Fan suggestion on choosing artist and getting press

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan suggestion on choosing artist and getting press

Without a doubt Dynamite works with the best artist in the business, Dynamite usually pulls out big gun artist for launches of a new title, mini or cross over, I kind of wonder if that can sometimes backfire.

Certainly fans of Dynamite titles are intelligent and high caliber people, that goes without saying, but being a asshole I just assume the unitiated are simple people who have no appreciation for a good work.

Case in point. Mask #1, The entire event has been good, but #1 got super crazy good reviews, "interior paintings by Alex Ross" that was everywhere, and yes, the book is stunning, its beautiful no doubt about it. But people kept talking like well as long as this continues, how unrealistic is that, every issue can't have interior painted Alex Ross pages because it would have taken forever to publish the series, After Issue 1 the series get better and better, but "reviewers" (i'm on a reviewer hate kick today, see other posts) felt like they were owed more of Ross interior painting.

Since I will assume that people should not be given the benefit of the doubt, maybe it would better to save the big guns for later in the title. Any title, That way people don't get so hung up on the art, good art is awesome, its needed to tell a story, but "good" art is a subjective term.

For example take Heubert Khan Micheal, I think his art in Vampirella 27 and 28 was outstanding, each panel captured the atmosphere perfect and it told the story like it needed to be told. I think he is an example of interior art/story telling done right, of course anybody is free to disagree. But I digress, as good as he is, his style isn't going to get that same press the Ross's work does. What about Walter Geovani, That man is gold, His prophecy art was awesome, and judging by what I've seen from the new Sonja, he will be delivering the goods.

So Ross or another big gun does a first Issue or first arc, then leave, reviewers are so shell shocked by this that they focus on nothing but the new artist not being the former [insert big gun artist]. Its not fair to the title or the new artist. Quality of the Issue becomes secondary.

Masks #7 was my favorite Issue so far, better then #1, and its set the stage for an exciting conclusion, consider if Ross hadn't done the interiors of the first Issue, if reviewers and fans focused more on the awesome story it is rather then nothing but the art. Then, #8 could have been Interiors by Ross instead, A visually stunning conclusion to an exciting mini series.

I only speak for myself, and yes i'm being arrogant and judgmental, I'm just saying It might be better to save the super fancy art on titles for a little later, that way its a treat added to a good story, not the sole focus of everybody. Alex Ross is an amazing artist, however Masks is an amazing story without Alex Ross, I can't help but feel some people dropped off the title simply because they found out he wasn't doing all the issues, which is chickenshit, but thats the state of things I spose. I know DE doesn't get a lot of press time, and so they have to come out swinging, But the majority of advertising is done by fans, not critics, and I don't mean on the internet, its done by fans in comic stores.

Anyhow, I certainly am not trying to disparage Alex Ross, obviously his work speaks for itself.

Edit: Consider how much better Ross doing #8 would be from a sales pov too, Then it could have been advertised, him working his paint sorcery for the conclusion, it not only would have encouraged sales of that Issue, but some people who hadn't followed the story would buy other issues to be caught up for Ross's Interior Issue. I don't run a company though and I have a tendency to be a moron, this is just musing.
    Last edited by James; 05-31-2013, 10:54 PM.

It's all about sales.
    MANY people will pick up an Alex Ross painted interrior #1 book - even if they have no intention of getting issues 2-8 by a different artist.
    How many would pick up an Alex Ross #8 if they didn't get issues 1-7 by a different artist?... not many!

Comment

Originally posted by GreenHornet0415 View Post
      It's all about sales.
      MANY people will pick up an Alex Ross painted interrior #1 book - even if they have no intention of getting issues 2-8 by a different artist.
      How many would pick up an Alex Ross #8 if they didn't get issues 1-7 by a different artist?... not many!
      Yeah you are right, I guess I was thinking more about what I would do, If such big news were put out for a final Iissue of something only 8 Issues long, It very likely would get me to buy the whole set. but yeah realistically most people would not do that.

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
        Yeah you are right, I guess I was thinking more about what I would do, If such big news were put out for a final Iissue of something only 8 Issues long, It very likely would get me to buy the whole set. but yeah realistically most people would not do that.
        Even if a lot of people did what you said and picked up issues 1-7 after reading an Alex Ross #8, it wouldn't benefit Dynamite any since issues 1-7 would already be in the "back-issue" bin. It WOULD be good for the local comic stores!

Comment

In the main,I think i agree.
          But I,ve been knocked out by all the artwork in all the titles I,ve bought since discovering Dynamite books (by Accident).

But I,ll continue to worship at the feet of Mr.Ross,if he is doing a cover.I just love the guys work.
          So much so,that I,ve been buying all the stuff he,s done before for Marvel and DC.

But I,ll take a good story over who has donme the interiors any day of the week.

RALPH.

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
            I think you're certainly on the right track.

Imagine if Ross did a 4-issue arc of Green Hornet Legacy at some point. You might get a sales spike and hopefully retain some of that readership.

Bottom line, you're saying that the big guns don't always have to be applied to the first (or first few) issues of a title, and I think you're right.

Maybe a good way to introduce talented unknowns would be to have them do partial issues. Not the best example, but a book like Miss Fury, which takes place in two different eras, could have Ross do one time frame and your "rookie" do the other. Something like that. There are a number of ways to apply your idea.

Comment

Working...
            X