Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GAIL SIMONE ON RED SONJA STARTING IN JULY!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Eric- I love the old twilight zone episodes, and will try to track it down. (Theeeeere's something on the wing! Some.....THING!!) I would also like to read the story "Steel" one day, but I would rather read some awesome Red Sonja tales! By the way- you still working on that Red Sonja survival horror story I requested? Please?

Tronic- I didnt mention the word robot cause believe it or not, for a movie about fighting automatons, robots have little to do with the "feel" of the Real Steel flick. But check it out!

Leave a comment:

• positronic
    replied
    Eric: I don't think I have the Matheson story in one of my anthologies, but I did remember the Twilight Zone episode and loved it. That was one of my primary reasons for wanting to check out Real Steel. Reviews seemed a little mixed, but generally positive.

Brick: I can't believe you didn't mention the word "robot" once! As you can probably guess from my username, that's kind of a selling point for me. The ones in the previews to Real Steel looked pretty cool to me. Strangely enough, the Transformer movies didn't do much for me.

Wow, didn't mean to hijack Red Sonja's thread. Sorry.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by brickbutler View Post
    Real Steel was a fun flick but it borrowed alot of elements from the first ROCKY movie and also from Jean claude van-damme's LIONHEART. So as long as you wont get upset when you see Real Steel rip off entire scenes from ROCKY and also borrow the plot from LIONHEART you should check it out.

Fun Fact- Real Steel feels very, very much like an 80's popcorn movie of "overcoming adversity by yourself" and "triumphing over all odds" while at the same time having modern special effects. If you enjoy alot of this style of movie, Real Steel won't disappoint you too much.

movies Real Steel has alot in common with: OVER THE TOP, BLOODSPORT, LIONHEART, RUDY, KARATE KID, KICKBOXER, IRON EAGLE, or ROCKY 1-6

ps- The red sonja movie that robert rodreguiz was attempting to get off the ground? It's DEAD!
    Book NERD PEDANTRY ALERT: "Real Steel" had an awful lot more to do with the Richard Matheson-penned short story "Steel," at least according to the film's credits. Also: you should read "Steel," because it is awesome.

Barring that, it was a great episode of The Twilight Zone, starring Lee Marvin. Devoid of a happy ending, completely bleak and somber, tonally light years away from the Jackman film.

BOOK NERD PEDANTRY CONCLUDED.

-E

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Real Steel was a fun flick but it borrowed alot of elements from the first ROCKY movie and also from Jean claude van-damme's LIONHEART. So as long as you wont get upset when you see Real Steel rip off entire scenes from ROCKY and also borrow the plot from LIONHEART you should check it out.

Fun Fact- Real Steel feels very, very much like an 80's popcorn movie of "overcoming adversity by yourself" and "triumphing over all odds" while at the same time having modern special effects. If you enjoy alot of this style of movie, Real Steel won't disappoint you too much.

movies Real Steel has alot in common with: OVER THE TOP, BLOODSPORT, LIONHEART, RUDY, KARATE KID, KICKBOXER, IRON EAGLE, or ROCKY 1-6

ps- The red sonja movie that robert rodreguiz was attempting to get off the ground? It's DEAD!
    Last edited by brickbutler; 04-24-2013, 01:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• positronic
    replied
    I am loving all these new covers we are getting. It's nice to be able to "pick the cover you like best", But what matters most is what is between the front and back covers. With walter on board, the art will be great as always. July is gonna be an exciting month for unknowns!
    1- new wolverine flick! Will it suck?
    Probably. But that's coming from a guy who doesn't really care much about Wolverine. I actually thought Hugh Jackman was pretty good in Van Helsing. Still haven't seen Real Steel, but I'd like to, one of these days.
    A better question would be, where's the Red Sonja movie? Or is it officially considered dead now?

2- New red sonja comic with alot of hype. Will it live up?
    Maybe. Just need to check back here for the reaction thread.

3- How will the vampire sonja story arc start? With a bang or a whimper?
    I suspect there will be a lot of whimpering (it has already begun), and not much banging.

4- which amazing cover to the gail simone sonja-comic do you finally pick? Or should you buy more than one?
    You should buy the one (or ones) you like best. Assuming you can find a copy - not all stores may have all the covers.

5- will red sonja unchained #3 make it out by july?
    Good question.
    Last edited by positronic; 04-18-2013, 01:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I am loving all these new covers we are getting. It's nice to be able to "pick the cover you like best", But what matters most is what is between the front and back covers. With walter on board, the art will be great as always. July is gonna be an exciting month for unknowns!
    1- new wolverine flick! Will it suck?
    2- New red sonja comic with alot of hype. Will it live up?
    3- How will the vampire sonja story arc start? With a bang or a whimper?
    4- which amazing cover to the gail simone sonja-comic do you finally pick? Or should you buy more than one?
    5- will red sonja unchained #3 make it out by july?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    One more cover for issue #1: the Midtown Comics exclusive variant cover by Nei Ruffino.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'm a huge Conan fan and have always been disappointed that I couldn't get the same interest out of a Red Sonja book. The art is usually always good, but the stories don't keep me. I've bought a lot of them and traded in a lot of them. I thought Gail Simone was awesome on Secret Six. I didn't hang with Batgirl long, just because I drop the mainstream superhero books when money requires it so I can keep getting the other stuff, but she was doing good and still getting good reviews. I'm really hopeful to finally get a Red Sonja book I can get hooked on.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Largo View Post
    The covers for issue #1 have been revealed [comicvine.com].

