Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dynamite to make major announcement at Emerald City Comic Con this weekend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
    Big whoop, indeed. This is a huge gain for Dynamite to get someone of her level to write a character that has been on the decline. I'm sure she'll do a great job and yank in some new readers to Dynamite as a whole, I'm happy she's here and I wish her the best.

    Just because you may not be a fan of hers does not mean that others aren't and won't be.
    Red Sonja has been on the decline? Admittedly I haven't seen any sales figures, but I was under the impression that she was one of DE's best-selling and most popular characters. Doesn't she still carry two ongoing series, plus occasional minis and one-shots? And if she's in decline, then when did she peak? Was there a "golden age" for DE's Red Sonja?

    And hey, I admitted up front in my first post that it was just as likely that the "big news" might leave me underwhelmed. Not sure what I was expecting. Probably someone whose name has been associated with one of DC or Marvel's iconic characters or teams. Secret Six, Birds of Prey, Batgirl and Firestorm are sort of B-list from my perspective. I mean sure, DC has published a lot worse, but I don't remember them burning up the sales charts either. Batgirl does OK primarily because of the tie-in to the whole Bat-family of titles.

    But sure, I hope it results in a big infusion of cash in Dynamite's coffers. Couldn't hurt the company, I guess.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

    Comment


    • #17
      Red Sonja has fallen to about 6k in orders, the book was once a 9-12k a month book and has seen a dip since the influx of Sonja books that started coming out all at once. More proof that DE should stay away from making 3-4 titles based off of one character.

      Gail's work on Birds of Prey was not only financially fruitful but it was also very well received, and her current work on Bat girl has made it one of DC's most revered books and a big seller. Her clout in the world of comics is bigger than you may think.
      Dynamite Entertainment
      Forum Administrator


      Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by comixfan1980 View Post
        Red Sonja has fallen to about 6k in orders, the book was once a 9-12k a month book and has seen a dip since the influx of Sonja books that started coming out all at once. More proof that DE should stay away from making 3-4 titles based off of one character.
        I was hoping that lesson had been learned with the apparent demise of Queen Sonja. But then we got Red Sonja: Atlantis Rises, another story which could as easily have been told in the main book...
        Gail's work on Birds of Prey was not only financially fruitful but it was also very well received, and her current work on Bat girl has made it one of DC's most revered books and a big seller. Her clout in the world of comics is bigger than you may think.
        I agree. Though that's "Batgirl", in fact. "Bat Girl" was another character, who preceded the Barbara Gordon version.

        Comment


        • #19
          I maintain that given that the title was part of the New 52 relaunch, was a new #1, and put Barbara Gordon back in the Batgirl costume, that you could have picked just about any writer currently working for DC (Jeff Lemire, Peter Tomasi, Dan Jurgens, fill in your own) and it would have sold just about as well, particularly once it starting tying into "Night of the Owls", "Deaths in the Family", etc. No great trick to sell a few copies of that book.

          I quit reading after a very few issues when it became blatantly obvious that Simone was planning on stringing readers along for months on end, without answering the burning question of how Barbara Gordon went from being in a wheelchair to jumping around like an acrobat again. That kind of obvious commercial manipulation sort of disgusts me.
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by positronic View Post
            I quit reading after a very few issues when it became blatantly obvious that Simone was planning on stringing readers along for months on end, without answering the burning question of how Barbara Gordon went from being in a wheelchair to jumping around like an acrobat again. That kind of obvious commercial manipulation sort of disgusts me.
            I doubt it had much to do with Simone. It's becoming more and more apparent that the reboot was ill thought out and writers going into it had very little idea what was or wasn't still supposed to be regarded as in continuity. I suspect Simone held off on giving an explanation because she hadn't a clue what she was or wasn't allowed to reference at the time as far as Barbara's history went. She was just told "write Batgirl. She's Barbara Gordon and she can walk now".

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
              I doubt it had much to do with Simone. It's becoming more and more apparent that the reboot was ill thought out and writers going into it had very little idea what was or wasn't still supposed to be regarded as in continuity. I suspect Simone held off on giving an explanation because she hadn't a clue what she was or wasn't allowed to reference at the time as far as Barbara's history went. She was just told "write Batgirl. She's Barbara Gordon and she can walk now".
              Sounds plausible, except that it wasn't really a question of "Was she, or was she not, ever in a wheelchair?". That much was acknowledged in the first issue. The HOW of it would seem to me to be completely within the purview of the assigned writer, and not affecting any other character in the Bat-family being written by someone else. Of course, the editor still would have the power to veto any specifics -- but when haven't they? DC management having made the decisions to 1) put her back in the costume, and 2) acknowledge that she used to be in a wheelchair, I don't really see where the HOW of it would much matter to them. But clearly it mattered to the readers who were reading the character in the pre-Flashpoint DCU. Not satisfying that need to know was just cruel, and a manipulative way to hold on to a few more readers for as long as it took for the reveal.
              DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by positronic View Post
                Sounds plausible, except that it wasn't really a question of "Was she, or was she not, ever in a wheelchair?". That much was acknowledged in the first issue. The HOW of it would seem to me to be completely within the purview of the assigned writer, and not affecting any other character in the Bat-family being written by someone else. Of course, the editor still would have the power to veto any specifics -- but when haven't they? DC management having made the decisions to 1) put her back in the costume, and 2) acknowledge that she used to be in a wheelchair, I don't really see where the HOW of it would much matter to them. But clearly it mattered to the readers who were reading the character in the pre-Flashpoint DCU. Not satisfying that need to know was just cruel, and a manipulative way to hold on to a few more readers for as long as it took for the reveal.
                But do we know for certain that Gail actually knew how long Babs was supposed to have been in the chair for? Those are the kind of details DC editorial seem not to have decided on until after the new series' were underway (hence all the confusion about whether or not there were Teen Titans before the latest lot). It could well be that she was holding off writing anything until she knew what she was allowed to write.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
                  It could well be that she was holding off writing anything until she knew what she was allowed to write.
                  I'll grant the possibility. On the other hand, wouldn't that explanation be part and parcel of her job description? I'm just finding it difficult to imagine a scenario in which, having written the story, she would have received some sort of editorial blanket rejection along the lines of "Sorry, no. It didn't happen that way. Please try again." Obviously the timeframe between pre-Flashpoint events and New 52 events for only-lightly-rebooted characters is somewhat elastic and fuzzy, but waiting a year or so wasn't going to resolve those kind of things. Certainly the writers of the various bat-titles could talk it out with each other and their editors, but somebody has to start hitting the keyboard, and not keep pretending the matter will resolve itself without any effort on their part. In essence, that's what they're being hired to do, to work out the details after management dictated the broad strokes by decree.

