No announcement yet.

Seriously Dynamite....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Usually you see a title just shed readers, but I think this is one that can grow. Case in point, I had no interest in the Spider when it came out, thought it was just a Shadow knockoff so I ignored, but then I got a glimpse/preview in another book...Wow. Jumped on board. I think this is just a character that needs a chance to find it's readership, because I beleive it is there in sufficient numbers if given the chance.

Comment

If Twitter disappeared in a great implosion tomorrow, it would not affect Dynamite's bottom line one iota. You can say all the things you want on the internet, nice or nasty... but really, some money needs to change hands for the books to continue being published. If the money is coming in, the book will be published, regardless of whether or not there is a single person tweeting about it.

There seems to be some sort of mental disconnect here, with people thinking that good thoughts and well-wishes (or moral outrage) somehow affects the real world, without there being any other action than some typing going on.
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
        If Twitter disappeared in a great implosion tomorrow, it would not affect Dynamite's bottom line one iota. You can say all the things you want on the internet, nice or nasty... but really, some money needs to change hands for the books to continue being published. If the money is coming in, the book will be published, regardless of whether or not there is a single person tweeting about it.

There seems to be some sort of mental disconnect here, with people thinking that good thoughts and well-wishes (or moral outrage) somehow affects the real world, without there being any other action than some typing going on.
        Sad but true. I applaud Dynamite for even trying stuff like THE SPIDER or FLASH GORDON in the current economy in a medium that has shrunk to rather pathetic levels of readership. I'd rather have 10 good issues of a comic like THE SPIDER than none at all. And I'd rather have 10 good issues of THE SPIDER than 100 issues of crappy-to-mediocre, cookie-cutter superhero fare from the Big 2.

Comment

T-bolt in the movies

I always felt that T-bolt would be a good choice for the big screen. His powers should be easy for a good director to make a good movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris-KL99 View Post
            Sad but true. I applaud Dynamite for even trying stuff like THE SPIDER or FLASH GORDON in the current economy in a medium that has shrunk to rather pathetic levels of readership. I'd rather have 10 good issues of a comic like THE SPIDER than none at all. And I'd rather have 10 good issues of THE SPIDER than 100 issues of crappy-to-mediocre, cookie-cutter superhero fare from the Big 2.
            You want to know what's the really sad thing? Overall comic book sales are actually UP in the last year, year-and-a-half. Marvel and DC (and Image, to a lesser extent) seem to be reaping the lion's share of that market windfall however, while many good independent titles and publishers are still struggling. Not coincidentally, my consumption of Marvel & DC product (of the non-reprint variety) during this same period has shrunk to its lowest point in 45 years of buying comics. If it weren't for Dynamite and IDW, I'd barely be purchasing any "first-run" product at all. I'll continue to support them as long as they are putting out the kind of books I like, but it would be pretty easy to get carried away by the smorgasbord of classic reprint material that's available today. Considering the relatively smaller number of titles they publish compared to Marvel or DC, Dynamite is doing all right by me -- I must be purchasing something like 25% to 35% percent of their total product.
            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
              You want to know what's the really sad thing? Overall comic book sales are actually UP in the last year, year-and-a-half. Marvel and DC (and Image, to a lesser extent) seem to be reaping the lion's share of that market windfall however, while many good independent titles and publishers are still struggling. Not coincidentally, my consumption of Marvel & DC product (of the non-reprint variety) during this same period has shrunk to its lowest point in 45 years of buying comics. If it weren't for Dynamite and IDW, I'd barely be purchasing any "first-run" product at all. I'll continue to support them as long as they are putting out the kind of books I like, but it would be pretty easy to get carried away by the smorgasbord of classic reprint material that's available today. Considering the relatively smaller number of titles they publish compared to Marvel or DC, Dynamite is doing all right by me -- I must be purchasing something like 25% to 35% percent of their total product.
              Same exact scenario here. Dynamite, Image, Dark Horse, Boom!, Oni and IDW are keeping my new, non-reprint purchasing alive. I can't stand 99.9% of what Marvel and DC publish nowadays. As you can see from my DE Pull List, I'm getting more from Dynamite than any other company now.
              I do what little I can to encourage others to look for books beyond the Big 2, but it's like dealing with a bunch of zombies. Worst of all, they complain constantly about what the Big 2 are doing to their favorite characters, and yet they keep going back to the same trough, gobbling it up. I just don't get it.

Comment

Actually, I think Marvel's doing some absolutely excellent stuff, and has recovered pretty much completely from the horrible anti-heroic Civil War period. From what I have read, I would recommend anything by Aaron, Asmus, Bunn, (Alan!) Davis, DeConnick, Pak, Parker, Remender, Rucka (about to finish up his work with Marvel and focus on creator-owned for a while), Slott (I haven't been following Spider-Man but Superior Spider-Man has been excellent), Waid, and Wood. The ones I can't afford right now from these folks are on my "pick up later" list.

