Chronicles of Riddick license?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PulpCrazy
    started a topic Chronicles of Riddick license?

Chronicles of Riddick license?

With the new movie coming out, now is a good time for Dynamite to obtain the Riddick license....

I think he would fit in well with your pulp line...

See this video I made to show his connection to the pulp heroes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HZw_FM3gnM

Guest replied
    Originally posted by pulphero View Post
    Eye of the beholder, I guess. Riddick reminds me more of the early Wolverine or Clint Eastwood's Man With No Name. More of an anti-hero or morally gray character, forced by circumstance, not by choice, into the role of hero.
    Not really, I feel like its almost the opposite... in every situation I can recall Riddick is forced into the role of a "villain" by circumstance, in his mind every person he has ever killed has absolutely deserved it... from an outside perspective he seems like a madman, but when you see the world through his eyes adn experiences... you realize that so many so called "heroes" and "lawmen" are really just psychopaths... crazier than even he is.

Every time Riddick did something good, it was by his choice... he chose to do the right thing... At the end of Pitch Black he could have flown away, in the chonicles, he could have flown away, in dark fury... he damn near gotten eaten by the Bracs to save imam and jack.

Its even implied that his original crimes he was doing what his gut told him was right. Now that doesnt change his opinion on himself, he genuinely believes himself to be a bad person... he doesnt see, udnerstand, or care about the good in his own heart... he is primal in his sense of justice. He sees a natural order to teh universe, and he has absolutely no use for civilization, law and order, or anything else.

Its that animal side of him... he sees a child in trouble, he helps it... someone does something wrong... he kills them... doesnt even try to negotiate with them, the simple fact that they did something so heinous is good enough for Riddick.

I still maintain he is an anti pulp-hero though, because of the style of his many adventures, the focus on the character, and the diverse mythology. Now he is a bit different from pulp heroes to be sure, some of that gritty 90's style badassery is in there, but that doesnt change the fact that there are crazy critters and evil warlords... places to conquer, and people to save... it doesnt change the fact that Riddick is who he is, and we see that without patronizing exposition or him changing.

Like many of the classic pulp heroes he isnt shaped by his situation... he shapes the situation, he takes command of his own life and through his innate character traits turns it to his advantage... he doesnt ever let anything stand in his way, he doesnt cry or whine or get emo about his situation... he makes the best of it.

Leave a comment:

• pulphero
    replied
    Originally posted by Ralok View Post
    you know one of the more pulpy aspects of riddick... to me is the fact that he has a more "fixed" character, he doesnt really grow or change. But his personality, history, motives and everything else is revealed to us... which is something I feel is more typical of a pulp-era hero than a modern one.
    Eye of the beholder, I guess. Riddick reminds me more of the early Wolverine or Clint Eastwood's Man With No Name. More of an anti-hero or morally gray character, forced by circumstance, not by choice, into the role of hero.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    But that is just what the type of weapon is called, he didnt name them. Most modern heroes would get hung up on these baldes and name one "scorpions wrath" and "hornets lament" or something like that, and they would never use any other weapon, Riddick is varied and diversified in his approach to weaponry but he still has a preference in style, like a lot of classic pulp heroes.

Ah I gotcha. Yeah the only pulp hero that I can recall that named his weapons was the Avenger. Mike and Ike.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by PulpCrazy View Post
    The thing with Riddick is that anything is a weapon in his hands. He does seem to prefer a blade though.

Those knives he is always flashing in promo art (especially for the Dark Athena video game) are called ulaks. Other than that, yeah not really any named weapons.
    But that is just what the type of weapon is called, he didnt name them. Most modern heroes would get hung up on these baldes and name one "scorpions wrath" and "hornets lament" or something like that, and they would never use any other weapon, Riddick is varied and diversified in his approach to weaponry but he still has a preference in style, like a lot of classic pulp heroes.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The thing with Riddick is that anything is a weapon in his hands. He does seem to prefer a blade though.

