Chronicles of Riddick license?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ralok View Post
    But that is just what the type of weapon is called, he didnt name them. Most modern heroes would get hung up on these baldes and name one "scorpions wrath" and "hornets lament" or something like that, and they would never use any other weapon, Riddick is varied and diversified in his approach to weaponry but he still has a preference in style, like a lot of classic pulp heroes.

Ah I gotcha. Yeah the only pulp hero that I can recall that named his weapons was the Avenger. Mike and Ike.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralok View Post
      you know one of the more pulpy aspects of riddick... to me is the fact that he has a more "fixed" character, he doesnt really grow or change. But his personality, history, motives and everything else is revealed to us... which is something I feel is more typical of a pulp-era hero than a modern one.
      Eye of the beholder, I guess. Riddick reminds me more of the early Wolverine or Clint Eastwood's Man With No Name. More of an anti-hero or morally gray character, forced by circumstance, not by choice, into the role of hero.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
        Eye of the beholder, I guess. Riddick reminds me more of the early Wolverine or Clint Eastwood's Man With No Name. More of an anti-hero or morally gray character, forced by circumstance, not by choice, into the role of hero.
        Not really, I feel like its almost the opposite... in every situation I can recall Riddick is forced into the role of a "villain" by circumstance, in his mind every person he has ever killed has absolutely deserved it... from an outside perspective he seems like a madman, but when you see the world through his eyes adn experiences... you realize that so many so called "heroes" and "lawmen" are really just psychopaths... crazier than even he is.

Every time Riddick did something good, it was by his choice... he chose to do the right thing... At the end of Pitch Black he could have flown away, in the chonicles, he could have flown away, in dark fury... he damn near gotten eaten by the Bracs to save imam and jack.

Its even implied that his original crimes he was doing what his gut told him was right. Now that doesnt change his opinion on himself, he genuinely believes himself to be a bad person... he doesnt see, udnerstand, or care about the good in his own heart... he is primal in his sense of justice. He sees a natural order to teh universe, and he has absolutely no use for civilization, law and order, or anything else.

Its that animal side of him... he sees a child in trouble, he helps it... someone does something wrong... he kills them... doesnt even try to negotiate with them, the simple fact that they did something so heinous is good enough for Riddick.

I still maintain he is an anti pulp-hero though, because of the style of his many adventures, the focus on the character, and the diverse mythology. Now he is a bit different from pulp heroes to be sure, some of that gritty 90's style badassery is in there, but that doesnt change the fact that there are crazy critters and evil warlords... places to conquer, and people to save... it doesnt change the fact that Riddick is who he is, and we see that without patronizing exposition or him changing.

Like many of the classic pulp heroes he isnt shaped by his situation... he shapes the situation, he takes command of his own life and through his innate character traits turns it to his advantage... he doesnt ever let anything stand in his way, he doesnt cry or whine or get emo about his situation... he makes the best of it.

Comment

Working...
        X