Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Merchandising???? Question for Dynamite staffers.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merchandising???? Question for Dynamite staffers.

Has Dynamite ever thought of using Cafepress or Zazzle to merchandise their characters? Marvel, DC, Star Trek, Big Bang Theory, Peanuts...a number of top licenses do...I am going to for a tarot deck I am co-creating...I'd love to have an 'official' Red Sonja coffee mug or Lady Rawhide sweatshirt (or pillow!)...I did find some fan art Red stuff, put, obviously, it's not the real thing....any plans to merchadise in the works with these venues, or others?

And we need an official Red Sonja video game. Even if it was just a simple jrpg or hack n slash for android/i-phone.

Comment

I always pretend Tyris Flare in Golden Axe Beastrider is ole Red. Closest we will ever get!

Comment

Originally posted by Redsonjalover View Post
        Has Dynamite ever thought of using Cafepress or Zazzle to merchandise their characters? Marvel, DC, Star Trek, Big Bang Theory, Peanuts...a number of top licenses do...I am going to for a tarot deck I am co-creating...I'd love to have an 'official' Red Sonja coffee mug or Lady Rawhide sweatshirt (or pillow!)...I did find some fan art Red stuff, put, obviously, it's not the real thing....any plans to merchadise in the works with these venues, or others?
        I am neither a Dynamite staffer, nor speaking for the company; however, my background is in licensing. The stuff you're talking about would be a separate license beyond the one for comics. DE might get exclusions to create merch for promotional purposes (i.e. not for sale), but that would vary from license to license.

-E

Comment

I think what Eric is talking about is that these are characters that Dynamite Entertainment itself does not own outright. They are just licensing them from the actual owners for the purpose of selling comic books, and that license does not extend to merchandise. However, the suggestion would still be a viable one for characters that Dynamite does own (Vampirella, Evil Ernie, Project Superpowers... I think?)

Now that I think of it, there were a number of DE-based trading card sets... I wonder exactly how that worked? I know there was a Red Sonja card set. Warlord of Mars is public domain, would that be fair game for merchandising? Although perhaps DE might not want to incur the further ire of ERB, Inc.
          Last edited by pulphero; 08-17-2013, 03:06 PM.

Comment

That would, I think, be an issue, yes. If I'm Toy Company X, why would I pay money to Dynamite to produce toys based on characters in the public domain (which, theoretically, could end up competing with Toy Company Y's products that mine the same public domain source)?

Licensing is weird.

(That said, I'd LOVE to see a Hot Toys' style, high-end 1:6th scale figure of Vampirella--with multiple costume options, a la the Hot Toys Indiana Jones fig. I would love that a lot.)

-E

Comment

Hi, Eric. I think Redsonjalover mentioned Cafepress and Zazzle specifically because they are sort of the "Manufactured on Demand" equivalent of print-on-demand books (i.e. they aren't companies that "license" anything per se -- they are providing a service for the owner (similar to amazon's CreateSpace or Lulu.com) of the images that they reproduce on various merchadise, as long as the provider of those images legitimately owns them, it's not an issue). With regards to the question of Red Sonja images on Cafepress or Zazzle merchandise, even though the images were created by DE, they are actually owned by Red Sonja LLC, so it would be up to them to set up a Cafepress or Zazzle account to manage the selling of coffee mugs, t-shirts, and mousepads.

I don't think PD stuff would be an issue either. In fact, IIRC, I've already seen various people out there exploiting PD stuff (various PD Golden Age comic book, vintage pulp and paperback cover images) on coffee mugs, t-shirts, calendars, and mousepads. Not sure if it was through Cafepress or Zazzle, or just some similar service for reproducing generic merchandise with specific images. Let's say Black Terror is a public domain character, I could reproduce Golden Age Black Terror comic book covers on a coffee mug or mouse pad, but not, say, an Alex Ross image of BT created and owned by Dynamite. But Dynamite could do that themselves. It's up to the consumer to choose whether he'd rather have an Alex Ross Black Terror coffee mug or one produced by someone else using a public domain cover image.
              Last edited by pulphero; 08-18-2013, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X