Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Gail Simone's Red Sonja series a reboot?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by estee View Post
    Hey if the Big Two can re-boot every damn title all the time, so should Dynamite.
    Well, DC reboots a lot, but Marvel really doesn't do that. The closest they've really come has been One More Day.

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
      Well, DC reboots a lot, but Marvel really doesn't do that. The closest they've really come has been One More Day.
      Rumors seem to be flying hot and heavy that Age of Ultron = Marvel's Flashpoint. So far it just looks like a refried Days of Future Past or Age of Apocalypse, but who knows? Marvel keeps teasing "universe-changing".
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
        Rumors seem to be flying hot and heavy that Age of Ultron = Marvel's Flashpoint. So far it just looks like a refried Days of Future Past or Age of Apocalypse, but who knows? Marvel keeps teasing "universe-changing".
        These rumours have been flying around with every event Marvel has done since DC's Flashpoint. People seem obsessed with the idea that if DC did it, Marvel will too. I just don't believe that. Marvel operates in a diferent way-the entire line was founded on the idea of a shared universe from day one (unlike DC, where comparatively little attention was paid to cross title continuity until about the 1970s), and Marvel know their fans are very invested in the continuity. That's why they created the Ultimate line as an alternative rather than rebooting the mmain universe years ago. They may make periodic retcons here and there, but they wouldn't risk alienating their fan base by trashing it all.

Comment

Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
          They may make periodic retcons here and there, but they wouldn't risk alienating their fan base by trashing it all.
          Y'know, that's exactly what I said when the rumors were flying about DC rebooting prior to Flashpoint. Marvel doesn't care about you or me any more than DC does. At the end of the day, it's all about the bottom line. Whatever it takes to keep the corporate masters happy. As for risking alienation, for me that ship sailed a while ago -- no wholesale reboot required. The accumulation of periodic retcons was more than enough.
          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

I still don't see it happening. Anyway, it appears that Marvel's "universe changing event" may simply be the introduction to the Marvel Universe of a previously non-Marvel character, Angela from the Spawn series, who is joining the cast of Guardians of the Galaxy at the end of Age of Ultron. Slightly more interesting than that, though, is that she-and GOTG-is to be (co-)written by Neil Gaiman himself...

Comment

I still don't see it happening. Anyway, it appears that Marvel's "universe changing event" may simply be the introduction to the Marvel Universe of a previously non-Marvel character, Angela from the Spawn series, who is joining the cast of Guardians of the Galaxy at the end of Age of Ultron. Slightly more interesting than that, though, is that she-and GOTG-is to be (co-)written by Neil Gaiman himself...
              Wow, Angela. Kinda scraping the bottom of the barrel of the definition of "universe-changing", huh? Or is "Angela" just the code-name for the long-delayed debut of Marvelman? That's one rumor. Another is that Wolverine and Sue Storm have to go back to the beginning of time and re-create the universe. (Of course Marvel denies allegations of a reboot. But their attitude could well be, "Well, it happens in the continuity of the story, so it's not a reboot, even if the universe is re-created".)

I'd feel a lot more drama about the "1st appearance Wolverine skewers Ultimate Marvel Wolverine" cover if he didn't have a healing factor - or if it wasn't Ultimate Marvel Wolverine. Anyway, since I no longer have any particular attachment to it, it's irrelevant to me whether they reboot the Marvel Universe or not. Just something to talk about while hanging around the comic shop. If Neil Gaiman writing Guardians of the Galaxy (I title I actually used to like, back when mostly nobody else cared, when it was written by Abnett & Lanning) for 6 months is what it takes to get Marvel fans excited, so be it. Maybe bring back 1602 (which I never could figure out) while they're at it.

Comment

And the solicits for stuff the month Age of Ultron ends don't at all suggest that the Marvel universe is being rebooted. I think they're doing things a lot better than DC.

