Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dear Dynamite: Please license Milestone--it may be available!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Dynamite: Please license Milestone--it may be available!!

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blo...56789976762878

John Rozum said...

Joe, I'm going to answer this here, since I'm sure other people are wondering about this, too.

I don't know for certain, but I'm guessing, and hoping, that DC has let the publishing rights lapse back to Milestone. I'll see if I can find out for sure. I don't know that any of this was a factor with Young Justice. They could have just stopped using the characters. I suspect it's simply that CN is really only behind their own shows which is why Gumball, Adventure Time, Regular Show, and others seem to be on 24 hours a day.

When I was allegedly writing Static Shock, it was made very clear to me that just because I had hardware in the comic didn't mean I was going to be allowed to start bringing in all the other Milestone characters, which is something I very much wanted to do. I don't think DC was ever really interested in the Milestone characters beyond Static. Sales aside, they cancelled Xombi before the first issue was available for ordering.

Citing legal issues means they are passing the buck. They are pretending that there's nothing they'd rather do than include Static in a team book, but Milestone is being difficult. If DC really wanted to make Static, or any of the other Milestone characters part of any team, they had plenty of time to do that before the license to publish these characters ran out.

What I hope will happen is that Milestone will license the characters out to a different publisher, one that not only actually wants to use the characters, but actually adores and respects them. Then maybe people will see the Static Shock series that should have been part of the New 52. DC has never really been supportive of Milestone, even when Milestone was publishing regularly.

I'm sorry not to be able to give you a better, or more positive response, as you say, anyone in the know at DC isn't going to tell me anything, and the people who now are in charge of the Milestone property have their own full time jobs to concern them. I'll try and find out something though, because I would certainly like to write some of those characters again, even if it's somewhere else.
    And

If other publishers could pick up the Milestone license, that does in fact mean that I could do Xombi elsewhere. Would I be interested? Absolutely. I'd love to possibly finish the story I started way back when, and last time we discussed it, Frazer wanted to go forward on it as well. I can think of at least one publisher that would jump on this if it was a possibility.
    PLEASE DYNAMITE DO THIS.

Xombi? You have my attention :I

DYNAMITE GET ON THIS!!!

Comment

never read any Static Shock, but i'd read more Icon. always liked that series. not sure who they could get to write it though.

Comment

I would love to see the characters again, preferably in its continuity, oustide of any other publishers setting/characters. If that was DE, I would be happy.

Comment

Totally in favor of this. Milestone at Dynamite Entertainment? That's win-win!

Comment

Wow, how can this be? Just a few days ago I was watching the DC animated series Young Justice, and Icon and Rocket become members of the Justice League and Young Justice (respectively) in that series. I also recall that Batman Beyond appeared in an episode of Static Shock, and Static was even shown to be a member of Justice League Beyond in a episode of Justice League Unlimited. If DC doesn't own these things, it would mean they would have to pull these episodes from circulation (and all future DVD releases). Something tells me the legal situation is not as cut and dried as all that. There's got to be something more going on here than "use it or lose it".

I don't think this is a simple case of DC publishing creator-owned properties. When the Milestone line was first published, they went out of their way to integrate it with the regular DC multiverse as a parallel earth by having a crossover with the regular DCU. It think the situation may be more analogous to the deal DC had with William Moulton Marston when he created Wonder Woman in the 1940s. I also understand Neil Gaiman has some form of "creator ownership" with his specific version of DC's Sandman. Both of these deals seemed to be along the lines of "you, the creator, have creative control of this property and profit participation, but it can't be published anywhere else except with us".
            Last edited by pulphero; 09-16-2013, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
              Wow, how can this be? Just a few days ago I was watching the DC animated series Young Justice, and Icon and Rocket become members of the Justice League and Young Justice (respectively) in that series. I also recall that Batman Beyond appeared in an episode of Static Shock, and Static was even shown to be a member of Justice League Beyond in a episode of Justice League Unlimited. If DC doesn't own these things, it would mean they would have to pull these episodes from circulation (and all future DVD releases). Something tells me the legal situation is not as cut and dried as all that. There's got to be something more going on here than "use it or lose it".

I don't think this is a simple case of DC publishing creator-owned properties. When the Milestone line was first published, they went out of their way to integrate it with the regular DC multiverse as a parallel earth by having a crossover with the regular DCU. It think the situation may be more analogous to the deal DC had with William Moulton Marston when he created Wonder Woman in the 1940s. I also understand Neil Gaiman has some form of "creator ownership" with his specific version of DC's Sandman. Both of these deals seemed to be along the lines of "you, the creator, have creative control of this property and profit participation, but it can't be published anywhere else except with us".
              I don't think they are forcibly tied to DC; however since Dwayne McDuffie passed away, it may be that there is no-one with the drive or time to see them used elsewhere.

As for the integration within the DCU, Worlds Collide was simply a crossover with the Superman books, nothing more; there was nothing else to place Milestone in a DC context story-wise - there was no DC multiverse at the time remember, yet clearly Milestone was its own earth.

When Static Shock: Rebirth of the Cool was published it was to build on the success of the cartoon, but again had no DCU context - it was a continuation of the previous Milestone books.