Notice the lack of the subtitle "She-Devil with a Sword."
    Daym...some fine covers there.

Might have to go with Conner.

Leave a comment:

• positronic
    replied
    The original "ongoing" punisher comic, if we have to get specific. (I was too young to get the punisher mini series by mike zeck) And I got Baron's name right! Anyway I remember the "ongoing" comic started when I was around 7 or 8 years old. I never could get it but a friend at school had them and I read his issues. ALOT. But if it was Spidey, Conan, or Red Sonja I would beg and plead to get the comics while my family was at the grocery store! Heck probably ALL my Red Sonja comics from the 1980's came from K-mart, kroger, or food lion!
    I'm awesome!
    The Chuck Dixon Punisher stories were pretty good too, you should check them out.

Your comments make me wonder where kids get their comics today, if they are not fortunate enough to live close to a comic book store, or have a parent willing to drive them to one on a semi-regular basis. I guess the most likely answer is, "They don't". The closest non-comic shop equivalent today would probably be a brick & mortar bookstore chain like Barnes & Noble or something, but those seem to be slowly drying up too, in favor of online booksellers. Then again, kids have a lot more distractions today (or "entertainment options" to be fair) with the internet, videogames, DVDs, and on-demand programming. Reading is generally seen as "homework" to a big segment of kids.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Olde Sonja Fan View Post
    Walter, count me in as another of your fans. As far as I'm concerned you're the best Red Sonja artist since Boris and Dick Giordano. I've been a fan of Red's since she was a gleam in Roy Thomas' eye, (have every Marvel comic with her in it to prove it, too) so have seen a lot of Sonja art, and much of it very good indeed. You get much better and she'll be jumping out of the comic and into my living room, that's how alive your work is - cover or inside. Wishing you a long, successful, and satisfying run!
    Man,THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the kind words!!!!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The original "ongoing" punisher comic, if we have to get specific. (I was too young to get the punisher mini series by mike zeck) And I got Baron's name right! Anyway I remember the "ongoing" comic started when I was around 7 or 8 years old. I never could get it but a friend at school had them and I read his issues. ALOT. But if it was Spidey, Conan, or Red Sonja I would beg and plead to get the comics while my family was at the grocery store! Heck probably ALL my Red Sonja comics from the 1980's came from K-mart, kroger, or food lion!
    I'm awesome!

Leave a comment:

• positronic
    replied
    I do not read alot of comics anymore, which is why I had never heard of Gail Simone. But do I know comic writers from the 80's and 90's? off the top of my head:
    david michiline, roger stern, todd mcfarlane, tom defalco, and stan lee on amazing spiderman..............peter david on Hulk........larry hama on wolverine.......... frank miller on dark knight returns........roy thomas on red sonja/ Conan the Barbarian.........and the guy who did the original Punisher comic from the late 80's.........I cannot think of his name but he did like the first 20 or 30 issues in a row before other writers took over.

I may have never heard of gail simone, but she has an opportunity to make me a fan by writing some bada$$ Red Sonja stories!
    Well, she's been around, but not as long as those guys. Gerry Conway created The Punisher for Amazing Spider-Man #129, and also wrote his first solo appearance in the black and white magazine Marvel Super Action #1. Those were in 1974 and 1976, respectively, but The Punisher kind of took a while for the pot to come to a boil. That happened in 1986, when Steven Grant wrote the original 5-issue color comic miniseries drawn by Mike Zeck (later titled "Circle of Blood" for collected editions). That was popular enough to launch an ongoing series written for the first few years by Mike Baron (of Nexus and Badger fame), who was followed by a long run by Chuck Dixon.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by positronic View Post
    I'm kind of surprised to see comments from people who have never even heard of her. Even though to me, I never considered her a "big name", she's been around long enough and done more than a couple of things. I guess it just goes to show that Dynamite doesn't necessarily find its readers all from the ranks of (current or former) Marvel and DC readers. Although in this case, I guess it would be just DC, since I'm unaware myself of any work Simone may have done for Marvel. I would surmise that Olde Sonja Fan (from his username) goes back to the Marvel era Red Sonja, and maybe hasn't read a lot of recent comics other than DE's Red Sonja.
    Yes, I most definitely go back to the Marvel Red Sonja era, as in since 1974 (had to get back from floating around in the Pacific Ocean first), and have them all.

As for recent comics - other than Red, was reading Zatanna and Justice League until DC screwed everything up with their ghastly trashing the established universe for a total mess. Both titles wer FUBAR, so I ditched DC. There have been occasional forays into Sherlock Holmes. So many of the new titles are so just plain nasty I have no interest in them. Just walking into a comic shop is like taking a bath in organic fertilizer.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I think the punisher-writer guy was Baron.......Mike Baron? (I am resisting the urge to use the internet to look it up) Perhaps it was Paul Baron?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X