Lady Rawhide #1 in stores today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady Rawhide #1 in stores today

Some / most of you are probably already aware but: Lady Rawhide: Sisters of the White Rose #1 hit store shelves today. It's the first of a 5-issue limited series, written by me and drawn by Milton Estevam. It's a swashbucklin' Western in the Zorro tradition, so I hope you'll give it a look.

Previews are already available—this one is on Comic Book Resources—and initial response seems positive.

Thanks!

-E

A very good start. We get backround on Lady Rawhide for new comers (I'm not), set up for the future and plenty of action. While it was a little wordy with a lot of narrative, that was really the only way to get LR's back story out there. The art was nice except her hair sometimes was more brown than red. Ocer all I'd say an A/A-. As I said, a very good start.
    Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
    Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
    http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Not sure how I missed it....

I had it on my calendar for the 21st...I'll be sure to pick it up. I was a big fan from the get-go in the 90's and was so upset when image never finished "Other People's Blood"...any chance that might get picked up?

Comment

Effing Brilliant

This was without a doubt the best #1 for anything Dynamite has done. It was, well, dynamite! The narrative was well done (though I had trouble reading the text boxes - please change the font and background color in the future) and great character development. Eric preserved all the vital origin elements from the original and managed to improve on them. And the art was sensational! I normally can't stand that computerized color look but it works to great effect here. I remember the early '90s Topps LR fondly and this is truly an improvement on the original. What a pleasant surprise. The only downside is that it is a limited series. I can understand why. Both the Topps LR and Zorro were good but suffered from what must have been a claustrophobic condition for writers -- isolated on a sparsely-settled California coast, no chance for magic or super villains or other typical comic extravagances, realistic storylines that ultimately have to collapse under their own constraints...nevertheless, it's a nice ride while it lasts. I think Eric has translated the story into later, more populated times, so this should help with idea generation. Muy magnifico! Mil gracias!

Comment

HOLY COW I can't believe one of my suggestions became real. I had several months ago suggested Lady Raw Hide as something Dynamite could reproduce or create a new era for this series. Awesome

Comment

Relocation decision

So Eric, if you're reading this, what made you decide to relocate Lady Rawhide to Cuyutlan? Both she and Zorro were Californians in the earlier comics. I'm not complaining, I'm just curious as to why you went so far down the coast.

Comment

Blown away by issue 1

Just picked up issue 1 from a little store I found hidden behind a collison shop and a Star Trek fan shop!!!! I just leaved thru it when I got back to work (I actually took a lunch out so I go run & get it) and had to read it there in the parking lot....WHOA! Talk about throwing you in the middle of the action! I thought the art was great, and the story intriguing, and I am anxious to meet the vigilantes in issue 2 face to face...make me want to be a bad guy so I can meet up with the Lady!

Comment

Comic Shop by the Star Trek Store???

"Just picked up issue 1 from a little store I found hidden behind a collison shop and a Star Trek fan shop!!!! "

Do you mean Moore Comics in Westerville, OH? I haven't been there in a couple of years! I'll have to go pay them a visit.

Comment

Moore comics!

YES! That's the place! It's a neat little place. I usually go to Laughing Ogre in Clintonville or Comictown in Northland...I'll send you a private message....wow, someone local

Comment

Originally posted by rlvaugh View Post
                    So Eric, if you're reading this, what made you decide to relocate Lady Rawhide to Cuyutlan? Both she and Zorro were Californians in the earlier comics. I'm not complaining, I'm just curious as to why you went so far down the coast.
                    For variety more than anything else. I liked the idea of over time, Lady Rawhide drifting south, and it opened up some storytelling possibilities I found intriguing (and specifically for sequels, if that ends up happening).

-E

Comment

Ok, I just picked this one up based on the strength of Eric Trautmann's run on Red Sonja which I just finished. I found it to be a great set of adventure stories that gave Sonja something she badly needed, a quality supporting cast. So here's some thoughts on Lady Rawhide... [warning SOME VAGUE SPOILERS AHEAD]

Eric, you are literally the only comic book writer that has done narration boxes to my liking. An issue I have with older comics is tedious narration that doesn't allow natural dialogue or the art to convey the story. You, on the other hand, write narration excellently. I was impressed in Red Sonja at the page one splashes that brought us up to speed and I was pleased to see a similar style for Lady Rawhide's first page. It gets you in the story without some of the goofiness in a certain Big Two's summary pages. The narration here is balanced very well with the art (don't know how much of that was you and how much was excellent intuition by Milton) and never seems tedious.

I find your description of it as a Zorro-style adventure very apt. I saw the influence. I'm a huge fan of the old Disney TV series, so I found this to be pretty exciting. It was a very good adventure story and read well as a single issue. I'm very intrigued by the band of lady bandits and hope to see more of the story from their perspective. I also liked the feared and mistrusted Robin Hood angle you're working with Lady Rawhide herself. At first I was kind of disappointed that your Red Sonja came to an end (even though I'm a total Gail Simone fanboy) but after reading this issue, I am pretty excited to see you working in a different era with a different kind of protagonist.

Comment

Originally posted by Algus View Post
                        Ok, I just picked this one up based on the strength of Eric Trautmann's run on Red Sonja which I just finished. I found it to be a great set of adventure stories that gave Sonja something she badly needed, a quality supporting cast. So here's some thoughts on Lady Rawhide... [warning SOME VAGUE SPOILERS AHEAD]

Eric, you are literally the only comic book writer that has done narration boxes to my liking. An issue I have with older comics is tedious narration that doesn't allow natural dialogue or the art to convey the story. You, on the other hand, write narration excellently. I was impressed in Red Sonja at the page one splashes that brought us up to speed and I was pleased to see a similar style for Lady Rawhide's first page. It gets you in the story without some of the goofiness in a certain Big Two's summary pages. The narration here is balanced very well with the art (don't know how much of that was you and how much was excellent intuition by Milton) and never seems tedious.

I find your description of it as a Zorro-style adventure very apt. I saw the influence. I'm a huge fan of the old Disney TV series, so I found this to be pretty exciting. It was a very good adventure story and read well as a single issue. I'm very intrigued by the band of lady bandits and hope to see more of the story from their perspective. I also liked the feared and mistrusted Robin Hood angle you're working with Lady Rawhide herself. At first I was kind of disappointed that your Red Sonja came to an end (even though I'm a total Gail Simone fanboy) but after reading this issue, I am pretty excited to see you working in a different era with a different kind of protagonist.
                        I'm pleased you liked it.

I'm a sucker for narrative captions—generally, that's the stuff in my work that's most often criticized harshly, alas—and work really hard to use them in conjunction with the art. For Vampirella, there was a specific tone I wanted—a mix of hard-boiled, Raymond Chandler-style narration with some amped-up weirdness thrown in; for Sonja, it was all about those great Roy Thomas "Nemedian Chronicle"-style passages. On Lady Rawhide, I want to be able to use the "voice" of an old-timey Western dime novel, which is just SO much fun to write. Happy to hear that they worked for you.

Thanks!

-E

Comment

Writing good captions is hard. Fitting them into the art is probably even harder. Both well done here. Now for the really important stuff: when are we gonna see "Lady Rawhide #2 in stores today." Tired of waiting!

Comment

Working...
                          X