Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Gail Simone's Red Sonja series a reboot?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Gail Simone's Red Sonja series a reboot?

Just wondering: Is Gail Simone's Red Sonja series a reboot? Been trying to find info on it...

Which Red Sonja miniseries/one-shots take place in the Queen Sonja continuity?

And another question: Which Red Sonja miniseries/one-shots take place in the Queen Sonja continuity (Sonja dies, is reincarnated decades later, becomes queen, etc.)? I've heard that Atlantis Rises is one but I am not sure.

Comment

According to this post the series will be rebooted.

Comment

I don't really see the need for a reboot. Like Conan, Red Sonja is a character who can be launched into new adventures with no reference to previous continuity without actually losing any of it, simply because she is a wanderer. Why reboot?

Comment

Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
          I don't really see the need for a reboot. Like Conan, Red Sonja is a character who can be launched into new adventures with no reference to previous continuity without actually losing any of it, simply because she is a wanderer. Why reboot?
          Honestly, if they've put "made into a vampire and battled Dracula" into her own book, I think that's an excellent reason to reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by Largo View Post
            According to this post the series will be rebooted.
            Yes, but the post in question doesn't say where they got that info from, and I haven't found anything supporting it, so I'm hoping someone knows, like an interview, an announcement, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
              And another question: Which Red Sonja miniseries/one-shots take place in the Queen Sonja continuity (Sonja dies, is reincarnated decades later, becomes queen, etc.)? I've heard that Atlantis Rises is one but I am not sure.
              This was meant to be its own thread as it's pretty thoroughly disconnected from the Simone reboot question, but it got folded into the Simone thread, so I hope someone can let me know...

Comment

Probably make more sense to repost it as its own thread. People who have thought about that would be more likely to notice it. Just saying.
                DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post
                  Probably make more sense to repost it as its own thread. People who have thought about that would be more likely to notice it. Just saying.
                  I know, but if a mod moved it, then I don't want to annoy them. It's not my board, after all!

Comment

"Fans will definitely want to pick up Gail Simone's RED SONJA #1 this July!"
                    --source [dynamite.com]

"Gail Simone has signed on to write a new ongoing Red Sonja series, with the first issue arriving in stores this summer"
                    --source [comicsalliance.com].

"Gail Simone will be writing Dynamite’s relaunched Red Sonja series..."
                    --source [bleedingcool.com].
                    Last edited by Largo; 03-19-2013, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Yes... none of which are the same as a reboot... Ignoring DC's "New 52" (which is probably for the best, come to think of it), most #1 issues and relaunches aren't reboots with a new continuity.

Comment

the phrase reboot is being over used. The best way I can explain it from what I under stand is that it is a "new starting point" and a fresh way to "look at the character". To all the red sonja fans, I would say don't panic, don't get pissed off and don't expect anything at this point. Gail Simone claims that she is a fan of red sonja herself, so I have confidance that she is not going to go completely nuts and ruin anything. And as far as continuity is concerned, it is a very, very rare thing when a new writer takes over that some aspect of a character isn't revised or slightly altered. Being a fictional character, there will probably never be a red sonja continuity that stays forever. And I'm totally okay with that. The main thing, is that the new stories we get don't suck, and Sonja is still sonja!

Comment

All reboots are relaunches, but not all relaunches are reboots, by a long shot. Most aren't. Then again on the other hand, Dynamite tends to skew their promotional copy to de-emphasize things that might register negatively with some fans (like "limited series", the phrase they will never utter), so if it IS a reboot, they may well choose to avoid mentioning that in their promotional copy.
                          DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
                            So can anyone tell me for certain?

Comment

Hey if the Big Two can re-boot every damn title all the time, so should Dynamite.

New Creative Team, new number, same old awesome.

I hope.

Comment

Working...
                              X