                  In my particular instance, I honestly didn't care much for the idea of putting Babs back in the suit in the first place, so really, my only reason for reading was to learn what their rationalization for the miracle cure was. When it became clear that explanation wasn't forthcoming, I completely lost interest.
                  DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    As happy as I was about hearing Gail Simone was coming to Dynamite, I was kind of hoping that the "big news" was going to be Project Superpowers related.

                    Bummer.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by manga4life View Post
                      As happy as I was about hearing Gail Simone was coming to Dynamite, I was kind of hoping that the "big news" was going to be Project Superpowers related.

                      Bummer.
                      Well, they did say "major franchise", which, for all my love of all things PSP-related, I knew they couldn't realistically stretch the definition of to include.
                      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by positronic View Post
                        The HOW of it would seem to me to be completely within the purview of the assigned writer, and not affecting any other character in the Bat-family being written by someone else.
                        It would seem that way to me too, and to many other people, including many writers who have had to dance around various things according to what appears to editorial whim directed by some sort of bizarre non-conscious Brownian motion, possibly sunspot activity, throwing darts at boards, etc., and there have been a lot of writers leaving with loud frustration over DC's current management style interfering with the stories they are trying to tell. I don't blame Gail at all for this. She's been hanging on very professionally without slamming editors (though I genuinely don't blame the people who have been) but I think a lot of it has been editorial problems. Heck, she even got fired via e-mail and handled it with more grace than I would expect from anyone, and then got re-hired after the fans exploded in reaction.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                          It would seem that way to me too, and to many other people, including many writers who have had to dance around various things according to what appears to editorial whim directed by some sort of bizarre non-conscious Brownian motion, possibly sunspot activity, throwing darts at boards, etc., and there have been a lot of writers leaving with loud frustration over DC's current management style interfering with the stories they are trying to tell. I don't blame Gail at all for this. She's been hanging on very professionally without slamming editors (though I genuinely don't blame the people who have been) but I think a lot of it has been editorial problems. Heck, she even got fired via e-mail and handled it with more grace than I would expect from anyone, and then got re-hired after the fans exploded in reaction.
                          It's like the 1980s at Marvel with EIC Jim Shooter all over again. I doubt that the "Brownian Motion" (which might be better described as Wavy Gravy or Fuzzy Logic) is non-conscious though. It must have a name like Dan DiDio, Eddie Berganza, or Bob Harras, since it would require a direct edict to prevent creators from being creative. Gail Simone might be a heck of a nice person for all I know, but I can only judge whether the end product of her efforts is entertaining to me or not, regardless of whatever interference or lack thereof was involved in producing it. Batgirl may have been a special case, although presumably if she could make me care enough about whatever else was going on in the story, it might have been enough to distract me from my frustration over burning unresolved questions. For what it's worth, by way of comparison, I much preferred Chuck Dixon's version of the pre-N52 Birds of Prey to Simone's, and both loved and hated different aspects of Secret Six at the same time. Ultimately that love/hate dynamic became very unsatisfying to me and I had to drop it.
                          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Regardless of if anyone likes it dislikes Simone, her being on this title along with it launching with a brand new #1 will draw readers into the book and will drum up some interest in Dynamite. Which is what this move was obviously designed to do.

                            Its better than not having her at all, so congrats to DE!
                            Dynamite Entertainment
                            Forum Administrator


                            Check out Dynamite on Twitter here!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Did they announce an artist on this book, or is that considered not important at all in the grand scheme of things? Should we assume this is a relaunch (if not a reboot) with a new #1? Who knows, if following in the tradition of Kevin Smith and Mark Waid, maybe even Gail Simone's Red Sonja #1? Now I think of it, the genre and universe is so different from her usual work on DC universe characters that there may be no real basis for comparison.
                              DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                So is the current Red Sonja series wrapping up then, or is the story going to carry over into Simones book, just with a new #1?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X