Chronicles of Riddick license?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chronicles of Riddick license?

With the new movie coming out, now is a good time for Dynamite to obtain the Riddick license....

I think he would fit in well with your pulp line...

See this video I made to show his connection to the pulp heroes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HZw_FM3gnM

I'd subscribe.

Comment

With a new movie incipient, and the production lead time required for a comic book to be timed to be available to take advantage of the movie publicity and audience awareness, these type of deals need to be worked out months in advance. Dynamite has usually been WELL ahead of the curve on movie properties like Green Hornet, Lone Ranger, Dark Shadows, etc. So I'd say if they didn't already announce it by this point, the window of opportunity has probably passed. Or maybe Dynamite already tried to get the license, and missed it.

Not really seeing the "pulp" aspect of Riddick (any more than any other SF/action franchise), but that's neither here nor there. Seems like something that would fit the general parameters of DE's line.
      Last edited by pulphero; 09-03-2013, 05:54 PM.

Comment

i'd read a Riddick comic. you could do all kinds of different stories in that universe.

Comment

Any Riddick comic would HAVE to be better than the movies.

Good LORD...

Comment

I really do see the connection between Riddick and pulp heroes, and its no surprise to read on teh DVD extras that Vin Diesel was inspired by the works of Frank Frazetta concerning his input on the projects.

riddick is a lot like a ... dark version of a hero like flash gordon, or buck rogers, traveling to different worlds and fighting new and itneresting creatures whilst having a deep mythology surrounding him.

A riddick comic owuld be great... especially if they did a water or swamp world, and involved the Rykengolls.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
              With a new movie incipient, and the production lead time required for a comic book to be timed to be available to take advantage of the movie publicity and audience awareness, these type of deals need to be worked out months in advance. Dynamite has usually been WELL ahead of the curve on movie properties like Green Hornet, Lone Ranger, Dark Shadows, etc. So I'd say if they didn't already announce it by this point, the window of opportunity has probably passed. Or maybe Dynamite already tried to get the license, and missed it.
              The Riddick series tends to come out every few years, so I could see them wanting another project to come out in between.

Not really seeing the "pulp" aspect of Riddick (any more than any other SF/action franchise), but that's neither here nor there. Seems like something that would fit the general parameters of DE's line.
              Check out my YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HZw_FM3gnM

I think I make my case fairly well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralok View Post
                I really do see the connection between Riddick and pulp heroes, and its no surprise to read on teh DVD extras that Vin Diesel was inspired by the works of Frank Frazetta concerning his input on the projects.

riddick is a lot like a ... dark version of a hero like flash gordon, or buck rogers, traveling to different worlds and fighting new and itneresting creatures whilst having a deep mythology surrounding him.

A riddick comic owuld be great... especially if they did a water or swamp world, and involved the Rykengolls.
                Plus, there is already a built in interest for artists. To promote the upcoming movie, they did two art contests. One was for the actual movie poster that would be used at Regal Cinema locations and the other was at Deviant Art.

http://www.regmovies.com/MyRiddickPoster

http://moonbeam13.deviantart.com/jou...test-385949865

A lot of good entries.

Comment

Riddick would be a great comic--violent, controversial (protagonist is a "bad guy"--that dark Flash Gordon approach), and special effects would be limited only by the artist's imagination (someone suggested a water planet for example for a site of an adventure). Maybe it could fill the spot until the next Riddick film?

Comment

i would be interested but very worried that the comic would not fit with the character unless David Twohy is involved. I can easily forsee 99% of writers making Riddick a "generic edgey anti-hero" as he was portrayed in the 2004 live action film. The last thing i want is for Riddick to become the punisher in space. Man that would suck. Riddick is, at his core, a very bad man who sometimes does good things if it benefits him in the process. I have always felt that Riddick should be kept closer to the line of "straight up villain" and farther from the "anti-hero" line.

And yes, I understand that he has character progression over Pitch Black, Dark Fury, and Chronicles, and even some in the games, but I believe a comic based on his early years as a villain would be best.

Comment

Originally posted by brickbutler View Post
                      i would be interested but very worried that the comic would not fit with the character unless David Twohy is involved. I can easily forsee 99% of writers making Riddick a "generic edgey anti-hero" as he was portrayed in the 2004 live action film. The last thing i want is for Riddick to become the punisher in space. Man that would suck. Riddick is, at his core, a very bad man who sometimes does good things if it benefits him in the process. I have always felt that Riddick should be kept closer to the line of "straight up villain" and farther from the "anti-hero" line.

And yes, I understand that he has character progression over Pitch Black, Dark Fury, and Chronicles, and even some in the games, but I believe a comic based on his early years as a villain would be best.
                      isnt that an Anti-villain, a bad person that does good things anyways?

Comment

Saw the new movie last night, freaking loved it.

Check out my review if you are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFqo6IAkl6E

Comment

you know one of the more pulpy aspects of riddick... to me is the fact that he has a more "fixed" character, he doesnt really grow or change. But his personality, history, motives and everything else is revealed to us... which is something I feel is more typical of a pulp-era hero than a modern one. There is also "preferential weaponry" he has knives rather than cheezy looking pistols... but what I find striking adn pulpy is the lack of... named or iconic weapons.

while not in any sense universal amongst pulp heroes... they did tend to have a weapon style preference, but not a specific weapon they favored... like I said, some puplp heroes had named weapons, but it wasnt typical... and its definitly more typical these days.

Comment

The thing with Riddick is that anything is a weapon in his hands. He does seem to prefer a blade though.

Those knives he is always flashing in promo art (especially for the Dark Athena video game) are called ulaks. Other than that, yeah not really any named weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by PulpCrazy View Post
                              The thing with Riddick is that anything is a weapon in his hands. He does seem to prefer a blade though.

Those knives he is always flashing in promo art (especially for the Dark Athena video game) are called ulaks. Other than that, yeah not really any named weapons.
                              But that is just what the type of weapon is called, he didnt name them. Most modern heroes would get hung up on these baldes and name one "scorpions wrath" and "hornets lament" or something like that, and they would never use any other weapon, Riddick is varied and diversified in his approach to weaponry but he still has a preference in style, like a lot of classic pulp heroes.

Comment

Working...
                              X