Codename: Action #1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Codename: Action #1

(wasn't sure where to post this since the series has ties to several other comics.)

anyway, i thought this was a really good first issue. nice introduction to our cast of characters. the art is really solid too. i hope this series sells well, i'm on board for more adventures. looking forward to the next issue.

Originally posted by Son of Tarzan View Post
    (wasn't sure where to post this since the series has ties to several other comics.)

anyway, i thought this was a really good first issue. nice introduction to our cast of characters. the art is really solid too. i hope this series sells well, i'm on board for more adventures. looking forward to the next issue.
    Love the art! The plot and story flows better than Masks! Looking forward to The Spider and The Green Hornet of the 1960s to appear in these pages. American Crusader might not be long for this world at the cliffhanger of the first issue although...

I am not buying this title for Captain Action. Never bought the toy as it was before my time. Efforts in recent years to focus on Action as a spy action title (Moonstone's version) seems to be a good idea.

I look at this title as a Masks series 2. More crossovers between DE's pulp characters the better! In fact, I almost did not order the series because I had no interest in Captain Action. I contacted my local comic store asap when I found out that the Spider will be part of the fun.

Comment

i had some of the Captain Action figures that were produced several years ago. i've read the DC stuff years ago but i don't think i've read the Moonstone stuff.

Comment

OK, so it's pretty much MASKS 2: The 1960s. I get that. What's puzzling here is why there's any sort of hint of a tie-in to Captain Action, since he doesn't even appear in this. Sure, they can't use any of the original character's licensee outfits from DC and Marvel, although I guess they could have used the King Features heroes. What's left of the original toy? The names and the Ideal-created costumes and vehicles (not used here). No Captain Action, no Action Boy, no Dr. Evil (unless you bought the super-limited cover).

The story Chris Roberson came up with is fine, but it certainly isn't delivering the goods for fans of the toy line. In fact, the original toy had nothing to do with the spy genre. If it had, surely there would have been a James Bond or Napoleon Solo outfit and accessories for Captain Action. It was a pure superhero toy line, with no backstory behind it beyond what the kids playing with it made up for themselves. Does Captain Action somehow "turn into" Superman (ala Billy Batson/Captain Marvel, or "Dial H for Hero"), or merely impersonate him (a pretty tough assignment) using a costume and a Mission Impossible-style face mask? Apparently it wasn't important enough to the Ideal Toy Company to bother filling in the blanks.

Which makes me ask, why bother? Why not just call it Masks 2 and dispense with the pretense that this has anything to do with toy collector nostalgia? Literally the only thing you'd need to do is change the logo. And wouldn't it have sold better as Masks 2?
        Last edited by pulphero; 09-09-2013, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
          OK, so it's pretty much MASKS 2: The 1960s. I get that. What's puzzling here is why there's any sort of hint of a tie-in to Captain Action, since he doesn't even appear in this. Sure, they can't use any of the original character's licensee outfits from DC and Marvel, although I guess they could have used the King Features heroes. What's left of the original toy? The names and the Ideal-created costumes and vehicles (not used here). No Captain Action, no Action Boy, no Dr. Evil (unless you bought the super-limited cover).

The story Chris Roberson came up with is fine, but it certainly isn't delivering the goods for fans of the toy line. In fact, the original toy had nothing to do with the spy genre. If it had, surely there would have been a James Bond or Napoleon Solo outfit and accessories for Captain Action. It was a pure superhero toy line, with no backstory behind it beyond what the kids playing with it made up for themselves. Does Captain Action somehow "turn into" Superman (ala Billy Batson/Captain Marvel, or "Dial H for Hero"), or merely impersonate him (a pretty tough assignment) using a costume and a Mission Impossible-style face mask? Apparently it wasn't important enough to the Ideal Toy Company to bother filling in the blanks.

Which makes me ask, why bother? Why not just call it Masks 2 and dispense with the pretense that this has anything to do with toy collector nostalgia? Literally the only thing you'd need to do is change the logo. And wouldn't it have sold better as Masks 2?
          I agree. Masks 2 or Masks: the Cold War would have been better marketing. As I said, I knew nothing of Captain Action (supposedly, Operator 1001 is supposed to emerge as the Captain Action. I almost did not order this series because I just thought it was a Captain Action series.

Comment

I like how Moonstone dealt with the changing identites. They gave him a device that was programed with several diffent people and he could look like them.

I'm sure Agent 1001 is going to become cptain Action. He has an energy pistol and I seem to remember the action figure having an energy pistol. It should be interesting.
            Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
            Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
            http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

I liked some of the little things, Operator #5 being the biggest geek out for me of issue one, and seeing Jimmy's ring makes me want to rework my 3D print model of the Spider ring to have a matching Operator #5 ring. So geeked for issue 2

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
                I like how Moonstone dealt with the changing identites. They gave him a device that was programed with several diffent people and he could look like them.

I'm sure Agent 1001 is going to become cptain Action. He has an energy pistol and I seem to remember the action figure having an energy pistol. It should be interesting.
                But if he becomes "Captain Action" and has a costume and a sci-fi gizmo that turns him into other people, doesn't the book stop being a spy genre series (Roberson went on at length about this angle of the series in an interview) and become a straight-ahead superhero/sci-fi book? Right now it's the cold war spy genre version of Masks, isn't it? I forgot, does American Crusader has have Superman-level powers or is he more like a slightly stronger Captain America? He looks like he's about to be replaced by an agent (of what Moonstone called "The Red Crawl", an alien hive-mind virus).

Comment

I imagine he'll be refered to 'Captain Action' but probably no costume and nothing but the 'energy pistol'. Maybe he'll impersonate some one to tie in the identy change thing from the action figure?
                  Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                  Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                  http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X