Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GAIL SIMONE ON RED SONJA STARTING IN JULY!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Walter Geovani View Post
    Thank you very much!It means a lot to me
    Walter, count me in as another of your fans. As far as I'm concerned you're the best Red Sonja artist since Boris and Dick Giordano. I've been a fan of Red's since she was a gleam in Roy Thomas' eye, (have every Marvel comic with her in it to prove it, too) so have seen a lot of Sonja art, and much of it very good indeed. You get much better and she'll be jumping out of the comic and into my living room, that's how alive your work is - cover or inside. Wishing you a long, successful, and satisfying run!

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by brickbutler View Post
      after reading the gail simone interview, and searching the web for some of her past work (I had never heard of her before), I am very excited for whats going to come this summer for ol' Red. This gail person said alot of things I, as a fan, wanted to hear. Definitely pre ordering this asap.

      although to be honest, I would buy this regardless, because I buy all of walter geovani's red sonja comics, because his art is great!
      Brickbutler, where did you find that interview? I've not heard of Gail Simone, and the thought of yet another DE Sonja (this will make at least 5) in the hands of an unknown makes me nervous.

      Comment


      • #18
        I'm kind of surprised to see comments from people who have never even heard of her. Even though to me, I never considered her a "big name", she's been around long enough and done more than a couple of things. I guess it just goes to show that Dynamite doesn't necessarily find its readers all from the ranks of (current or former) Marvel and DC readers. Although in this case, I guess it would be just DC, since I'm unaware myself of any work Simone may have done for Marvel. I would surmise that Olde Sonja Fan (from his username) goes back to the Marvel era Red Sonja, and maybe hasn't read a lot of recent comics other than DE's Red Sonja.
        Last edited by positronic; 04-08-2013, 02:11 AM.
        DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

        Comment


        • #19
          The covers for issue #1 have been revealed [comicvine.com].

          Notice the lack of the subtitle "She-Devil with a Sword."

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Olde Sonja Fan View Post
            Brickbutler, where did you find that interview? I've not heard of Gail Simone, and the thought of yet another DE Sonja (this will make at least 5) in the hands of an unknown makes me nervous.
            it was up on the dynamite home page for a couple of days back in march. But if you google "gail simone red sonja" you can easily find the article

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by positronic View Post
              I'm kind of surprised to see comments from people who have never even heard of her. Even though to me, I never considered her a "big name", she's been around long enough and done more than a couple of things. I guess it just goes to show that Dynamite doesn't necessarily find its readers all from the ranks of (current or former) Marvel and DC readers. Although in this case, I guess it would be just DC, since I'm unaware myself of any work Simone may have done for Marvel. I would surmise that Olde Sonja Fan (from his username) goes back to the Marvel era Red Sonja, and maybe hasn't read a lot of recent comics other than DE's Red Sonja.
              I do not read alot of comics anymore, which is why I had never heard of Gail Simone. But do I know comic writers from the 80's and 90's? off the top of my head:
              david michiline, roger stern, todd mcfarlane, tom defalco, and stan lee on amazing spiderman..............peter david on Hulk........larry hama on wolverine.......... frank miller on dark knight returns........roy thomas on red sonja/ Conan the Barbarian.........and the guy who did the original Punisher comic from the late 80's.........I cannot think of his name but he did like the first 20 or 30 issues in a row before other writers took over.

              I may have never heard of gail simone, but she has an opportunity to make me a fan by writing some bada$$ Red Sonja stories!

              Comment


              • #22
                I think the punisher-writer guy was Baron.......Mike Baron? (I am resisting the urge to use the internet to look it up) Perhaps it was Paul Baron?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by positronic View Post
                  I'm kind of surprised to see comments from people who have never even heard of her. Even though to me, I never considered her a "big name", she's been around long enough and done more than a couple of things. I guess it just goes to show that Dynamite doesn't necessarily find its readers all from the ranks of (current or former) Marvel and DC readers. Although in this case, I guess it would be just DC, since I'm unaware myself of any work Simone may have done for Marvel. I would surmise that Olde Sonja Fan (from his username) goes back to the Marvel era Red Sonja, and maybe hasn't read a lot of recent comics other than DE's Red Sonja.
                  Yes, I most definitely go back to the Marvel Red Sonja era, as in since 1974 (had to get back from floating around in the Pacific Ocean first), and have them all.

