Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Sonja #1 review

Red Sonja #1 review, by Gail Simone and Walter Geovani
    I give it a 9 out of 10! Great start, I am very interested in reading the next issue, Walter's art was excellent, the dialogue flowed well, and The cover selection was awesome.
    We did get the typical fantasy "sidekick" characters, and even though it is very cliche' I do not feel that it hurt the story. The comedy was also a welcome addition to a red sonja comic.

The only thing I could take off a point for, was that in the last panel, when Dark Annisia showed up, it was hard to care. I understand that we got a glimpse of her at the beginning, and since only Annisia and Sonja survived the slave pits it naturally seems that they will both be badasses, but since we as the reader didnt get to spend anytime with Annisia, she didn't seem a threat. Hell, ol' red is already facing down an entire army.......how can this one chick be any more dangerous?
    Unless gail simone throws the story a curve ball and Sonja and Annisia are actually loyal friends, or at least have a mutual "I won't kill you and you won't kill me" type thing.

But otherwise it was a great start. Walter's credit as a writer on the inside cover was probably a typo, but I laughed anyways.

I really hope we get a flashback about Sonja and Annisia's days in the slave pits/dungeon/arena. Also, I hope we get some back story on King Dimath. He seems interesting.

Thank You, Gail Simone, Walter Geovani, and the staff at Dynamite for giving us this issue. Now please give us dozens more.

Have to agree. This was a wonderful issue. I loved how Red Sonja was portrayed.
    Also, I think Walter Geovani has become THE Red Sonja artist. No one draws her as beautiful or as dangerous looking as he does.
    And I could not decide on A cover, so I bought the six different covers. I don't usually do this, but I made an exception this time.

Comment

I hope we get more than just a flashback of Sonja’s and Annisia’s days as slaves. It seems like an untapped reservoir of material just waiting to be developed. This could be a separate Red Sonja series, full of character development for the 80 prisoners forced into slave labor and arena battle.

Favorite line: “Oh, she of the excellent cleavage”
      Spoken by a female character made it all the better.

The off beat language in the beginning was a good idea in portraying an unfamiliar culture in a far away land. Except for the repeated use of “ain’t”. That just brought me back to reality. But the real question is what happened? The off beat language was prominent on page 2. Then it started fading away. And after the first arc of the story, it just disappeared. It should either be used consistently or not at all.

I did think Sonja’s attitude was excellent. Not kneeling before a king and calling him by just his name absent title.

I would suggest to the writer, artist, letterer, or editor (whoever’s fault) to pay a little more attention to the script.

“Wash my boots (plural)”- But only one boot needed washing. Only one boot was taken off by Red Sonja.

“Perhaps a soldier (singular) will trip and impale themselves (plural).”
      Last edited by Denny; 07-19-2013, 11:07 PM.

Comment

I didn't read all of the review because I didn't want to spoil anything, but I'm glad the consensus is that it was a good issue, I'm going to the comic store today to pick it up with the rest of my stuff.

Can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by brickbutler View Post
          Red Sonja #1 review, by Gail Simone and Walter Geovani
          I give it a 9 out of 10! Great start, I am very interested in reading the next issue

1.) Walter's art was excellent, the dialogue flowed well, and The cover selection was awesome...*SNIP*

2.) The only thing I could take off a point for, was that in the last panel, when Dark Annisia showed up, it was hard to care. I understand that we got a glimpse of her at the beginning, and since only Annisia and Sonja survived the slave pits it naturally seems that they will both be badasses, but since we as the reader didnt get to spend anytime with Annisia, she didn't seem a threat...*SNIP*....
          I really hope we get a flashback about Sonja and Annisia's days in the slave pits/dungeon/arena. Also, I hope we get some back story on King Dimath. He seems interesting.

3.) Thank You, Gail Simone, Walter Geovani, and the staff at Dynamite for giving us this issue. Now please give us dozens more.
          1.) Walter Geovani is amazing, this is one of the best looking comic interiors i've seen in a very long time, I would say Adriano Lucas deserves his own shout out for his excellent colors. As far as the story I thought it flowed wonderfully too.

2.) uhh, generally this would usually be the type of thing I would agree with you on, but considering that its just the first issue, I mean Gail and Walter did a lot with this issue #1, but there is only so much space. It was a good cliffhanger in my opinion.

3. Yes, thanks to Gail, Walt, Adriano and Simon (that guy letters like 500 books a month), and DE for allowing this to happen..a piece of advice/warning though...
          DON'T DROP THE BALL! Whatever you have to do to keep Gail and Walt as the team on this book, then just do it!

Originally posted by cdarlage View Post
          ...*SNIP*...
          4.) I loved how Red Sonja was portrayed.
          Also, I think Walter Geovani has become THE Red Sonja artist. No one draws her as beautiful or as dangerous looking as he does...*SNIP*
          4.) I couldn't agree more! Not only is he just a all around superb artist but he can vary his style when needed even from page to page.

