so has vampirella gotten any better?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so has vampirella gotten any better?

i quit vampirella back in the queen of worms arc or whatever the hell that trash was called. has it gotten any better? is vampirella atleast wearing her costume now dressed in something better then a cheap blouse and jeans? do we know what her origin is now?

Vampirella is back to her normal self, but that doesn't mean that Dynamite's early representation of her wasn't good. I, and many others, enjoyed her newer look and her re-entry into comics via Dynamite, I'm enjoying the book now every bit as I was when she was hitting the scene at Dynamite almost 2 years ago!
    Dynamite Entertainment
    Forum Administrator

Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

Comment

I gave it another try recently, hoping the change in writers might be an improvement. Not for me. I don't know what it is, she just has no "personality". Well, at least she has her old costume. Guess I'll stick with the occasional miniseries or special. I liked Vampirella vs. Dracula, and am currently reading Dark Shadows/Vampirella (which could do with some better artwork).
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

The quality is wildly varying, and the origin is a mess...What else is new? The was so already in bad old Harris times, aaaaaand likewise in good old Warren times. Hint to Dynamite: The Pantha series does it right (I still have a few axes to grind, but that is normal).

This is what I would like to see in a Vampirella comic:

- Strong female characters. (Hey, did you just drag in a sphinx in one of the comics?
        Don't waste the potential. I still miss Cryssie Collins/Astaroth).
        - Supernatural, NOT superhero plots.
        - Black humor, grey moral.

&S

Comment

I'm digging Vampirella, especially the awesome art and cool covers that the book boasts. All in all the story has been fine, it's always been fine to me and since Dynamite's Vampirella is my first exposure to the character I'd say I'm very happy with how she's turned out. Same with 99% of Dynamite's characters, I've had no previous exposure to them and I have NO desire to check out what's come before despite people urging me to do so (No interest, sorry). Dynamite has done a great job with all of their Vampirella stuff and I'm a happy reader.

Comment

Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
            Vampirella is back to her normal self, but that doesn't mean that Dynamite's early representation of her wasn't good. I, and many others, enjoyed her newer look and her re-entry into comics via Dynamite, I'm enjoying the book now every bit as I was when she was hitting the scene at Dynamite almost 2 years ago!

........lmao you can't be serious. you work for dynamite of course your going to say something like that. i was honestly asking people with a less biased opinion. no disrespect intended.

Comment

I agree with Shokoshu idea's about Vampirella series. The stories seem well written but the artwork sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by helwen View Post
                I agree with Shokoshu idea's about Vampirella series. The stories seem well written but the artwork sucks.
                Funny, I disagree with you I couldn't care less about mediocre artwork if there is top-notch storytelling. (Guess what: -spoiler, mark to view- they offed the sphinx at the end of Red Room 4. What a waste of potential. Dynamite, I hate you. )

Comment

"so has vampirella gotten any better?"

. . . eh, not so much. . .

Comment

I have enjoyed the Vampirella series, but I can agree that there is some ebb and flow as far as quality, I think once Brandon Jerwa Hits his stride its going to really take off in a good way.

Eric Trautman is an outstanding writer, so its nothing against what He did for the series, He devoted a lot of time and effort in it, 20 issues is no small feat when you are also writing a plethora of other stories. To be honest, I think Trautman is glad to be done with Vampirella.

Brandon Jerwa is a great writer, who perhaps doesn't get as much credit and recognition as her deserves, in my opinion at least. I think right now he is still getting a feel for taking over a story that has been written for nearly 2 years by another writer, who I believe he is friends with.

Furthermore Jerwa is also writing Pantha, and I must say I'm delightfully surprised, taking a benchwarmer character from the Vampirella stories and giving her a book of her own, whats more, From what I've read of those he has done an absolutely outstanding job.

The Vampirella story is focusing on an upcoming "Chaos War", writing both stories will give Jerwa an in depth feel for this world he is conveying to us, and I think both stories will benefit as a result....I Just hope he doesn't start ya know...doing stuff with his band or whatever..."Hey Jerwa! leave that hippie stuff alone and crank out more Vampirella and Pantha...2 issues of each a month!"

