Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The LONE RANGER movie is awful...

So...Okay...THE LONE RANGER...

At about the two hour mark, the William Tell Overture kicks in and, suddenly...as if from out of NOWHERE...it becomes an awesome Lone Ranger movie.

But, by that point, you've already been sitting through two hours a truly awful Lone Ranger movie.

My completely unimportant two cents?

Disappointing. Utterly.

It has no idea what it wants to be. It's completely inconsistent in tone and feels very clearly cobbled together from multiple scripts (similar to INDY 4 in a way) and It's actually about a half hour too long. I usually don't say stuff like that because I LIKE movies being long...more bang for your buck...but this was unnecessarily wrong. Helena Bonham Carter's character could have been completely excised and it would not have made a difference.

There are MOMENTS, though, of greatness. From time to time. The final big train vs. train shootout chase thingee? Fantastic. Verbinski's usual visual grandeur? Awesome. Sweeping vistas. Wonderful period sets and costumes. Great stuff. Hans Zimmer's score? Great. Some "oom pah-pah, oom pah-pah" silliness during silly scenes, some similarities to PIRATES in instrumentation (dulcimer, mainly) but quite good, as to be expected by Zimmer. Armie Hammer's Ranger? AFTER he stops being a bumbling idiot? Fantastic. There's about 45 minutes of an incredible Lone Ranger movie in there.

But I so utterly abhorred what they...the writers...the director...the ACTOR...did to the character of Tonto that it's just...Jesus...

They had the opportunity to take back the character. To erase the negative ideas of who Tonto is...to get away from the "Me Tonto. Me ride'm with Ranger. Ranger Tonto's kemosabe. Tonto make'm big pow wow" bullshit and, in a WAY, they did...by making him a half insane slapstick comedy trope...by making him...well...Captain Jack Sparrow by way of Sam from BENNY AND JOON. In fact, the whole thing stinks so much of PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN that it very nearly feels like a rip-off. There's a decent back-story to Tonto, too. But he's made into

There's a framing sequence...with an elderly Tonto telling the story to a kid at a Wild West show in the thirties. I liked that and, it may have saved the movie a bit for me. Made Tonto the "unreliable narrator" kind of thing...like the storyteller in 300...as if the whole movie is one big exaggerated version of a real story. I could see that. It made me NOT hate every moment of it. I would be willing to give it another watch, actually, once it hits Netflix or something but, as it stands...just a complete...I can't even say "letdown" because it was so clear from the trailers that it was a mess.

The thing that pisses me off the most...and the reason I go on and on about it...is that the characters...the Lone Ranger and Tonto...are so iconic that they deserve to be in the public eye...to not be put on a shelf collecting dust. The comic proves they have legs, as characters. This movie pretty much destroys that (as far as the motion picture medium goes, anyway) and they're going to disappear and be forgotten for another couple of decades before someone else decides to give it a go. So sad. I love the Lone Ranger.

Someone needs to do justice to the masked man who brings justice.

all the negative reviews are discouraging. i'm gonna see it anyway. i can't help it. i love the characters and even if its awful i have to see it anyway.

Comment

Heard it was awful from multiple sources. Plan on seeing it when it comes to dvd. Im hoping all the negative reviews make it seem pretty good to me by the time I see it expecting it to be horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Son of Tarzan View Post
        all the negative reviews are discouraging. i'm gonna see it anyway. i can't help it. i love the characters and even if its awful i have to see it anyway.
        If you love the characters, stick to the comics.

Comment

Originally posted by LetsRollKato View Post

The thing that pisses me off the most...and the reason I go on and on about it...is that the characters...the Lone Ranger and Tonto...are so iconic that they deserve to be in the public eye...to not be put on a shelf collecting dust. The comic proves they have legs, as characters. This movie pretty much destroys that (as far as the motion picture medium goes, anyway) and they're going to disappear and be forgotten for another couple of decades before someone else decides to give it a go. So sad. I love the Lone Ranger.

