Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Red Sonja miniseries/one-shots take place in the Queen Sonja continuity?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Red Sonja miniseries/one-shots take place in the Queen Sonja continuity?

Which Red Sonja miniseries/one-shots take place in the Queen Sonja continuity (Sonja dies, is reincarnated decades later, becomes queen, etc.)? I've heard that Atlantis Rises is one but I am not sure. I really want to know; I avoid the Queen Sonja continuity altogether, so this will genuinely affect my purchases of back issues, trades, etc.

(I posted this at about the same time as an unrelated Sonja question and they got fused together, so I hope that since some time has passed this thread can stay.)

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
    Which Red Sonja miniseries/one-shots take place in the Queen Sonja continuity (Sonja dies, is reincarnated decades later, becomes queen, etc.)? I've heard that Atlantis Rises is one but I am not sure. I really want to know; I avoid the Queen Sonja continuity altogether, so this will genuinely affect my purchases of back issues, trades, etc.

(I posted this at about the same time as an unrelated Sonja question and they got fused together, so I hope that since some time has passed this thread can stay.)
    none of the one-shots are related to queen sonja. All The mini series that have thulsa doom in them could be considered "loosly connected" to queen sonja, since thulsa doom is also a main antagonist in that book.

If you avoid the queen sonja continuity, then you should purchase the SAVAGE TALES OF RED SONJA tpb, which is 10-12 stand alone short stories and some of the best sonja stuff dynamite has ever done. You can easily get the savage tpb new from the dynamite store, amazon, or used at multiple places on the web.

Also- in my opinion, there has never been a bad/boring red sonja one-shot. I strongly suggest you get every single one-shot of sonja there is. They are all stand alone stories, and all great.

EXTRA STUFF- I also recommend Red Sonja Annual #3, Conan the barbarian #24(by marvel), Savage sword of Conan #1(by marvel), and the tpb of "Savage Red Sonja: queen of the frozen wastes" which despite the title has nothing to do with the queen sonja continuity. All 4 of these are stand alone stories and in my opinion good.

(ps- conan the barbarian #24 isn't just good, it's GREAT. As a red sonja fan, I read it every couple of years!)

Comment

one more thing-
      the savage sword of conan #1 can be very expensive, so you may think I was crazy for listing it. BUT, the red sonja story from it was reprinted in conan the barbarian #78 and that issue can be found very cheap. The story is called CURSE OF THE UNDEAD MAN, and it's excellent.

Comment

Thank you! I don't mind Thulsa Doom, just the Queen Sonja continuity (especially the whole retcon business of Sonja's creation by the "false goddess" Scathach, and Scathach and Thulsa Doom being lovers, and so on).

Comment

Atlantis rising/attacks/emerges/surfaces/whatever or Thulsa Doom attacks Sonja vol 5...or 6... refrences Queen Sonja, claiming Sonja left her throne, so I would say its safe to say thats related.

Also, Im sick of Thulsa Doom and Kulan Gath being the big bads of Sonja....

Comment

Originally posted by brickbutler View Post
            Also- in my opinion, there has never been a bad/boring red sonja one-shot. I strongly suggest you get every single one-shot of sonja there is. They are all stand alone stories, and all great.
            Has there been a TPB collection (or collections) of the one-shots? If not, how many issues are we talking about? Do you have a list handy, or is it too many?
            DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

the cheapest way to collect the dynamite one-shots is the individual issues.
              Red Sonja Deluge
              Red Sonja Monster Island
              Red Sonja Raven
              Red Sonja One More Day
              Sonja goes East
              Red Sonja: Blue

I know I'm forgetting a few........but these will get you started and they can be found super cheap.

If you are a tpb man, and you don't own any one-shots yet- then your first purchase should be "Red Sonja Travels" ; a collection of the first 4 oneshots. You can get it on amazon or ebay (or where-ever) but it will probably be at least 20 bucks. So you just got to weight what is important to you........money or the shelf quality of a tpb?

Either way- get the one shots. They are all very good!
              Last edited by brickbutler; 04-24-2013, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brickbutler View Post
                the cheapest way to collect the dynamite one-shots is the individual issues.
                Red Sonja Deluge
                Red Sonja Monster Island
                Red Sonja Raven
                Red Sonja One More Day
                Sonja goes East
                Red Sonja: Blue

I know I'm forgetting a few........but these will get you started and they can be found super cheap.

If you are a tpb man, and you don't own any one-shots yet- then your first purchase should be "Red Sonja Travels" ; a collection of the first 4 oneshots. You can get it on amazon or ebay (or where-ever) but it will probably be at least 20 bucks. So you just got to weight what is important to you........money or the shelf quality of a tpb?

Either way- get the one shots. They are all very good!
                It's just that it's a lot easier to find one or two TPs than half-a-dozen individual issues. Sure, if you spend enough time going from store to convention scouring the dollar bins, you can save money, but it's a lot of time and patience. Easier to go straight for the trade, and then just keep an eye out for the rest as something on the back burner.

So that's 3 TPs that pretty much stand alone, apart from any ongoing RS continuities: Savage Tales of, Queen of the Frozen Wastes, and Travels. That's just what I wanted to know, thanks.
                Last edited by positronic; 04-24-2013, 01:44 PM.
                DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

I own those 3 TP's and will never part with them!

Comment

Working...
                  X