I mean consider the dungeon scene, already dark, and then that final panel on pg 5. That unsettling and dangerous look in her eyes as she says "My name. Is. Red Sonja" (that panel gets extra epic-points)

Just a few pages later he makes subtle changes in his style to depict the menacing but somehow still buffoonish (and clearly outmatched) bandits.

Then follows it up by changing it up slightly again to depict Sonja's "bodyguards" His depiction of them and Gail's dialogue combined so that you instantly knew these girls were both comic relief, and also seriously out of their depth lol.

Originally posted by Denny View Post
          5.) Favorite line: “Oh, she of the excellent cleavage”
          Spoken by a female character made it all the better.

6.)...*SNIP*... But the real question is what happened? The off beat language was prominent on page 2. Then it started fading away. And after the first arc of the story, it just disappeared. It should either be used consistently or not at all...*SNIP*...
          5.) haha yeah that was great, her "bodyguards" were hilarious. I also really liked "Will this help with Her Radiant Ladyship's Hangover?"

6.) I'm going to respectfully, but strongly, disagree with you there. If It was either used all the time , or not at all then it would make all the characters much less believable. The speech on the pages, in my opinion, varied PERFECTLY with the character, situation and context.

The sycophantic soldier isn't going to speak like his king. Bandits will talk differently then soldiers serving a cause they find noble. Her bodyguards are clearly starstruck, And Sonja herself is going to speak differently depending on if she is drunk in the woods or preparing for a loosing battle to help a King who saved her life and, more importantly (as she puts it) her dignity.

I had high expectations for this issue and it surpassed them in every way. Gail Simone promised a Red Sonja who would be many things, and with Walter's excellent interiors I would say that promise was fulfilled in spades. She is sexy without being a parody, deadly without being a machine, she has a strong sense of honor without being arrogant and she can drink and be funny without being an ass. I already really like her.

excellent work and I can't wait for the next issue. I do have one complaint though...
          my comic store ran out of the issue, I only had one because they put one in my folder as soon as it came in (as per my order). I love the main cover by Nicola Scott, don't get me wrong, its great.

But..Idk, since the first previews started coming out I've just had a serious hankerin' for the Fiona Staples cover..it just..man It just speaks to me on some deep primal level..guess i'll have to wait for more!

Comment

[QUOTE=James;29478]
            I mean consider the dungeon scene, already dark, and then that final panel on pg 5. That unsettling and dangerous look in her eyes as she says "My name. Is. Red Sonja" (that panel gets extra epic-points)

QUOTE]

One of my favorite scenes from this issue. Was kind of shocked it was Sonja.

Comment

It was good. It had Gail's patented thrifty dialogue. But I still didn't gather Red Sonja's voice yet.

Gail is good at nailing the voice of character. For me it may take another issue.

Good start though. Guess I'm back on board.

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                The sycophantic soldier isn't going to speak like his king ...
                Originally posted by James View Post
                The speech on the pages, in my opinion, varied PERFECTLY with the character, situation and context.
                I had previously considered those scenarios. I even entertained the idea that the soldier may be a scholar in literature or may have been from another country before coming under the service of the king. But here’s why the premise is not workable. Inconsistency.

On page 5, he says, “Maybe they tongues is cut.”
                He used ‘they’ like we would use ‘their’

And in the very next panel, this exact same person says, “I can’t bear their eyes.”
                ‘Their’ eyes? Why not ‘they’ eyes?

There was no change in character, situation, or context between the two panels.
                The circumstance and environment were constant as well as the speaker.
                Nothing changed in this setting. These two panels represent a continuity, except there’s no consistency.
                This makes it appear like the character’s speech personality was not well planned or executed.

Another example of inconsistency can be seen with the artwork depicting the 3 thieves. Two of them wear pullover shirts , and the third wears a shirt like an open vest. Except on page 7 panel 2 where we now have two thieves wearing an open vest, only to revert back to a pullover shirt later for the thief that Sonja doesn't kill.

Comment

Well, Denny, I guess you wont be buying issue 2.

Comment

Originally posted by estee View Post
                    Well, Denny, I guess you wont be buying issue 2.
                    Well, estee, the title of this thread is "Red Sonja #1 review"

Not whether or not I'll be buying issue 2.
                    Last edited by Denny; 07-23-2013, 05:11 PM.

Comment

I liked the first issue, but something was off with the artwork and colouring.

I was also confused by the time skipping, I actually thought at first the story was building up to how Sonja ended up in the cell, it wasnt until I got to the end and then re-read it that I realized the cell scene was in the past. But that's my own fault for reading to damn fast rather than a reflection on the comic itself.

Comment

Red Sonja #1 review

I was really intrigued...dying to know how she ended up in the cell, and how this classic fight of citizens presssed into soldiers will hold up against this mighty army...obviously, they lose, but it's going to be epic. I thought the writing and art were good, not spectacular, except the last few pages. I got variat cover D and was pleased.

Comment

I was pleased as well...there seems to be a lot of room for backstory...I loved Walter's art & am hoping to see more of it in future issues.

Comment

Working...
                          X