X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prophecy #5 spoiler

Sonja is a vampire

Highlight to read.

I hate to tell you this, but when you mouse over the title of the thread in the forums, it shows the text unhighlighted as it's the first text in the thread.

That said, I'm entirely unsurprised, given the solicits for (highlight to read) Red Sonja #76:

RED SONJA #76
    DYNAMIC FORCES
    (W) Brandon Jerwa (A) Jack Jadson (CA) Lucio Parrillo
    THE CRIMSON WELL: Part 1 (of 6)-The She-Devil has been suspiciously absent for nearly a full season. There are many rumors and tall tales surrounding her disappearance, but the truth of the matter is far more outlandish, and terrifying, than any tavern story. Following the PROPHECY event, Red Sonja has placed herself in exile, desperately hoping to protect the world from the demonic influence that threatens to consume her very soul.

It almost screams "Sonja becomes a vampire! Oh noes!" Which is why my collection of the series will end with #75. I think this is a terrible mistake. Prophecy would have been fine as an out-of-continuity crossover story, but when it starts affecting the main titles of the characters like this--and particularly with things like Sonja as a vampire because of an adventure with Vampirella, Dracula, Herbert West and a bunch of others who just don't fit too well with her kinds of stories--well, yuck, as far as I'm concerned. It's kind of like a Jonah Hex story in which he not only meets Batman, but in which Jonah's life is forever and noticeably changed by meeting Batman--even if it's a good story on its own, it throws things off in his own stories.

Sigh.

Comment

Perhaps I've lost track of time or something but Shouldn't prophecy 6 be out by now?

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
        I hate to tell you this, but when you mouse over the title of the thread in the forums, it shows the text unhighlighted as it's the first text in the thread.

That said, I'm entirely unsurprised, given the solicits for (highlight to read) Red Sonja #76:

RED SONJA #76
        DYNAMIC FORCES
        (W) Brandon Jerwa (A) Jack Jadson (CA) Lucio Parrillo
        THE CRIMSON WELL: Part 1 (of 6)-The She-Devil has been suspiciously absent for nearly a full season. There are many rumors and tall tales surrounding her disappearance, but the truth of the matter is far more outlandish, and terrifying, than any tavern story. Following the PROPHECY event, Red Sonja has placed herself in exile, desperately hoping to protect the world from the demonic influence that threatens to consume her very soul.

It almost screams "Sonja becomes a vampire! Oh noes!" Which is why my collection of the series will end with #75. I think this is a terrible mistake. Prophecy would have been fine as an out-of-continuity crossover story, but when it starts affecting the main titles of the characters like this--and particularly with things like Sonja as a vampire because of an adventure with Vampirella, Dracula, Herbert West and a bunch of others who just don't fit too well with her kinds of stories--well, yuck, as far as I'm concerned. It's kind of like a Jonah Hex story in which he not only meets Batman, but in which Jonah's life is forever and noticeably changed by meeting Batman--even if it's a good story on its own, it throws things off in his own stories.

Sigh.
        One of my favorite Jonah Hex stories was when he got sent to the post-nuke future. And met post-nuke future Batman.

Just saying.

-E

Comment

Originally posted by eric_trautmann View Post
          One of my favorite Jonah Hex stories was when he got sent to the post-nuke future. And met post-nuke future Batman.

Just saying.

-E
          Absolutely! But (apart from the Hex series itself) that wasn't the sort of thing he dwelled on in his regular stories when he was back in the Old West. I think it would have messed with the whole feel of them.

Comment

Oh dear God.

From Dynamite's June solicits:

RED SONJA #80

Brandon Jerwa (w)
            Sergio Fernandez Davila (a)
            Lucio Parrillo (c)
            FC 40 pages $4.99 Teen+ 6/26

In a final showdown on dark and stormy seas, everyone is at risk when Red Sonja's master plan goes awry! Will the She-Devil die without redemption? Will the dreaded vampire lord Dracula triumph?
            I enjoy a good crossover but I really think this should have been its own thing, an alternate/non-continuity reality, a one-shot cross-dimensional adventure, etc. rather than in Sonja's own book.

I knew (well, I thought it was fairly obvious) that Sonja was going to become a vampire as a result of Prophecy, but I had no idea that Dracula was going to actually show up in her book. Ow. This hurts my brain just a tad.

Again, no problem with the concept, just... not in her own title like that. During their Marvel days, Sonja and Kull met Spider-Man, but in the pages of Marvel Team-Up, not in the Sonja or Kull series.

Comment

yeah.........I for one will not be purchasing these vampire red sonja issues. Kind of a dumb idea from a weak writer, imo. Looking forward to the summer when we can get back to non-undead red sonja stories! At least we have UNCHAINED until then!

Comment

I dunno. I'm looking forward to The Crimson Well storyline precisely because of what happened in Prophecy. I've never bought a Red Sonja book before so if it was Dynamite's intention to bring in new fans, well, they've won me over at least.

Comment

Clearly the series is heading for an ending. But this is merely one parallel universe where Red Sonja exists. Another is depicted in Queen Sonja. Putting the clues together with the news of Gail Simone being recruited to write Sonja, it's probably a safe assumption that a new #1 (and yet another parallel universe where Red Sonja exists) is on the way.
                  DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Working...
                  X