea that we, as a nation, need feminists to "protect" the rest of us ladies. We do not.
      Thank you for allowing me to respond. Hope you all have a nice day."

Comment

lol! Man I love my wife!

Comment

I'm puzzled by the "rape" comment, in any case. Looking at that cover, Jaime is indeed holding Steve's arm (it looks as though she's gripping it with her thighs, to me, as well as holding his wrist) and about to inflict some damage, and the two of them are clearly in freefall. In Steve's situation, I think rape would be the last thing I'd be considering, and he'd need to be a bloody gymnast in order to accomplish it in any case...

Comment

Originally posted by brickbutler View Post
            The cover shows the cyborg lady putting the cyborg man in a UFC style arm-bar hold. SHE IS ABOUT TO RIP HIS ARM OFF! What is the problem here?
            Kudos to your wife for being able to recognize an arm bar, something that those who are critical over the cover don't seem to know anything about.

Comment

It's ONE of FIVE covers. So don't buy that cover, if it's offensive to you. And if you "don't buy comics", then please shut up.
              DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by IrishX View Post
                Kudos to your wife for being able to recognize an arm bar, something that those who are critical over the cover don't seem to know anything about.
                I make her watch UFC with me. And the Walking Dead! (she dislikes both)

Comment

I think the covers are fine, but I also emphatically disagree with Brick Butler's wife about the idea that feminism is somehow a bad thing, and about the idea that the playing field now is genuinely level, but this could derail the thread altogether and I don't feel a need to prove what I believe to be obvious here.

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                    It's ONE of FIVE covers. So don't buy that cover, if it's offensive to you. And if you "don't buy comics", then please shut up.
                    Personally, I agree with this. Dynamite entertainment should grow a set and let THIS be their official statement responce!

Comment

Sigh. In America, you can walk into the flower shop and buy a gun with no questions asked,
                      but imply anything sexual (and be it purely imaginary) and all hell breaks loose. These are
                      the times where I'm proud I'm a citizen of Germany, the paragon of peace and culture.
                      (Hmmmm, do I really need sarcasm tags here? )

Hauke, actually quite a fan of the old Bionic woman television series

Comment

How does some1 that doesn't read comics know anything about comics? Of all comics D.E because most Mall book stores only carry either Marvel or DC titles. Either some1 viewed this issue from an internet site and got all that, pfftt.. But really.. wow ppl are funny..

Comment

Originally posted by shokoshu View Post
                          Sigh. In America, you can walk into the flower shop and buy a gun with no questions asked,
                          but imply anything sexual (and be it purely imaginary) and all hell breaks loose. These are
                          the times where I'm proud I'm a citizen of Germany, the paragon of peace and culture.

Hauke, actually quite a fan of the old Bionic woman television series
                          ...man. Those are some hardcore flower shops.

-E

Comment

Originally posted by shokoshu View Post
                            Yeah, you know, if aliens came to earth and we had to explain World War II to them, it's going to be really hard to convince them that Germany and Japan lost while England and America won. Maybe the best favor the aliens could do us is to bomb us all back to the stone age, then rebuild our government and society into a "paragon of peace and culture". It's amazing how much productive work a society can accomplish when their economy no longer revolves around fighting wars with other countries.
                            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

In a nut shell, this is what happened in the DARK AGES, which lasted almost 500 years!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X