In my opinion , the artwork for the Vampirella series has been consistently good, but there is something I would like to see change, and I know i'm going to catch flak for this....I would like the artist to scale her breast DOWN some. Are many women with big breasts attractive? Sure. So are many women with "normal" size or small breasts.

I just think a more realistic portrayal of the femal form would be sexier, I mean she should still be hot, I don't wanna see plain-jane-pirella, but having water flotation devices on her chest is kind of overkill, and somewhat gaudy.

my .2 cents.
                    Last edited by James; 12-17-2012, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                      In my opinion , the artwork for the Vampirella series has been consistently good, but there is something I would like to see change, and I know i'm going to catch flak for this....I would like the artist to scale her breast DOWN some. Are many women with big breasts attractive? Sure. So are many women with "normal" size or small breasts.

I just think a more realistic portrayal of the femal form would be sexier, I mean she should still be hot, I don't wanna see plain-jane-pirella, but having water flotation devices on her chest is kind of overkill, and somewhat gaudy.
                      That's just the thing. The artwork in Vampirella always has, and probably always will be, aimed at the blatantly exploitative. I'll accept that as a given. The problem is, and of course everyone will feel differently about this... this is not GOOD "girl art". It isn't the least bit sexy or encouraging of a salacious interest. And it should be. The COVERS are much better in general at conveying this, but the interior art is, in a word, meh. For an opposite example of what I mean, check out Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris. Exploitation art done right, and then they went the extra mile of providing good story and characterization.
                      Last edited by positronic; 12-17-2012, 01:58 AM.
                      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                        . . . and I know i'm going to catch flak for this....I would like the artist to scale her breast DOWN some. Are many women with big breasts attractive? Sure. So are many women with "normal" size or small breasts.

my .2 cents.
                        Say that again, Brother. In the Warren days -- Vampirella was sexy . . . now she's drawn like a breast-implant-gone-bad nightmare . . .

Comment

Yes, it's better than at the start as she is back in costume and there were some pretty good issues around the return of von Kreist, with both art and story above average (and at the same time!). Her origin is still murky and we've basically got the Harris Vampirella, with Adam, Pendragon, Pantha, etc. half-heartedly thrown into the mix to confuse and frustrate the long-time fan. The recent writing and art in the main series haven't been bad, just a bit of a roller coaster that takes you up the hill but then doesn't really deliver on the ride down. Both seem to set-up interesting moments and then waste them.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but the 4-issue Red Room series, flawed though it was, is probably the most engaging thing since the return of von Kreist. At least I found myself curious about the next issue, which I can't say for any of the other offerings in the last few months. Other than that, The Dark Shadows series was another lost opportunity. The Dracula series may be the worst thing I've ever read.

It would be great if Dynamite would do a retro series set in the Warren universe and time, and see if they can challenge a renowned comics writer & artist to take their stab at a Goodwin/Gonzalez-type story (or series). Most everyone seems to agree that this was the golden era for Vampi, and established the character as a success, and yet the publishers avoid this model at all costs. Seriously, who picks up a losing concept (the Harris Vampi) and then continues it?! That's like remaking the John Carter or Ishtar movies exactly the same way!

But I digress.

Comment

i just peeked at the latest vampirella issue. absolutely HORRIBLE artwork. i almost vomitted just looking at the first page. dynamite really needs to step it up if they want this series to continue.

Comment

Yeah, the art was more like storyboards than a comic. Compare it to the Vampirella Strikes preview in the back. Night & Day difference. The writing was lackluster, too. I'm supposed to care that Adam died? I don't even know who that guy is, anymore. Even Von Kreist is becoming another insipid supervillain. He was actually scarier without all his new powers. I see why Dynamite's president got Tom Sneigoski to come back for Strikes. They need to do something soon. If they aren't going to give us good stories, they need to at least provide great art. Harris did this (most of the time(?)). Of course, in the end the art's not enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X