Someone needs to do justice to the masked man who brings justice.
          I said the same thing about the Green Hornet movie when it came out.
          I think I'll pass on the Ranger.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenHornet0415 View Post
            I said the same thing about the Green Hornet movie when it came out.
            I think I'll pass on the Ranger.
            See, now, while I certainly would have preferred a more straight-faced take on the Hornet, I found myself enjoying the movie. I think it's because the chemistry between Britt and Kato was so good. The banter, etc. That's not there in LONE RANGER.

Comment

Movie remarks have been terrible. Look at what Burton & Depp did to Dark Shadows. It also was a movie that didn't know if it was meant to be a comedy, horror or just a farce. I think it made it as a farce. I enjoy watching the old reruns of the original Lone Ranger and will not attempt to see this movie as I still have nightmares from the train wreck the 2012 Dark Shadows was. Tho, I'm interested in know was Depp's Tonto good or part of the problem?

Comment

Well, Ron...that all depends...

Do you like Captain Jack Sparrow?

Because his Tonto is pretty much Captain Jack Sparrow.

Comment

Haven't seen it (not going to) but I'm getting the feeling that Depp is becoming pigeon holed and a one character guy. All his characters seem to be just a different take on the same basic character.

Saw the Green Hornet movie (turned out to be a private showing because of a snow storm). As long as you didn't go into it with a lot of expectaions it wasn't a bad movie with a lot of great moments and tips of the cap to various things (GH's original comic book look, trendle wanting to call him the bee etc.)
                  Last edited by Ghornet2; 07-08-2013, 10:15 PM.
                  Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                  Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                  http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

I liked his Captain Jack Sparrow, but all his recent characters seem to be Jack Sparrow all over again, except with white make-up. That's exactly how he portrayed Barnabas Collins in Dark Shadows. And what's with everything being a comedy? Depp seems to be turning into a 1 dimensional character and a majority of his films are turning out to be flops. Think he's going to become a has been.

Comment

I went and saw the film last night. First a brief history of the Ranger and I for those unfamiliar. I have been a fan of the character for as much of my almost 40 years as I can remember. I remember watching Clayton Moore (in reruns, of course) with my dad and both of my grandfathers. I had the Gabriel action figures in the '70s and loved the 1980s cartoon. When the character kind if vanished after the '81 movie, I moved on to other heroes, always with an affection for the masked man. In 2006, when the Dynamite comic series began, I came back to the character. I loved Dynamite's version and started listening to mp3s of the radio series, which at that point I had never heard. Since then, the radio Ranger has become "my" Ranger. Following the production of this film, I was prepared to hate it.

That said, I enjoyed the heck out of the movie. Is it "my" Ranger? No. Is it a fun movie? Absolutely. I have my nitpicks and wish it might have been done a bit straighter and adhered a little closer to the source material. Then again, I've seen/heard/read probably a dozen versions of the origins of these characters and each one is different (and most by Fran Striker). But when the William Tell Overture hit for the final battle, I was 6 years old again, watching Lone Ranger with my dad and playing with my action figures. It seems the "John Carter" comparison is apt - a really fun, exciting movie that no one went to the theater to see.
                      DECODER RING THEATRE
                      EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS
                      PROJECT SUPERPOWERS DATABASE
                      PUBLIC DOMAIN SUPER HEROES

Comment

Well, no...Because JOHN CARTER was good and had some integrity.

But, man, to each his own. If you enjoyed it, awesome. I thought it was a disaster.

Comment

I really enjoyed the movie. Could it have been better? Yup. But I still think it was a fun action, adventure movie.
                          And the last 20 minutes was awesome. Yeah, John Reid starts as a bit naive and foolish but by the end, he really is The Lone Ranger. He is brave and heroic.
                          To each their own of course, but I preferred it over the Green Hornet movie. Not that I had a problem with the comedy, just could not buy Seth Rogen as Green Hornet, and I'm actually a Seth Rogen fan!

Comment

And John Carter was an excellent movie!
                            Too bad no one went to see it.

Comment

Working...
                            X