The only integration was during McDuffie's own JLA run, and with Static first in pre-New 52 Teen Titans, and then in his 8 issue series.

My understanding from McDuffie's past comments was that if there were opportunities elsewhere, they could be followed, that DC did not have to be the only-ever publisher. However, as stated, whether the custodians of the properties have the time to focus on where they go next is another matter.

Comment

Originally posted by leonmallett View Post
                I don't think they are forcibly tied to DC; however since Dwayne McDuffie passed away, it may be that there is no-one with the drive or time to see them used elsewhere.

As for the integration within the DCU, Worlds Collide was simply a crossover with the Superman books, nothing more; there was nothing else to place Milestone in a DC context story-wise - there was no DC multiverse at the time remember, yet clearly Milestone was its own earth.

When Static Shock: Rebirth of the Cool was published it was to build on the success of the cartoon, but again had no DCU context - it was a continuation of the previous Milestone books.

The only integration was during McDuffie's own JLA run, and with Static first in pre-New 52 Teen Titans, and then in his 8 issue series.

My understanding from McDuffie's past comments was that if there were opportunities elsewhere, they could be followed, that DC did not have to be the only-ever publisher. However, as stated, whether the custodians of the properties have the time to focus on where they go next is another matter.
                I don't particularly care whether or not Worlds Collide will ever be reprinted, but DC's loss of the Milestone characters would wreak havok with the DC animated series. Fortunately, I have the DVD releases of Justice League Unlimited and Young Justice, both of which contain episodes with appearances by Milestone characters. What I don't have is the Static Shock animated series, which hasn't had a DVD release so far (except for a single 6-episode disc), and if DC was to lose the rights to the characters, presumably never will, since several of the episodes feature DC-owned characters as guest stars. While the Milestone characters may not have been officially part of the DC multiverse in comic books, on the DCAU animated series the Milestone characters were part of the same universe as the DC characters.
                Last edited by pulphero; 09-16-2013, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                  I don't particularly care whether or not Worlds Collide will ever be reprinted, but DC's loss of the Milestone characters would wreak havok with the DC animated series. Fortunately, I have the DVD releases of Justice League Unlimited and Young Justice, both of which contain episodes with appearances by Milestone characters. What I don't have is the Static Shock animated series, which hasn't had a DVD release so far (except for a single 6-episode disc), and if DC was to lose the rights to the characters, presumably never will, since several of the episodes feature DC-owned characters as guest stars. While the Milestone characters may not have been officially part of the DC multiverse in comic books, on the DCAU animated series the Milestone characters were part of the same universe as the DC characters.
                  I would imagine the licensing deals are actually separate; the DCAU appearances occurred outside of the licensing periods that Milestone had with DC, so even if the comic book license has lapsed, it does not necessarily follow that the same is true for the DCAU stuff. That said, presumably the animated aspect has a finite time to be in WB's court - which would be interesting to see how things are packaged re: the DCAU stuff, even up to YJ.

But what a couple of us are calling for is that *if* the license for comic books is available, then it would be something some of us welcome at DE, or indeed somewhere else; anywhere than DC in fact, since DC as a comic book publisher has treated the stable of characters pretty poorly at times since they undertook the most recent licensing deal.

Comment

Originally posted by leonmallett View Post
                    But what a couple of us are calling for is that *if* the license for comic books is available, then it would be something some of us welcome at DE, or indeed somewhere else; anywhere than DC in fact, since DC as a comic book publisher has treated the stable of characters pretty poorly at times since they undertook the most recent licensing deal.
                    I guess I can agree on that. Why would DC treat the Milestone characters any better than they've treated their company-owned characters? Most DC comics are ruined for me since the New 52.

Comment

And how DC has treated their creators. Oh my God, it's been horrible.

Comment

DC should be beneath the notice of comics readers. Watching them flail about so desperately is simultaneously sad & amusing. Their treatment of creators is abhorrent. Thier disregard for their readers is suicidal. THANK GOD for the New 52, because it set me free from a ridiculous compulsion to keep buying their books. Best. divorce. ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris-KL99 View Post
                          DC should be beneath the notice of comics readers. Watching them flail about so desperately is simultaneously sad & amusing. Their treatment of creators is abhorrent. Thier disregard for their readers is suicidal. THANK GOD for the New 52, because it set me free from a ridiculous compulsion to keep buying their books. Best. divorce. ever.
                          Yep, I'm an old fella , in my fifties. Decided to pop in a comic book shop a few weeks ago after not having read comics for decades. Picked up Wonder Woman, a title I loved during the George Perez era. Disgusted. The Amazons are now rapist and child traders. Fortunately I went over to the indi side and saw some old favorites like the Bionic Woman, Shadow Warlord of Mars, Dejah Thoris etc. Bought a few and enjoyed them. Intend to collect some of them. I understand Gail Simone did WW before DC gave her the boot. I'm looking forward at reading her in Red Sonja.

Ralph

Comment

I'm looking forward to regime change at DC, myself--there are a few books I am getting now (mainly based on who the creators are), but they're in spite of the current mainstream DCU. I want DC to become better, not just die or something.

Comment

Working...
                            X