Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBR TV @ NYCC: ENNIS DIRECTS "CROSSED" AND MURDERS "THE BOYS"

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=41970

It feels like just the right time for it to end. The story's worked out exactly as I wanted it to, couldn't be happier in that regard. It's bittersweet because with Butcher, with Billy Butcher, we're talking about probably my favorite character I've ever created. … I'm sorry to see him go. It's not like "Preacher," where everyone came to a violent end but then got a second chance. And it's not like "Hitman," where people also came to violent ends but they lived by the gun, and they died by it. "The Boys…" writing the last few issues felt more like murder. … But in terms of the story, yes, it's time for it to end. To continue it now, I think, would just weaken it, dilute it.

There is a reason it felt like murder. It's because 80% of the characters were dispositioned by the plot device of being murdered by Butcher.

So, now we're left with "Puddinhead" Jennings, the sweet, lovable Scotsman who only kills when enraged (Blarney Cock, A-Train and Butcher).

How do you think it ends? The only characters left that I care about are Hughie, Annie, Stilwell and the Deep. Don't care about Jess, Monkey or Rayner, really. Here's what I expect. Hughie holds onto Butcher's trigger. He gets back together with Annie. Stilwell reveals that he has developed fully operational militarized supes. Hughie talks with Annie, and she agrees to fly him up high to press the trigger. The end.

Comment

Originally posted by statsman View Post
      There is a reason it felt like murder. It's because 80% of the characters were dispositioned by the plot device of being murdered by Butcher.

So, now we're left with "Puddinhead" Jennings, the sweet, lovable Scotsman who only kills when enraged (Blarney Cock, A-Train and Butcher).

How do you think it ends? The only characters left that I care about are Hughie, Annie, Stilwell and the Deep. Don't care about Jess, Monkey or Rayner, really. Here's what I expect. Hughie holds onto Butcher's trigger. He gets back together with Annie. Stilwell reveals that he has developed fully operational militarized supes. Hughie talks with Annie, and she agrees to fly him up high to press the trigger. The end.
      Don't make Hughie angry. You wouldn't like Hughie when he's angry.

So, Statty... you 've come up with a pretty dramatic and plausible final story for the epilogue, and it fits in with the cover. But I'm gonna go out on a limb and disagree with you. I think that ending is too histrionic, to much to carry in one issue. I don't think Hughie is supposed to turn into a mass killer at this stage of the game, and I don't think an 'under-investigation' Vought would be able to hide an army of super-soldiers. I think we're going to see quite a few pages devoted to the undoing of Stillwell, the reconcilliation with Annie and, obviously, a final humilation for Rayner.

When's that preview coming, anyhow?

Comment

So you're saying Annie would decide to let Hughie kill both of them? And that Vought would choose now to unveil military supes when issue 66 said superheroes are very unpopular right now?

Comment

Remember the (issue 64?) conversation between Stilwell and HL? Where Stilwell said that HL was screwing up years of work? The release of the militarized supes (HL referred to "Me, except tactical geniuses" i think) might be done without US approval, as a coup.

Remember, Vought was ready to take over the US illicitly anyway.

I hope Ennis doesn't peter out on Stilwell. This is the guy who discarded the crazy short Russian girl, who wiped out the G-Men, who talked down HL and intimidated him, the Seven and MM. He's one of the most interesting guys in the series, and I hope he gets his due.

Comment

Remember the (issue 64?) conversation between Stilwell and HL? Where Stilwell said that HL was screwing up years of work? The release of the militarized supes (HL referred to "Me, except tactical geniuses" i think) might be done without US approval, as a coup.
            You might yet be right. But there have been many throwaway comments like this along the way, and they never came to anything. I just don't see how you can introduce and dispatch an army of super soldiers in an epilogue issue. It's just structurally wrong.

My interpretation of all this is that Stillwell had disdain for the ill-disciplined, adolescent supes he inherited, and was planning to dispense with their services – or at least scale them back – once Vought had pushed ahead with supes in the military as a politcal concept. For that, they needed a President to push their agenda. Vought couldn't completely change defence policy without their man (or vegetable) in at the top, and that's what they had worked years to achieve, funded by the multi-coloured costume brigade. That, I think, is what Stillwell was referring to, and that's why we saw him concentrating his efforts on the planned assassination of Dakota Bob.

