Vampirella #30

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vampirella #30

Brandon Jerwa, I just can't help but feel you have found your stride! After you took over for Trautman I just felt that for a while you didn't have a direction or feel you wanted to take. And thats nothing against you! Vampirella is a hard title to do, and comming in after issue 21 makes it harder.

#26 was when I was like "by George...hes doing it!" and having just finished issue 30, there is no doubt in my mind that not only can you write a good Vampirella, you are THE MAN for the job. Any work will have detractors (by and large comic fans are terrible people...) But this has been a good time.

Your doing it all man, supernatural, sci-fi, action, your adding some seriously nice humor too, Hopper for example, and in #30 i laughed so hard, "The Jetsons!! haha, far out"

most importantly You've humanized Vampirella, Trautman is a great writer and definately a hard worker, but I felt detached from his Vampirella too. I like yours I like her and Criswell's Dialogue together, it adds those nice mush subtones without taking away from the action.

30 also included the most absolutely awesome depiction of Pantha that I have EVER seen, her time was somewhat short, but she managed to be her own character..not just "diet Vampirella".I can tell you are using each issue to work on many different plot points. In modern comics a lot of people frown on that...I don't know why. Writing like this reminds me of my youth reading Claremont's Uncanny X-men, depth. Looking forward to the future man!

I would be remiss if I did not point out that this issue had some seriously slick interior art, Berkenkotter and Gonzalez crafted some true art here. The feel of it is hard to explain, its got both a new and retro feel (idk I said it was hard) and wonderful depth.

For Cover art, you'd be hard pressed to ever find complaints about either Paul Renaud or Fabiano Neves, but honestly, Here recently I have so loved the covers by Lucio Parillo!

Is he new to the industry? before his Vamp stuff I had never seen him. Anyhow, his covers are amazing, dark, gory, polished, sexy..magic? Good stuff all around.

Originally posted by James View Post
    (by and large comic fans are terrible people...) But this has been a good time.
    "Terrible people?!" I guess that ensures any replies will be positive!

I agree the stories have been getting better. One thing I liked about the Warren Vampi is that she was a vampire-like alien, not a vampire, so writers could easily work-in a sci-fi component. I just hope the writer can deliver on all the mysterious elements he's been feeding us. These have been building for several issues now and it will flip from intriguing to tiresome if there isn't some resolution soon. Actually, you can trace this stuff back to the Morrison-Miller days, all that white bishop-black bishop time travel crap that Harris basically dropped with no closure (that I can remember). Maybe Mr. Jerwa can finally let us know what that was all about.

Speaking of terrible though... I generally love Parillo's covers, both for Vampirella and Red Sonja, but the barbed-hook torture cover for Vampirella was out-of-bounds as far as I'm concerned. I found it both disturbing and disgusting. This was one of the few times I'm glad Dynamite doesn't match the cover to the interior content!

Comment

Originally posted by rlvaugh View Post

Speaking of terrible though... I generally love Parillo's covers, both for Vampirella and Red Sonja, but the barbed-hook torture cover for Vampirella was out-of-bounds as far as I'm concerned. I found it both disturbing and disgusting. This was one of the few times I'm glad Dynamite doesn't match the cover to the interior content!
      But, but, but, it netted Vampirella 10 new guro fans. Diversification is the mother of profit. Any softvore planned, Dynamite?
      And DON'T google "Vampirella" "guro".

(Oh, BTW, I second your reservations about the arc - to reiterate, Warren fans were already getting nervous when a story went over 3 issues.)

Comment

"Terrible people?!" I guess that ensures any replies will be positive!
        Heh, I keep assuming when I write things like that that it will be obvious to people that i'm being a smartass for the sake of being a smartass. Thats my fault, none of you guys know me and text isn't good for conveying _how_ you are saying something.

Nonetheless, I did say it for a reason, I seem to notice a lot of negativity on forums, not just here, CBR is...man, just dark sometimes. To read post here for example there are some members, who judging by the dozens if not hundreds of posts of them I've read, just don't like anything...period. I mean i'm guessing they are still buying the comics, they just don't like any of them..or the creators. Their right.

Also I do think a writer or artist should be able to deal with realistic/constructive criticism from the fans that keep them employed, most can, a few can't (hint: BRIAN WOOD!).

