Frank Cho

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank Cho

what are the chances of DE getting Frank Cho back for some Red Sonja again?

Hmm, should I draw Wolverine or Red Sonja? These are the kinds of dilemmas you have to face when you're Frank Cho. It's kind of hard to hang your hopes on Frank Cho loving a particular character more than he loves money. But who knows, sometimes you can get a Garth Ennis to work for less money for whatever reason, so it's not impossible. Personally, I'd love to see more of Frank Cho's Jungle Girl (even if it's just the covers). But people have families to feed and all that, so I understand that I can't always get what I want.
    Last edited by positronic; 12-30-2012, 06:53 AM.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

I agree Frank Cho will do whatever brings him the most money, and I do not hold that against him. I just enjoyed his work on Sonja Queen of the frozen waste, and would like to see it again if it were possible. I also think Rom Lim (Who did great work on the silver surfer in the 90's) would be a nice fit for some DE comics if they would ask him.

Comment

Originally posted by comichero View Post
        I agree Frank Cho will do whatever brings him the most money, and I do not hold that against him. I just enjoyed his work on Sonja Queen of the frozen waste, and would like to see it again if it were possible. I also think Rom Lim (Who did great work on the silver surfer in the 90's) would be a nice fit for some DE comics if they would ask him.
        It's totally the artist's choice if they are in a position to pick and choose their assignments. All other things being equal though, they're probably going to take whatever work pays the best.

But that doesn't mean there can't be exceptions sometimes. Alex Ross sticks around Dynamite, even though Marvel and DC would probably love to pay him crazy money to work on this character or that. But that's because Alex gets to have more freedom working at DE, while he doesn't agree philosophically with what Marvel and DC are doing with most of their characters.

I would say, pending any actual announcements, you can discover the likelihood of a particular artist working for DE by researching what they're working on now and for whom, along with what they've worked on in the past and for whom. You can assume that they'll be paid more at Marvel or DC. But also look into things like interviews with the artist (or writer) to see whether they mention certain favorite characters that they enjoy working on. You have to try to suss out whether, for a hypothetical example, Wolverine or Red Sonja is a character which Frank Cho attaches any personal significance to. If he happened to mention in an interview that Red Sonja was one of his favorite characters growing up, you know he can be lured into working on her, possibly passing up work from Marvel to do so. By the same token, if you know that he has an exclusive contract with Marvel, or a 6-issue commitment to a new title like The Savage Wolverine, he's probably going to be tied up for a while.

In a recent interview, Nick B. talks about how he has been on a recruiting drive for new writers, and got Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning to work on Battlestar Galactica 'cause they love it (not because they've burned any bridges at Marvel or DC, but if they had, that would have been a good piece of info to factor in, if you see where I'm going with this).

I had NO idea that Mark Waid (who could certainly get all the work he needs from Marvel right now -- not sure how he feels about DC), was a HUGE Green Hornet fan. Nick B. had talked to Waid off and on over the years about working on something for DE, but Waid's schedule never lined up. When it finally did, Nick offered Mark his pick of characters, and Waid chose Green Hornet, because he said he'd always wanted to write that character.
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Oh yeah, here's another one I just thought of. Some of these artists have their own websites, blogs, twitters, facebook pages, what have you. And believe it or not, sometimes you can even email or post messages to them at the site, and depending on how busy they are or how chatty they are, they sometimes reply directly.

So there's every possibility that there may be an official homepage or blog or Tumblr for Frank Cho or Ron Lim, and they might even respond to questions. It's worth a shot to search for something like that, anyway. I have stumbled across some sites on occasion when not even specifically looking for them. Some of these things are purely self-promotional, but some of these guys really do want to have some social interaction with their fans.

And failing them doing actual work for DE, there's always the possibility of commissioning an original piece for yourself. Sure, we'd love to have a 12-issue Frank Cho Red Sonja series in trade paperback, but if that can't happen, maybe a nice original art page of Red Sonja would help take away some of the disappointment.

Comment

Working...
          X