Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prophecy officially in Red Sonja continuity?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prophecy officially in Red Sonja continuity?

Sigh. Well, this is a tad odd:

RED SONJA #76
    DYNAMIC FORCES
    (W) Brandon Jerwa (A) Jack Jadson (CA) Lucio Parrillo
    THE CRIMSON WELL: Part 1 (of 6)-The She-Devil has been suspiciously absent for nearly a full season. There are many rumors and tall tales surrounding her disappearance, but the truth of the matter is far more outlandish, and terrifying, than any tavern story. Following the PROPHECY event, Red Sonja has placed herself in exile, desperately hoping to protect the world from the demonic influence that threatens to consume her very soul.
    I kind of thought that the Prophecy mini-series was one of those "not-in-continuity" storylines, enjoyable if one wishes, ignorable if one likes, etc. But now it appears it's going to have a major effect on the main* Red Sonja title, which is a little... weird. Anyone know what's going on? Is this a permanent new direction for Sonja?

* Well, one of the main titles, since there is also Queen Sonja

If this is handled as poorly by Dynamite as the reincarnation storyline, I may have to drop the title altogether. where the heck did Eric Trautmann go????????

Comment

Originally posted by brickbutler View Post
      If this is handled as poorly by Dynamite as the reincarnation storyline, I may have to drop the title altogether. where the heck did Eric Trautmann go????????
      Um, still here.

My four-issue contract to write Red Sonja will ultimately span twenty-five issues. And, having just done 20-ish issues of Vampirella, I'm not eager to do more vampire-related stuff for a while. Good time for me to take a break. And Brandon is an excellent writer; I have every confidence that Sonja is in good hands.

-E

Comment

Correction: twenty-five GOOD issues of Red Sonja. Thanks for your time and talent on the comic, Eric. You will be missed. And this new guy may in fact be a decent writer, but it is easy for new creative direction on a Sonja title to revert back to just "lots of skin with no story" and I just don't want that to happen. Can't blame a fan for being worried!

Comment

Originally posted by brickbutler View Post
          Correction: twenty-five GOOD issues of Red Sonja. Thanks for your time and talent on the comic, Eric. You will be missed. And this new guy may in fact be a decent writer, but it is easy for new creative direction on a Sonja title to revert back to just "lots of skin with no story" and I just don't want that to happen. Can't blame a fan for being worried!
          I trusted Brandon to cowrite a Vertigo OGN (loosely) about my brother-in-law getting killed in Iraq.

He's top shelf. On the story end of things, it'll be fine.

Thanks for the kind words about my run on Red Sonja. I'm going to miss her. :/

-E

Comment

Ah!! Thank you for clearing all that up. (Still weird to think of Prophecy as being in official continuity like that...)

Comment

Umm yeah, Eric plz revisit Vampirella again The Phophecy series is goin' good I like it expect I'd have liked a more dramatic battle with each Aztec / Mayan god.

Comment

Gah, Eric!! Get your ass back writing Red Sonja, without you we are stuck with chainmail bikini forever!! (I liked that leather skirt she had).

Good luck with your future projects and thanks for the great issues of Sonja

Comment

What's wrong with the chainmail bikini? It's a classic!

Comment

Over used and silly, I've always been a fan of Sonja's 80's-90's blue/brown garb. to me it just seems a silly costume, which is what it is, its like sticking Conan in fur pants.

Comment

Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
                      What's wrong with the chainmail bikini? It's a classic!
                      alot of us feel it should be used "sparingly". example- Sonja should NEVER wear it in the snow or in the middle of a huge battle, or while she is sneaking around like a ninja, or trying to be in disguise.

But in the desert? Or trying to intimidate a single opponent? Or traveling at the front of a caravan to ward off bandits? or trying to impress a monarch? or to validate just who she is? it's almost perfect attire in those situations!

Comment

Originally posted by themightyflip View Post
                        Over used and silly, I've always been a fan of Sonja's 80's-90's blue/brown garb. to me it just seems a silly costume, which is what it is, its like sticking Conan in fur pants.
                        Oh, keep Conan in the fur loincloth. Though I suppose it needn't be made of fur. He's just hotter that way.

Comment

Originally posted by themightyflip View Post
                          The outfit from the 80s limited series'? I just found that boring. It didn't distinguish Sonja at all, she could have been anyonee. The bikini is instantly recognizable (as is Conan in the furry loincloth). Sometimes practicality isn't the only consideration.

Comment

Sonja needs to be distinguished? Is there another red headed sword and sorcery comic book character out there?

Comment

We are totally off topic, but since the forums have been unactive for awhile.......

I personally enjoy it when Red Sonja (or Conan) change clothing to fit the situation. I don't think that either of them need to ALWAYS be in their iconic "barbarian gear" at all times. (of course I am talking about the interior story pages, not the comic covers)

EXAMPLE: eric trautman had ol' Red don the chainmail shirt and leather-armor skirt for her recent adventures in the "machineries of empire" storyline. Her attire made perfect sense, because she was attempting to NOT draw a bunch of attention to herself, while still showcasing the "I'm a fighter don't F*** with me" image while also retaining her lady charms.

Comment

Working...
                              X