Pantha #6 ...and last.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pantha #6 ...and last.

So it appears that's it for Pantha, then. While I liked the first story arc in issues #1-4, if #5 and 6 were an indication of where the book would have gone had it continued, I can't say I'll miss it, as I was teetering on the fence of dropping it anyway. Oh well.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

I kept an eye on the previews, never picked it up.

But, I will say, I just wonder what exactly these books are supposed to be. They have the most sexualized covers around, a buxom sexy woman in a tiny bikini, but it doesn't reflect the tone of the interiors at all. It's just a very straightforward melodramatic comic book adventure that looks like it could've been published in 1991, with no sexuality to be found, based on the previews. It's like they greenlight and market these with sexuality in mind, but other than a character happening to wear a bikini nothing sexy really happens. Even the art doesn't look all that cheesecakey.

And why not a little humor to it, or even some camp, blatantly acknowledging the sexiness of the character and her skimpy attire etc? You know we like Joss Whedon, maybe take a page out of Buffy The Vampire Slayer's writing? At least take us to 1997 is what I'm saying. I could swear this comic hit us from 1991 via a time machine. You realize the target demographic for Pantha aren't 12 year olds who found it on a spinner rack, right Dynamite?

Long story short, maybe deliver what you're marketing and you'll get better sales. Not saying sex appeal is all there is to it, naturally you need likable characters we care about and an entertaining feel to the story, but living up to the promise of the covers would be a start for this subgenre from Dynamite.
    Last edited by Psionic_Lemmy; 02-02-2013, 04:18 AM.

Comment

I like the Pantha character in Vampirella stories, but I'm afraid I just couldn't get into this book. It started off well enough, but by the end of the first story arc I was distinctly underwhelmed and dropped it after #4. I think it may actually be the only DE book I've ever given up on!

Comment

I read 5, think I probably bought 6, but the biggest problem I had with this book, is that every cover, she just looks like a stripper. I don't mind a little T & A, but that was a bit much even for me, and I am always hemming and hawing about Dejah Thoris and trying to pick the LEAST provocative cover.

Comment

Originally posted by tbolt View Post
          I read 5, think I probably bought 6, but the biggest problem I had with this book, is that every cover, she just looks like a stripper. I don't mind a little T & A, but that was a bit much even for me, and I am always hemming and hawing about Dejah Thoris and trying to pick the LEAST provocative cover.
          I don't have a problem with the Dejah Thoris covers; partial nudity somehow seems more practical and natural on what is essentially a barbarian fantasy book. But I can see how it might look a little sleazy on a book like Pantha.

Comment

I'm the opposite, I dig the covers and would like the interiors to be more like them. And when hasn't Pantha dressed like a stripper? Plus, is there anything wrong with that? (I don't believe so)

Comment

I read 5, think I probably bought 6, but the biggest problem I had with this book, is that every cover, she just looks like a stripper.
              I believe they established (in Dark Shadows/Vampirella) that Pantha actually IS a stripper. So her costume is actually her work clothes. What's Vampirella's excuse?
              DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by Psionic_Lemmy View Post
                I'm the opposite, I dig the covers and would like the interiors to be more like them. And when hasn't Pantha dressed like a stripper? Plus, is there anything wrong with that? (I don't believe so)
                Well, when I am going through my monthly shipment, and I pull out the comic about a stripper, my wife tends to frown. I mean, she looks like she is on stage, not doing anything particularly heroic.

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                  I believe they established (in Dark Shadows/Vampirella) that Pantha actually IS a stripper. So her costume is actually her work clothes. What's Vampirella's excuse?
                  Pantha *was* a stripper (in Warren times). But just because mauling innocent passants doesn't pay the rent Vampirella...well, she stars as lovely assistant in Pendragons show, right? To distract from that bumbling bum...with her own bum

Comment

Originally posted by shokoshu View Post
                    Pantha *was* a stripper (in Warren times). But just because mauling innocent passants doesn't pay the rent Vampirella...well, she stars as lovely assistant in Pendragons show, right? To distract from that bumbling bum...with her own bum
                    All quite correct when it comes to the Warren versions... but here I'm talking specifically about what's been established in the DE version of these characters. I don't believe DE is necessarily beholden to maintain continuity with any previous versions. Don't get me wrong, it would be nice if they did... but I believe that ship already sailed during the Harris era. Several times, in fact. So I'm NOT assuming Vampi was ever a stage assistant to the great Pendragon unless DE confirms it in a story.

Comment

I think most of us who read the Pantha title agree that issues 1-4 were good, issue 5 very meh, issue 6..i don't know.

I can accept that, Maybe Dynamite could consider just doing a Pantha mini series, something 4 issues maybe 5, just a thought. Also as Mini Pantha wouldn't have to bound to the ongoing Vampirella title.

Even better idea, don't even bring up Vampi.

Comment

This series was really bad. Pantha was always a supporting character, so it's not surprising. What IS surprising is, when you consider how many tens of thousands of struggling writers and fanboys who want to write comics (not me), DE still manages to find the worst hacks in the business (think "The Scarlet Legion" or "Vampirella vs. Dracula") . Maybe DE should hold a writing contest. That might bring in fans and a few writers with at least one good story in them.

Comment

Originally posted by rlvaugh View Post
                          This series was really bad. Pantha was always a supporting character, so it's not surprising. What IS surprising is, when you consider how many tens of thousands of struggling writers and fanboys who want to write comics (not me), DE still manages to find the worst hacks in the business (think "The Scarlet Legion" or "Vampirella vs. Dracula") . Maybe DE should hold a writing contest. That might bring in fans and a few writers with at least one good story in them.
                          In a nutshell, you've managed to showcase precisely why most creators abhor internet message boards.

Comment

Originally posted by rlvaugh View Post
                            The first story arc was really good I thought. In fact, I was really into it. You bring up a good point, Pantha is a supporting character, in that sense I do believe making an ongoing series of her would be difficult. I think an occassional Pantha mini would be awesome though.

Which ever creative team that did such a mini could do whatever they want, I mean the biggest problem facing pantha is that she is so tied up with Vampirella. In a mini the team could completely branch out take her anywhere, do anything. Really focus on an adventure of her own, not one where Vampirella is always in the background. I mean I'm a fan of Vampi but anytime you bring her into a Pantha story, the story is automatically about about Vampi.

Another problem facing Pantha is rampant fanboy-ism, I think dynamite has some awesome creative talent, it kind of sucks for them when tackling things like this, because if they try to do something different then the fanboys will be upset that its not original cannon, and if they do the opposite fanboys will complain its the same thing they read from [other company] .

Comment

Working...
                            X