Dark Shadows/Vampirella

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Shadows/Vampirella

I just finished reading this series. Unfortunately, I couldn't really recommend it to fans of either franchise. The basic plot was serviceable enough -- Barnabas and Quentin Collins come to New York and team up with Vampirella and Pantha to fight Countess Bathory and Jack the Ripper -- and might have done well in the hands of a better writer and artist. But the execution of the story seemed so ham-fisted that the whole thing became a pointless exercise. Fabiano managed some nice covers on the series, but that's about the best I can say. I'm actually surprised I stuck this one out for the whole 5 issues. Oh well, better luck next time, DE.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

The team-up was always an odd one and, in my mind, the series essentially played it for laughs. The straight-laced Barnabas mixed with Vampirella couldn't be anything else--especially if you are adding Quentin and Pantha into the mix.

I don't think the series was ever meant to be taken seriously and, if you read it with that in mind, it was enjoyable (albeit pointless). There were several wonderful moments in this series (including, at the end, Barnabas' comment to Vampirella that she looked better clothed).

Having said all that, I found the adding of Dracula at the end to be a little too much over the top.

I agree, though, that the covers were pretty good all the way through.

Comment

Originally posted by Tulku View Post
      The team-up was always an odd one and, in my mind, the series essentially played it for laughs. The straight-laced Barnabas mixed with Vampirella couldn't be anything else--especially if you are adding Quentin and Pantha into the mix.

I don't think the series was ever meant to be taken seriously
      What was odd about it? Both series are nominally horror-drama-adventure, and neither one is (except for the VERY early Vampirella) meant satirically. It's true that each individual franchise relied on somewhat different styles, but that's what crossovers are usually about, melding two things that are not necessarily homogenous.

They could have squeezed all the jokes into a one-shot if that was their point of view of the idea as a concept (and made a much more successful job of it), and not wasted my time with 5 issues of a nominal "horror" plot that I couldn't care about since it was clear the writer wasn't taking it seriously either. Why bother with the gore? As it was, it succeeded on neither level.

Did I mention the sloppy, amateurish artwork?
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
        What was odd about it? Both series are nominally horror-drama-adventure, and neither one is (except for the VERY early Vampirella) meant satirically. It's true that each individual franchise relied on somewhat different styles, but that's what crossovers are usually about, melding two things that are not necessarily homogenous.
        It is the different styles that made the blend so odd. In fact, the whole excuse to get Barnabas involved had to be made up for this series--in DS, Barnabas was always very protective of the Collins family and the Collins name, but he has never before seemed to care much about his past victims much less about their descendants. Vampirella may very well have an objective to hunt down other vampires and eliminate them, but Barnabas couldn't care less as long as they don't bother him or his family.

Actually, just having Barnabas making jokes was a bit of a change for the character. He isn't exactly known for a sense of humor.

I agree with your points about the plot. There wasn't much there. Still, I don't consider it to have been a waste of my money. Not as much a waste as, oh, for example, recent issues of Green Hornet!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tulku View Post
          It is the different styles that made the blend so odd. In fact, the whole excuse to get Barnabas involved had to be made up for this series--in DS, Barnabas was always very protective of the Collins family and the Collins name, but he has never before seemed to care much about his past victims much less about their descendants. Vampirella may very well have an objective to hunt down other vampires and eliminate them, but Barnabas couldn't care less as long as they don't bother him or his family.
          Eh. A writer worth his salt finds a way. Is it really any different than teaming up Superman and Batman? I mean, sure, it's been done thousands of times now, but think about Batman's world in his own comic, and Superman's in his -- is there any reason in the world for these two characters to team up? Probably not. Yet good writers have still found a way to make it work.

Compared to those two, Dark Shadows and Vampirella should have been a snap.

Comment

Perhaps one of the advantages of being relatively young compared to most of the members here is that I don't have a lot of hang-ups regarding the origins of DE's stories, My hangups are with the x-men stories an such.

As a result i've been able to enjoy the VAST majority of Dynamite stories that i've read, and I enjoyed this one.

I never followed dark shadows or knew who Barnabas was, I read the Vampirella series though, so that got me to buy this. I think the story was a good time, but wasn't expecting Barnabas be a "certain" way.

The first issue said he wanted to protect his victims descendants and I said "ok, sounds cool". Vampirella did and said things I would expect her to and Barnaba's added a certain dignity to the experience, even if it was for humor purposes.

Quentin and Pantha were completely awesome, especially Quentin, when he wolf-hulked out against the younglings he pretty much became a gritty reboot of the concept of "badass".

Of course, different strokes for different folks though.

And yeah, the comment at the end where Barnaba's tells Vampirella that she was even more lovely full clothed and little peck on the cheek, well that was just a heart-warming scene, I don't care who you are.

Comment

I just finished the Dark Shadows / Vampirella cross over – and while I agree to a small degree with some of the criticism leveled here, overall I have to say this story is the most successful outing for Vampirella and Dynamite to-date. Here’s what I liked about the mini-series:

1) Vampirella has an actual personality – this is the first time in any of the Dynamite outings that she sounds conversational – appears to have a fun side, banters a bit – and sounds like a real person. Barnabas sounds a bit stilted – but that worked in the story. Pantha was a bit of a one-note – but I’d actually look forward to another story that focused more on Pantha and Quentin Collins . . .

2) Vampirella looks pretty and sexy – yeah, the art was a bit uneven – but overall Vampirella was closest to the old warren look than in most of the other outings to-date. Even in the action she remains pretty – and not like some out-of work female wrester or some weirdly disproportioned Boob slut.

3) The story had a decent plot, followed a decent arc and a satisfying conclusion – leaving enough open for a sequel or two. Yeah, inclusion of Dracula was a bit cheesy – but I can live with that.

I’d actually like to see another team up with Vampirella and Barnabas – Next time out, let’s see Vamprella and Barnabas thrust backwards in time – in old Collingsport – trying to solve a mystery in the past, while disguising their true natures.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
                ...but I’d actually look forward to another story that focused more on Pantha and Quentin Collins . . .
                I second that, I actually liked Pantha, I like the ongoing by Jerwa, I hate seeing Pantha constantly getting screwed over in fights though, I've seen it happen in Prophecy, Darkshadows/Vampirella..and oh yeah...Pantha. Quentin was much cooler and vicious, and i'm fine with that, but man, let her fully kill something! Somewhere!

Quentin not only had the super wolf thing going on but in his human form he had the playboy thing going on...like if hugh jackmen had blondish hair..and was a blue blood...and was a werewolf. Were people can breed right? Man, what kind of screwed up kids would they have?

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                  Quentin not only had the super wolf thing going on but in his human form he had the playboy thing going on...like if hugh jackmen had blondish hair..and was a blue blood...and was a werewolf. Were people can breed right? Man, what kind of screwed up kids would they have?
                  I thought werewolfism (I can't spell lycanthropy) was a supernatural curse, not a genetic one. The idea of male and female were-creatures breeding little litters of were-babies is kinda sick.

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                    I thought werewolfism (I can't spell lycanthropy) was a supernatural curse, not a genetic one. The idea of male and female were-creatures breeding little litters of were-babies is kinda sick.
                    do you mean "sick" good. or "sick" bad?

While lycanthropy was originally the stuff of curses, there are plenty of fictional references to the “curse” being passed on to victims of a bite and/or through offspring. Leading to the conclusion that there may in fact, be a viral component to it, and potentially a genetic component. Suffice it to say that Pantha and Quentin Collins would produce one heck of a little werebaby . . . Part panther, part wolf, total sex fiend.

Comment

Working...
                    X