Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GAIL SIMONE ON RED SONJA STARTING IN JULY!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am loving all these new covers we are getting. It's nice to be able to "pick the cover you like best", But what matters most is what is between the front and back covers. With walter on board, the art will be great as always. July is gonna be an exciting month for unknowns!
    1- new wolverine flick! Will it suck?
    2- New red sonja comic with alot of hype. Will it live up?
    3- How will the vampire sonja story arc start? With a bang or a whimper?
    4- which amazing cover to the gail simone sonja-comic do you finally pick? Or should you buy more than one?
    5- will red sonja unchained #3 make it out by july?

Comment

Originally posted by brickbutler View Post
      I am loving all these new covers we are getting. It's nice to be able to "pick the cover you like best", But what matters most is what is between the front and back covers. With walter on board, the art will be great as always. July is gonna be an exciting month for unknowns!
      1- new wolverine flick! Will it suck?
      Probably. But that's coming from a guy who doesn't really care much about Wolverine. I actually thought Hugh Jackman was pretty good in Van Helsing. Still haven't seen Real Steel, but I'd like to, one of these days.
      A better question would be, where's the Red Sonja movie? Or is it officially considered dead now?

2- New red sonja comic with alot of hype. Will it live up?
      Maybe. Just need to check back here for the reaction thread.

3- How will the vampire sonja story arc start? With a bang or a whimper?
      I suspect there will be a lot of whimpering (it has already begun), and not much banging.

4- which amazing cover to the gail simone sonja-comic do you finally pick? Or should you buy more than one?
      You should buy the one (or ones) you like best. Assuming you can find a copy - not all stores may have all the covers.

5- will red sonja unchained #3 make it out by july?
      Good question.
      Last edited by positronic; 04-18-2013, 01:45 AM.
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Real Steel was a fun flick but it borrowed alot of elements from the first ROCKY movie and also from Jean claude van-damme's LIONHEART. So as long as you wont get upset when you see Real Steel rip off entire scenes from ROCKY and also borrow the plot from LIONHEART you should check it out.

Fun Fact- Real Steel feels very, very much like an 80's popcorn movie of "overcoming adversity by yourself" and "triumphing over all odds" while at the same time having modern special effects. If you enjoy alot of this style of movie, Real Steel won't disappoint you too much.

movies Real Steel has alot in common with: OVER THE TOP, BLOODSPORT, LIONHEART, RUDY, KARATE KID, KICKBOXER, IRON EAGLE, or ROCKY 1-6

ps- The red sonja movie that robert rodreguiz was attempting to get off the ground? It's DEAD!
        Last edited by brickbutler; 04-24-2013, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Real Steel was a fun flick but it borrowed alot of elements from the first ROCKY movie and also from Jean claude van-damme's LIONHEART. So as long as you wont get upset when you see Real Steel rip off entire scenes from ROCKY and also borrow the plot from LIONHEART you should check it out.

Fun Fact- Real Steel feels very, very much like an 80's popcorn movie of "overcoming adversity by yourself" and "triumphing over all odds" while at the same time having modern special effects. If you enjoy alot of this style of movie, Real Steel won't disappoint you too much.

movies Real Steel has alot in common with: OVER THE TOP, BLOODSPORT, LIONHEART, RUDY, KARATE KID, KICKBOXER, IRON EAGLE, or ROCKY 1-6

ps- The red sonja movie that robert rodreguiz was attempting to get off the ground? It's DEAD!
          Book NERD PEDANTRY ALERT: "Real Steel" had an awful lot more to do with the Richard Matheson-penned short story "Steel," at least according to the film's credits. Also: you should read "Steel," because it is awesome.

Barring that, it was a great episode of The Twilight Zone, starring Lee Marvin. Devoid of a happy ending, completely bleak and somber, tonally light years away from the Jackman film.

BOOK NERD PEDANTRY CONCLUDED.

-E

Comment

Eric: I don't think I have the Matheson story in one of my anthologies, but I did remember the Twilight Zone episode and loved it. That was one of my primary reasons for wanting to check out Real Steel. Reviews seemed a little mixed, but generally positive.

Brick: I can't believe you didn't mention the word "robot" once! As you can probably guess from my username, that's kind of a selling point for me. The ones in the previews to Real Steel looked pretty cool to me. Strangely enough, the Transformer movies didn't do much for me.

Wow, didn't mean to hijack Red Sonja's thread. Sorry.
            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Eric- I love the old twilight zone episodes, and will try to track it down. (Theeeeere's something on the wing! Some.....THING!!) I would also like to read the story "Steel" one day, but I would rather read some awesome Red Sonja tales! By the way- you still working on that Red Sonja survival horror story I requested? Please?

Tronic- I didnt mention the word robot cause believe it or not, for a movie about fighting automatons, robots have little to do with the "feel" of the Real Steel flick. But check it out!

Comment

Last one, I promise...

The Matheson story was recently reprinted in a mass-market paperback, along with some of his other short stories:

STEEL and Other Stories by Richard Matheson

Click image for larger version

Name:	STEEL.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	48772

Comment

Eric- I love the old twilight zone episodes, and will try to track it down. (Theeeeere's something on the wing! Some.....THING!!) I would also like to read the story "Steel" one day, but I would rather read some awesome Red Sonja tales! By the way- you still working on that Red Sonja survival horror story I requested? Please?
                  Alas, I'm not working on any Red Sonja at the moment. My run's over.

-E

Comment

Originally posted by eric_trautmann View Post
                    Alas, I'm not working on any Red Sonja at the moment. My run's over.

-E
                    Wait, already? You're on till #75, right?

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                      Wait, already? You're on till #75, right?
                      Yes, which I wrapped up a couple months ago.

-E

Comment

Ah, I see! Dumb question--where in Dynamite's Red Sonja continuity does your run take place? Is it before issue #1 of the 75-issue series? I read something that suggested it was in her pre-meeting-Conan days, and I've assumed all of the other stories are set after she met Conan.

Comment

I read something that suggested it was in her pre-meeting-Conan days, and I've assumed all of the other stories are set after she met Conan.
                          This may ALSO be a dumb question -- has Dynamite's Red Sonja (the new stories, not the reprints) referenced Conan in ANY way (by which I assume would not be by actual name or likeness)?

Comment

Not that I've seen, but I'm just trying to get a sense of the order the stories are set in.

Comment

By the way, where the heck are Dynamite's July solicits??

Comment

By the way, where the heck are Dynamite's July solicits??
                                Right where they always are, in the Diamond PREVIEWS catalog that shipped to comic shops last week.

If you're asking why they aren't simultaneously available on the Solicitations page of Dynamite's own website, well, that's a good question. I would suggest you ask the webmaster directly by emailing Dynamite. Since I work part time in a comic shop, I don't bother googling with my goo-goo-googly eyes all over the interwebs looking for these things, I just sit there patiently until the print catalog comes in on the last Wednesday of every month.

In my fantasy world, if I am a comic publisher, I make sure the webmaster of my site gets the solicits well before Diamond has a chance to send them to the printer. In fact, I would strongly suggest to said webmaster that he set up a link for interested fans to sign up for an email list of the solicits for my company every month. This is obviously a dumb (or otherwise completely unworkable) idea, since nobody (not just Dynamite) seems to be doing it.

Comment

Working...
                                X