It just starts to bother me a great deal when I see people here or CBR who are actually part of the creative team making these titles. They take time out of their lives to reach out to their fans via the wonder of the internet. I fully believe most of them understand that there will be people who don't like their work, or don't like all of it. I, however, don't believe they understand that generally they are walking into a titty flopping shit storm of negativity that accomplishes nothing. Interestingly this phenomenon is pretty limited to the internet, don't hear it a whole lot in the stores, and I doubt somebody is going to wait in line at a con just to tell somebody that they have bought HUNDREDS of comics that person has written or drawn..and they all SUCKED!!

See I didn't know Parillo had done Sonja covers, I'm just now getting into that title with the launch of Simones Sonja, As far as his Vampi covers..well, different strokes for different folks i 'spose.
        You found it disturbing and disgusting....I found it disturbing and disgustingly sexy..but..I'm a terrible person.

Comment

...*SNIP*... I just hope the writer can deliver on all the mysterious elements he's been feeding us. These have been building for several issues now and it will flip from intriguing to tiresome if there isn't some resolution soon...*SNIP*
          I believe he can, and also believe he can do it well. What I have substantially less faith in though is the attention span of many readers. If that makes me sound like an asshole, oh well.

I can certainly understand not wanting every single issue introducing new plot elements every issue without working towards a resolution of the old plot elements (even Claremont was guilty of that).

However it seems if the story involves the same "problem" for then 2 issues people just..idk, I'm not even talking about you...or Vampirella...or Dynamite, I "hear" it alot with the stuff I read from Marvel and DC too.
          I guess the "culture" of comics these days is that readers want each issue to be a neatly encapsulated story by itself. Sort of hard to do with 22 pages on a 1 month deadline.

I'm fine with the same plot elements not being resolved for a while as long as the writer is _building_ on them, making it more nuanced, revealing good information, developing the characters.
          Novels are a different ballgame I know, But I would compare the stuff that people like Claremont, Simon Spurrier, Reppion & Moore and B.M.Bendis with authors like Stephen King or Robert Jordan.

Lord, I read both the Dark Tower and the Wheel of time series for frigging YEARS before their was a resolution, And Jordans books especially would commonly be around 1000 pages, I loved that stuff, the writers were taking their time to flesh out the worlds, cultures and characters they were righting about.
          In the biz they are known as "good writers".

However, it seems fans want the comic book equivalent of a Dean Koontz book. Something that is mildly entertaining, maybe even has some great concepts and sequences, but completely lacking in substance. Something you chew through on a slow afternoon and then say "well...alright" and you never think of it again.

Now, perhaps i've become cynical at the ripe old age of 29, maybe i'm..no, I am being judgemental, but I just hear the same types of stuff. Now, i'm just one voice in a sea of many, by all means, give the people what they want! I'll just never understand it.

I'd rather Jerwa, or ANY writer for ANY title, take a year to finish an arc, one that just grows on you, pulls you in and becomes awesome, then have a title that is month after month of mildly entertaining stories about people i've never grown to care about , in a world I don't care about.

Comment

heh Thinking about the Dark Tower got me to thinking about the Dark Tower comics To read those comics (if you hadn't read the books) you would think the entire Series is summed up as "Clint Eastwood walks around wasteland...occasionally looks at something".."Next Month: Clint Eastwood walks around a wasteland, then asks an innkeeper if she has any salt!!!"

Its terrible..and it shouldn't be, the various writers have the right idea, a big part of the Dark Tower series, especially the first half, is this ever present and powerful sense of Isolation that Roland feels, and the complete desolation of the world in which he lives. So he doesn't talk alot.

However, he does think a lot. he thinks about things constantly. The comics tend to leave out those all important thought bubbles. I mean, I guess they might be saying well "he in fact _doesn't_ talk much..i suppose we could write all of his many thoughts, self-reflections and regrets he is always dwelling on..but..thats probably too many plot points."

Your left with 22 pages of, actually some really, really nice art, but with only a few lines of dialogue. Its an injustice to the series and comics lol. But it DOES make money, I mean, how could it not, it has great art like I said, Its an adaptation of one of the most famous series in the world, written by one the most famous authors in the world, and published by the biggest comic publisher in the world.

They would have to actively try to loose money on it..know matter how bad it is.

Comment

You (everyone) should try Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Chronicles (starting with "The Last Kingdom"). These are the most immensely enjoyable books I have read in years.

This guy gets everything right.

Comment

You (everyone) should try Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Chronicles (starting with "The Last Kingdom"). These are the most immensely enjoyable books I have read in years.

This guy gets everything right.
                i'll put that in my mental queue, I'm currently working through the malazan books.

Comment

Working...
                X