So yes, I think Homelander's comment was indicative of a likely future that hasn't had time to happen yet. We may get a whiff of it in the epilogue, but I can't see Statty's version actually happening. I'll be the first to apologise if I'm wrong though. I think we're going to see something a little more muted... maybe Stillwell will be dismembered by the first of the super-soldiers...

Here's my little conspiracy theory. I gather The Boys has been one of Dynamite's biggest hits. I also understand that Ennis originally had it planned for about 60 issues, wheras it's been 72, plus three miniseries. I wonder if at some point, someone at Dynamite spoke to Ennis and asked him to spin it out to keep their own golden goose laying eggs. How else do you account for Herogasm, Highland Laddie and the Mallory Arc? Or The Innocents, for that matter. I'm a big defender of this book, but even I have to admit the storytelling got a bit flabby after the Stomfront/Payback arc.

Comment

With reference to the original post, I'd just like to add that, as a director, Garth Ennis makes Ed Wood look like Stanley Kubrick.

Comment

We might be missing the obvious. All anyone who wants to revive the series has to do is remember (as Garth has apparently forgotten) that V brings it's users back to life. Sure, they're retarded, but in the case of Frenchy and the Female, would anyone really notice? Hell, if Hughie dies, he might actually come back smarter than before. Butcher wasn't even blown up or anything. He was just stabbed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamakazi View Post
                  We might be missing the obvious. All anyone who wants to revive the series has to do is remember (as Garth has apparently forgotten) that V brings it's users back to life. Sure, they're retarded, but in the case of Frenchy and the Female, would anyone really notice? Hell, if Hughie dies, he might actually come back smarter than before. Butcher wasn't even blown up or anything. He was just stabbed.
                  True, but unfortunately they come back as incontinent, helpless zombies. Can you imagine a book consisting of Butcher at al sitting around soiling themselves and dribbling? Hmmm, couldn't be much worse than Herogasm.

Comment

Doesn't Butcher's weapon explode the head? Leaving nothing to revive?

You know, if Jason Aaron or Rick Remender (i.e., someone who knows how to have fun with crazy ideas) were writing this, the disembodied heads of Maeve and HL would be reattached to gorilla's bodies and re-Ved up for a comeback. To make Gorilla-Homelander even more awesome, he would need a robot jaw.
                    Last edited by statsman; 11-04-2012, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Doesn't Butcher's weapon explode the head? Leaving nothing to revive?

You know, if Jason Aaron or Rick Remender (i.e., someone who knows how to have fun with crazy ideas) were writing this, the disembodied heads of Maeve and HL would be reattached to gorilla's bodies and re-Ved up for a comeback. To make Gorilla-Homelander even more awesome, he would need a robot jaw.
                      For robot gorillas, I reckon Mike Mignola's yer man.

Comment

Confession- one of my earliest memories is a family cross-country drive. We were spending the night in a motel out in some small West Texas/New Mexico town like Van Horn or Deming. My brother and sister and I were supposed to be asleep, but I really wasn't. My folks weren't paying attention to the TV, and some B&W 1950s monster movie was on. All I remember is the disembodied, living heads in jars. I have never been able to shake that image, and have always hoped that someday some artist would do that concept justice, that somebody would show how disembodied, living heads are THE emblem of the American zeitgeist.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Rogerson View Post
                          With reference to the original post, I'd just like to add that, as a director, Garth Ennis makes Ed Wood look like Stanley Kubrick.

Is there a movie ALREADY directed by Ennis?

(Come on, as a director or screenwriter no comic author can suck like Frank Miller...)

Comment

Originally posted by Boris View Post
                            Come on, as a director or screenwriter no comic author can suck like Frank Miller...)
                            I admire your optimism, however....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRCBmdYc_zs

Comment

Holy.
                              Motherlovin'.
                              Crap.

Comment

Working...
                              X