DC, on the other hand... oy. I'm currently down to just a few titles--two of them are focused on parallel worlds (Earth 2 and Worlds' Finest), two on different times (All-Star Western and Legion--I'd also include Action (till Morrison leaves) and Legion Lost (which is ending) which are about to conclude) and three are basically not really connected to, or at least can be read as not connected to, the new continuity at all (Morrison's Batman Inc., which he's said can be basically read with the rest of his Batman material without worrying about continuity shifts; Legends of the Dark Knight, which is wholly non-continuity and OMG it was so nice to see the story with Batman on the Watchtower fighting Amazo with references to the classic League; and Joe Kubert Presents, which is a miniseries). Only one, Gail Simone's Batgirl, which I'm picking up with issue #19, is really front-and-center in the new continuity. I'll get Morrison's Multiversity and Wonder Woman (neither in New 52 continuity), and I am eager for the just-announced Adventures of Superman (non-continuity, red briefs are back YES PLEASE AND THANK YOU) apart from Orson Scott Card doing the first couple of stories (boo hiss), but the rest of the creators on the book sound fantastic. (My DC "pick up later" list is much, much smaller, not least of which because they keep ending titles, putting new creative teams on titles (sometimes to just end them in a couple of issues), etc., so I wind up wanting to get 3 issues of Superman because Dan Jurgens was on it, some issues of Firestorm because Gail Simone was on it, and so on.) But even in the best-case scenario of those few books I'm getting from, or plan to eventually get from DC, it's still "some good books set in what's kind of a dystopic, anti-heroic Elseworlds which are good in spite of it." And in most cases I'd be happier if they had no ties to the current DCU at all.

For what it's worth...

Comment

I basically get to read any of the Marvel and DC titles I want to without having to buy them. That said, the ones I am actually collecting --

DC: Batman Beyond Unlimited, Batman Arkham Unhinged, Joe Kubert Presents, Green Lantern Animated, Young Justice. (hmm, all non-New52s...) Might be dropping some of these, as well, if they don't just end.
                  Marvel: Fury MAX (hmm, also a non-universe title...) I doubt if this title will continue past the end of the year, but I'm still enjoying it.

Books I am still reading (and may or may not buy as trade paperbacks later):

DC: All Star Western, Batman Incorporated, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Green Lantern New Guardians, JL Dark, Legion of Super-Heroes. For the most part, all books with more tenuous connections to the New52 universe-at-large. Having said that, I am becoming increasingly disenchanted with the Green Lantern books, and will probably drop them after the conclusion of "Wrath of the First Lantern" unless the direction of the titles drastically changes. At first, these titles seemed to flow pretty seamlessly from the pre-52 DCU, but now... Ditto for LSH, not really looking forward to Giffen drawing and co-plotting the series. Will probably hang around for a few issues to see where it goes, but not feeling the love. Batman Incorporated also seemed to flow at first from the pre-New52 incarnation of that title, but now the new changes are beginning to creep in -- but it's ending soon anyway, so I'll read to the conclusion. I suspect pretty soon I'll be left with just All Star Western and JL Dark. Also reading the whole Before Watchmen thing, most of which are pretty good, and a few of which (Minutemen, Dr. Manhattan) are great. Will definitely pick up the trade collections of those. I'm open to Morrison's Multiversity and Wonder Woman, too.

Marvel: Daredevil, New Avengers, Thunderbolts, FF, Iron Man, All-New X-Men, Superior Spider-Man. The Spider-Man thing is interesting as a story arc, but how long can it last before it gets tiresome? Also, hate the art. On this one I'm more like a rubbernecker gawking at a tragic pile-up on the highway, and probably destined to drop it within 6 issues or so. Daredevil's a lock for picking up the trade collections as long as Waid continues with what he's doing. The other books are great so far, but I fear that with the frequency that Marvel is shipping issues, inevitably it'll be a bait-and-switch situation. On New Avengers, Thunderbolts, and FF, most of the love is predicated on the artists involved, and that probably can't last. And I know All-New X-Men is going to end badly -- because pretty much all Bendis storylines end badly. But they are usually very engaging up to a point. Not sure how far off that point is. Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova are still big question marks at this point, although it's hard to see myself being interested in Nova when McGuiness is no longer drawing it.

And that's about it for DC and Marvel.
                  Last edited by positronic; 02-08-2013, 04:18 AM.

Comment

I have heard that Marvel is much improved as of late. I'm just not ready to jump back into another giant shared universe where the events and crossovers never stop. I'm afraid that ship has sailed for me. I still get most of the Marvel Essentials though.

As for DC, I get Batman Beyond Unlimited, Joe Kubert Presents, and Young Justice. Oh, and the Masters of the Universe books (don't ask why... ). Nothing that's part of the Nu52. I'll probably pick up the 2 issues of LOSH that Giffen is drawing, just for the art. He's a longtime favorite artist of mine. And, of course I get most of the Showcase Presents.

Other than that, I'm having the most fun reading comics in many years thanks to all of the non-Big 2 titles I'm reading. Especially Dynamite stuff.

Comment

Spoiler Alert!

I am pulling something like 13 Dynamite books in April!

Marvel has all but killed off any interest for me. Hawkeye is a great book, wouldn't miss it. Have been enjoying Daredevil end of days and Winter Soldier. Thats about it. Gave Morbius a shot...but the cover for issue 4 is so stupid, I don't think I will order it.

On to DC. I have had a real love/hate thing with the nu52...leaning more towards hate these days. I am about to cut that down to just Dial H and All Star Western. I don't know why anyone is supposed to care for this new universe. Plus some of the books literally go nowhere, Supergirl 14 she literally takes a nap, has a psuedo dream conversation on the sun and comes back. Thats it. Wonder Woman the same month shows a mother/daughter's flesh torn away by sand and spirits scattered to the winds by a goddess...what the hell am I reading this crap for? That bit still bugs me.

Lastly, I was loving Batgirl. Then we get another crossover, an issue retelling Killing Joke (whats in or out DC???) and the Joker has killed a bunch of people at a skating rink while looking like Leatherface...Seriously, what society could continue to send this clown back to Arkham (Not working) instead of putting this mass murderer down. Their attempt at making things seem shocking/meaningful/gritty/real, has made the stories/characters less so.

Give me Dynamite, IDW, Image, Dark Horse, Boom, Zenescope, Big Dog, etc...

Comment

Working...
                      X