Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Plans for a 'Happy 40th, Red Sonja'?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chast - Oddly enough, as much as I hate the New 52, All Star Western is one of the few titles I can stand to read. So far, I don't think there's actually been anything in there that contradicts any of Hex's pre-Flashpoint stories. It helps that Palmiotti & Gray carried over from the pre-52 series. And the crossovers have at least been less intrusive (being set in the past) than any of the others they've done with present-day titles.
    DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Parallels between Red Sonja and Green Hornet:

Gail Simone's Red Sonja - Well, no actual issues yet, but the general reaction to the news seems to be that people are loving the idea. Or at least looking forward with great anticipation.
      Mark Waid's Green Hornet - Just came out with the first issue and people generally seem to be loving it. Overwhelmingly positive response and people are embracing it with enthusiasm.

Red Sonja (current ongoing title) - General feeling I'm getting here is that a lot of people feel it has seen better days, has gotten tired and hackneyed lately.
      Green Hornet (Legacy) - A wide spectrum of opinions here, but a definite strong contingent are very unhappy with the book. I think just about everyone would agree that the title's best days are past, though.

Upcoming storylines:
      Red Sonja - Gets turned into a vampire. Long-time fans very unhappy and threatening to drop the book.
      Green Hornet - Gets turned into a zombie. Long-time fans very unhappy and threatening to drop the book.
      DE pull list: Will Eisner's The Spirit: The Corpse Makers, ERB's The Greatest Adventure, Green Hornet '66 Meets The Spirit, PSP: Herokillers, KISS/Vampirella, Mighty Mouse

Comment

Originally posted by positronic View Post

Upcoming storylines:
        Red Sonja - Gets turned into a vampire. Long-time fans very unhappy and threatening to drop the book.
        Green Hornet - Gets turned into a zombie. Long-time fans very unhappy and threatening to drop the book.
        So whats that tell you? We, the fans of Red, the ones that go out of our way month after month to support this book want fantasy stories, we want adventure, action, peril, threats, hell even vampires and zombies, but what we dont want, is Sonja being scooped up and dropped into multi genre crossovers and then coming out of the dumb crossovers as a vampire.

Now I wont drop the book cause shes a vampire, only because I dont want to ruin my perfect run I have. However Im in the UK and sales from the UK dont get counted towards books sold, and also I think my local comic book store has canceled Dynamite books as Im the only one that seems to buy them, and even then it was just Red books and Flash Gordon.

Well heres hoping we get some good old fashioned fantasy adventures under Gail, and Sonja gets a costume change.

Comment

Originally posted by themightyflip View Post
          Well heres hoping we get some good old fashioned fantasy adventures under Gail, and Sonja gets a costume change.
          I thought most people liked the steel bikini. Of course it's impractical and unrealistic, but it's traditional and it looks good on her, and after all this is a fantasy. I felt like that was one of the biggest mistakes Dynamite made at first with Vampirella, and after a suitable amount of time and lots of grumbling from readers, they relented and changed back to the traditional unrealistic outfit.
          Last edited by positronic; 04-18-2013, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Oh dont get me wrong, we love Sonja's bikini, but when Eric Tautman changed the outfit, no outrage, in fact it was praised. Personally Ive always loved Sonja's 80's blue outfit.

Comment

Oh dont get me wrong, we love Sonja's bikini, but when Eric Tautman changed the outfit, no outrage, in fact it was praised. Personally Ive always loved Sonja's 80's blue outfit.
              Trautman's run was great. And I would love for ol' Red's outfit to change depending on the situation.
              Examples
              - when sneaking across rooftops at nights, perhaps a solid black outfit with no metal (too avoid clinking sounds) other than a sword
              - when in the desert and it's 120 degrees, the chainmail bikini would make sense, seeing as to how sonja seems immune to sunburn and most weather. She would want to "dress comfortably to avoid sweating"
              - when at a bar trying to avoid attention, just plain clothes.

Comment

Eric did the sensible thing. His stories are before her arrival in Makkalet (Conan 23 & 24) so he has her in assorted outfits that link into that. On at least 1 occasion she was in the steel bikini, while in the desert, which goes along with brickbutler's suggestion of changing to meet the situation. That outfit, by the way, while appearing after Conan 24, has an origin story of sorts in "Death in Scarlet" by Crossplains Comics (too bad the other 2 installments didn't make it out). As for Marvel era outifits, they also gave us 2 variants of leather, 2 blue ones - not 1, and what I call the 'legionnaire' outfit which appeared in the later Savage Sword Sonja stories. It is in "Ring of Ikribu" which DE reprinted a while ago, for those of you who don't have the Marvel originals.

As for revving up the current RS title, the answer is easy. Give Eric the green light to mine the 30+ years of blank space in the Marvel tales, just like he did with RS 51-75. With his writing and Walter G's art we would be in Sonja heaven!

My feelings on the whole vampire bit are in my 'Seven Sonjas' topic. Let's just say I am not amused. If I controlled the Sonja IP the DE brass would be trying to explain to my lawyer why I should not pull the franchise rights from them.

Not read the crossover with Witchblade yet, so can't comment. Have a feeling I'll not be thrilled when I do. Have looked at Annual 4. Maybe DE is trying to totally tick off the entire Sonja community with their incredibly stupid decisions on story themes and execution. Speaking of executions...

To end on a positive note: A grand way to celebrate 40 years of Her Lovliness would be for some reprints of grand old tales. Even if it means negotiating with the folks at Black Horse.
                For starters: The Shadow of the Vulture, The Song of Red Sonja, Curse of the Undead Man, The Day of the Sword (how Sonja really got started), Red Sonja Quells the Song of the Siren, Tower of Blood, Of Flame and the Fiend, The Temple of Abomination (if not done already, and even if they have. The story is great and Dick Giordano's art is fabulous), Master of Shadows, and A War of Wizards. There are lots more, but this should do for now. Here's your summer reading list.

Comment

Originally posted by brickbutler View Post
                  I am very interested in your fan -fiction. copy and paste it to my message section?
                  It's living on another machine, but should be do-able. Warning you in advance. As you can tell by my sig I'm a C.S. Lewis fan, and that includes Narnia. Life has been busy for a while, so am not sure how far along I am with it, and have a vague memory of it being in two files. It may still be in Hyboria at this point, but she will eventually wind up in Narnia. Not exactly the one Lewis wrote of, as I have 4 additional novels that follow the career of Susan, picking up where he left off. The Narnia Red will wind up in is the Narnia of Her Imperial and Royal Majesty, Susan the Gentle of the Horn, High Queen of Narnia. And very much in need of Sonja's services thanks to an impending invasion by Calormen.

Her arrival is marked with an amusing scene. As she scrambles out of a patch of bushes (she falls into Narnia) she hears someone speaking to her, but there's not a person in sight. Only a very unhappy woodchuck.

Comment

Working...
                  X