Something that annoys me in Red Sonja

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something that annoys me in Red Sonja

I am not sure if it is only me, bt something has been bugging me of late in the comics of Red Sonja. I have never been a trade paperback buyer - never will be. For somebody like me there is nothing more annoying that reading an issue of the comic with a reference to a past issue and is says something alog the lines of 'see vol.8 ...' REALLY annoying.

Yes, it should say this in the trade collection - but as a comic reader I want to know the issue is refers to. The book reference is useless. Please stop doing it, it doesn't take five minutes to alter it for the trade collection, and people what would appreciate the trade reference more.

Originally posted by Kloot View Post
    I am not sure if it is only me, bt something has been bugging me of late in the comics of Red Sonja. I have never been a trade paperback buyer - never will be. For somebody like me there is nothing more annoying that reading an issue of the comic with a reference to a past issue and is says something alog the lines of 'see vol.8 ...' REALLY annoying.

Yes, it should say this in the trade collection - but as a comic reader I want to know the issue is refers to. The book reference is useless. Please stop doing it, it doesn't take five minutes to alter it for the trade collection, and people what would appreciate the trade reference more.
    It's not just you, Kloot. I'm a comic reader as well, so I understand your feelings. I do have some trades, but they are for 1 of 2 reasons: a) backup in a separate location in case something dreadful happens to my comics, b) I somehow missed the individual issues but found the trade version on one of my infrequent shop visits (I live far away from one)

The other annoying thing on the trade bit is that story arcs seem to be more determined by trade size than what is needed to properly tell the story. With Sonja stories it's better to go a bit over than try to compress just to meet the eventual TPB size.

Comment

I concour!

I just picked up the "Death" TDB and it started off with a "remember back in issue..."- that was annoying. Now I feel like I am missing something valuable if I don't locate that issue or trade. I do agree from a storage/security issue they are great. I probably shouldn't complain too loudly; I picked it up for $8.99 at Half-Price books...btw...what's with the 'tied to a stake and menaced by a giant spider" cover???? That had nothing to do with the story....but it was cool!

Comment

Very few of the covers have anything to do with whats happening in the issue, and most issues came/come with any where between 2 to 7 variant covers, which vary between gruesome combat scenes, scenes of pure awesome (I'm looking at you Geovani thief cover) and cheesecake.

Comment

I've begun to notice that...I remember collecting in the 90's when a variant cover was a big deal. now it seems to be the norm, at least for Dynamite.

Comment

A lot of the smaller presses are variant happy. Dynamite and IDW regularly ship with multiple covers. I actually like it but it definitely creates a collector itch that I want to scratch sometimes. IDW managed to suck me in with X-Files and I've been collecting all the variants for that series.

Comment

Ran across this in Vampirella issue 32, the editorial note referenced Archive Vol. 3 when "way back in Warren #15" would have been easier to look up.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt_13M View Post
                Ran across this in Vampirella issue 32, the editorial note referenced Archive Vol. 3 when "way back in Warren #15" would have been easier to look up.
                Well in that instance it made sense, as Archive vol.3 was released by Dynamite. Sonja issues don't reference Marvel or Crossplains back issues.

Comment

Originally posted by themightyflip View Post
                  Well in that instance it made sense, as Archive vol.3 was released by Dynamite. Sonja issues don't reference Marvel or Crossplains back issues.
                  No. They reference the thing that was most recently made available on comic store shelves.

Comment

Originally posted by eric_trautmann View Post
                    No. They reference the thing that was most recently made available on comic store shelves.
                    Yes, but not all of us, particularly those who collect the monthlies, pick up the trades. Why would we? I don't need to buy the same story twice, so a note referring me back to a trade instead of to the relevant issue is absolutely useless to me.

Comment

Originally posted by tony ingram View Post
                      Yes, but not all of us, particularly those who collect the monthlies, pick up the trades. Why would we? I don't need to buy the same story twice, so a note referring me back to a trade instead of to the relevant issue is absolutely useless to me.
                      Whereas many people DO buy the trades, and making reference to the permanent editions also makes sense.

It may annoy you, and that's unfortunate, but until people stop buying trade paperbacks, it's also not likely to stop any time soon.

-E

Comment

Heaven forbid a sensible option of 'see Vol 3/ Iss 11' could be used!!

Comment

That might be the best approach: "See issue x, reprinted in vol. y."

Comment

Working...
                          X