Those knives he is always flashing in promo art (especially for the Dark Athena video game) are called ulaks. Other than that, yeah not really any named weapons.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    you know one of the more pulpy aspects of riddick... to me is the fact that he has a more "fixed" character, he doesnt really grow or change. But his personality, history, motives and everything else is revealed to us... which is something I feel is more typical of a pulp-era hero than a modern one. There is also "preferential weaponry" he has knives rather than cheezy looking pistols... but what I find striking adn pulpy is the lack of... named or iconic weapons.

while not in any sense universal amongst pulp heroes... they did tend to have a weapon style preference, but not a specific weapon they favored... like I said, some puplp heroes had named weapons, but it wasnt typical... and its definitly more typical these days.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Saw the new movie last night, freaking loved it.

Check out my review if you are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFqo6IAkl6E

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by brickbutler View Post
    i would be interested but very worried that the comic would not fit with the character unless David Twohy is involved. I can easily forsee 99% of writers making Riddick a "generic edgey anti-hero" as he was portrayed in the 2004 live action film. The last thing i want is for Riddick to become the punisher in space. Man that would suck. Riddick is, at his core, a very bad man who sometimes does good things if it benefits him in the process. I have always felt that Riddick should be kept closer to the line of "straight up villain" and farther from the "anti-hero" line.

And yes, I understand that he has character progression over Pitch Black, Dark Fury, and Chronicles, and even some in the games, but I believe a comic based on his early years as a villain would be best.
    isnt that an Anti-villain, a bad person that does good things anyways?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    i would be interested but very worried that the comic would not fit with the character unless David Twohy is involved. I can easily forsee 99% of writers making Riddick a "generic edgey anti-hero" as he was portrayed in the 2004 live action film. The last thing i want is for Riddick to become the punisher in space. Man that would suck. Riddick is, at his core, a very bad man who sometimes does good things if it benefits him in the process. I have always felt that Riddick should be kept closer to the line of "straight up villain" and farther from the "anti-hero" line.

And yes, I understand that he has character progression over Pitch Black, Dark Fury, and Chronicles, and even some in the games, but I believe a comic based on his early years as a villain would be best.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Riddick would be a great comic--violent, controversial (protagonist is a "bad guy"--that dark Flash Gordon approach), and special effects would be limited only by the artist's imagination (someone suggested a water planet for example for a site of an adventure). Maybe it could fill the spot until the next Riddick film?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I really do see the connection between Riddick and pulp heroes, and its no surprise to read on teh DVD extras that Vin Diesel was inspired by the works of Frank Frazetta concerning his input on the projects.

riddick is a lot like a ... dark version of a hero like flash gordon, or buck rogers, traveling to different worlds and fighting new and itneresting creatures whilst having a deep mythology surrounding him.

A riddick comic owuld be great... especially if they did a water or swamp world, and involved the Rykengolls.
    Plus, there is already a built in interest for artists. To promote the upcoming movie, they did two art contests. One was for the actual movie poster that would be used at Regal Cinema locations and the other was at Deviant Art.

http://www.regmovies.com/MyRiddickPoster

http://moonbeam13.deviantart.com/jou...test-385949865

A lot of good entries.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by pulphero View Post
    With a new movie incipient, and the production lead time required for a comic book to be timed to be available to take advantage of the movie publicity and audience awareness, these type of deals need to be worked out months in advance. Dynamite has usually been WELL ahead of the curve on movie properties like Green Hornet, Lone Ranger, Dark Shadows, etc. So I'd say if they didn't already announce it by this point, the window of opportunity has probably passed. Or maybe Dynamite already tried to get the license, and missed it.
    The Riddick series tends to come out every few years, so I could see them wanting another project to come out in between.

Not really seeing the "pulp" aspect of Riddick (any more than any other SF/action franchise), but that's neither here nor there. Seems like something that would fit the general parameters of DE's line.
    Check out my YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HZw_FM3gnM

I think I make my case fairly well.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I really do see the connection between Riddick and pulp heroes, and its no surprise to read on teh DVD extras that Vin Diesel was inspired by the works of Frank Frazetta concerning his input on the projects.

riddick is a lot like a ... dark version of a hero like flash gordon, or buck rogers, traveling to different worlds and fighting new and itneresting creatures whilst having a deep mythology surrounding him.

A riddick comic owuld be great... especially if they did a water or swamp world, and involved the Rykengolls.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Any Riddick comic would HAVE to be better than the movies.

Good LORD...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X