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                  Probably make more sense to repost it as its own thread. People who have thought about that would be more likely to notice it. Just saying.
                  I'm going to give it a try again and hope I don't get in trouble...

Comment

Hooray!! I have an answer!!

chastmastr asked: I know I've asked before, but is your Red Sonja a reboot, or is it part of the prior RS continuity? (And if so, is the whole Queen Sonja/Scathach and Gath as former lovers/Sonja reincarnated thing (disclaimer: none of which I am a fan of) part of your continuity?)

Gail Simone replied: It is a new start, Dynamite says it is a complete reboot but I think we will definitely refer to key elements in her history. I hate to negate stories unnecessarily.

Comment

Good news. I like her attitude-negating stories for no good reason was exactly what ruined DC for me.

Comment

Good news. I like her attitude-negating stories for no good reason was exactly what ruined DC for me.
                        Although in my view, negating Sonja-as-Vampire-as-result-of-Prophecy and the Scathach retcon and the reincarnation are worth negating for Sonja's main continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                          Although in my view, negating Sonja-as-Vampire-as-result-of-Prophecy and the Scathach retcon and the reincarnation are worth negating for Sonja's main continuity.
                          Sonja as a vampire? When did that happen? I confess to not having read Prophecy, if that is where it does. To me that is abominable, and little short of blasphemy. It makes what happened in the infamous issue 15 of the first series pale by comparison. That kind of thing makes me wonder whether the DE brass are trying to out do DC in ruining established characters and storylines, something that I stopped getting any DC for. I understand that different writers will have a different take on a character, even an established one (and Sonja is definitely established - her first appearance in Conan 23, Feb 1973, was a bit over 40 years ago), to totally change - even pervert - comes across as grounds for the holders of the Red Sonja IP to get involved and give someone a reality check.

Reasonable variations are acceptable so long as they do not stray far from the established standard, and Sonja has an established standard, the work published during the Marvel era, especially during the reign of Roy Thomas. Having recently gone through my DE Sonja, I can understand why Brian Reed did the reincarnation thing. There were so many variations from the established Sonja (in an article he referred to it as a 'mess') that what he did in issue 35 comes across as a valid restart with an acknowledged new Sonja. I saw so many of them that I knew the DE version was a different Sonja before he came on board. At least his work made sense (other than Scathach), was well written, and had direction. Am actually sorry his work was cut short in favor of the 'Queen Sonja' business.

That lacked direction and coherence and gave us a 'Sonja' that did not get her own origin story right, violated her solemn vow, and had so many variances with her established personality and character the only resemblance to Red Sonja was her hair and name. The only stories that have been close have been the one-shots, most of the mini-series, and the fine work of Eric Trautmann, who stated his goal was to write a Red Sonja between 'The Day of the Sword' and 'The Song of Red Sonja'. From what I've read so far, am inclined to believe he has succeeded very well. I hope for Sonja's sake, and ours, that MS Simone is closer to Messers Thomas and Trautmann than what we have been getting lately.

Comment

I guess the same old logic applies, that they're hoping to attract more than enough new readers to make up for however many old-time readers they piss off. I know it can be done (I've seen it) in such a way as to attract new readers without pissing off the old ones, but it's a bit trickier and requires a real talent for that sort of thing. Sadly, most of the time they just take the easy route of reboot. Probably too soon to jump all over someone's case about exactly how this one is going to play out, so don't get too bent out of shape until you read the actual comic. Personally, I'm not too invested in the history of this character since I missed the first 4 or 5 years of DE's run and didn't really know where to jump in, so I'm not going to be in the group of "pissed-off" readers either way, but I'm against the idea of reboots just on general principles. I guess the general idea is to trim down all the excess and non-essentials to the character that have accumulated over decades, but somehow that never really seems to work. They tend to be cosmetic face-lifts, and not really add any value to the basic concept that has endured for so long, beyond creating an entry point for some readers and an end point for others.

Comment

Working...
                            X