                  As for recent comics - other than Red, was reading Zatanna and Justice League until DC screwed everything up with their ghastly trashing the established universe for a total mess. Both titles wer FUBAR, so I ditched DC. There have been occasional forays into Sherlock Holmes. So many of the new titles are so just plain nasty I have no interest in them. Just walking into a comic shop is like taking a bath in organic fertilizer.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by brickbutler View Post
                    I do not read alot of comics anymore, which is why I had never heard of Gail Simone. But do I know comic writers from the 80's and 90's? off the top of my head:
                    david michiline, roger stern, todd mcfarlane, tom defalco, and stan lee on amazing spiderman..............peter david on Hulk........larry hama on wolverine.......... frank miller on dark knight returns........roy thomas on red sonja/ Conan the Barbarian.........and the guy who did the original Punisher comic from the late 80's.........I cannot think of his name but he did like the first 20 or 30 issues in a row before other writers took over.

                    I may have never heard of gail simone, but she has an opportunity to make me a fan by writing some bada$$ Red Sonja stories!
                    Well, she's been around, but not as long as those guys. Gerry Conway created The Punisher for Amazing Spider-Man #129, and also wrote his first solo appearance in the black and white magazine Marvel Super Action #1. Those were in 1974 and 1976, respectively, but The Punisher kind of took a while for the pot to come to a boil. That happened in 1986, when Steven Grant wrote the original 5-issue color comic miniseries drawn by Mike Zeck (later titled "Circle of Blood" for collected editions). That was popular enough to launch an ongoing series written for the first few years by Mike Baron (of Nexus and Badger fame), who was followed by a long run by Chuck Dixon.
                    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      The original "ongoing" punisher comic, if we have to get specific. (I was too young to get the punisher mini series by mike zeck) And I got Baron's name right! Anyway I remember the "ongoing" comic started when I was around 7 or 8 years old. I never could get it but a friend at school had them and I read his issues. ALOT. But if it was Spidey, Conan, or Red Sonja I would beg and plead to get the comics while my family was at the grocery store! Heck probably ALL my Red Sonja comics from the 1980's came from K-mart, kroger, or food lion!
                      I'm awesome!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Olde Sonja Fan View Post
                        Walter, count me in as another of your fans. As far as I'm concerned you're the best Red Sonja artist since Boris and Dick Giordano. I've been a fan of Red's since she was a gleam in Roy Thomas' eye, (have every Marvel comic with her in it to prove it, too) so have seen a lot of Sonja art, and much of it very good indeed. You get much better and she'll be jumping out of the comic and into my living room, that's how alive your work is - cover or inside. Wishing you a long, successful, and satisfying run!
                        Man,THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the kind words!!!!!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by brickbutler View Post
                          The original "ongoing" punisher comic, if we have to get specific. (I was too young to get the punisher mini series by mike zeck) And I got Baron's name right! Anyway I remember the "ongoing" comic started when I was around 7 or 8 years old. I never could get it but a friend at school had them and I read his issues. ALOT. But if it was Spidey, Conan, or Red Sonja I would beg and plead to get the comics while my family was at the grocery store! Heck probably ALL my Red Sonja comics from the 1980's came from K-mart, kroger, or food lion!
                          I'm awesome!
                          The Chuck Dixon Punisher stories were pretty good too, you should check them out.

                          Your comments make me wonder where kids get their comics today, if they are not fortunate enough to live close to a comic book store, or have a parent willing to drive them to one on a semi-regular basis. I guess the most likely answer is, "They don't". The closest non-comic shop equivalent today would probably be a brick & mortar bookstore chain like Barnes & Noble or something, but those seem to be slowly drying up too, in favor of online booksellers. Then again, kids have a lot more distractions today (or "entertainment options" to be fair) with the internet, videogames, DVDs, and on-demand programming. Reading is generally seen as "homework" to a big segment of kids.
                          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Largo View Post
                            The covers for issue #1 have been revealed [comicvine.com].

                            Notice the lack of the subtitle "She-Devil with a Sword."
                            Daym...some fine covers there.

                            Might have to go with Conner.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              I'm a huge Conan fan and have always been disappointed that I couldn't get the same interest out of a Red Sonja book. The art is usually always good, but the stories don't keep me. I've bought a lot of them and traded in a lot of them. I thought Gail Simone was awesome on Secret Six. I didn't hang with Batgirl long, just because I drop the mainstream superhero books when money requires it so I can keep getting the other stuff, but she was doing good and still getting good reviews. I'm really hopeful to finally get a Red Sonja book I can get hooked on.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                One more cover for issue #1: the Midtown Comics exclusive variant cover by Nei Ruffino.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X