New Turok setting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Turok setting?

I'm wondering--having only gotten into the original Turok and Andar in the Lost Land stories, and not the "Turok, Dinosaur Hunter" Valiant stuff--as I understand it, those original stories were set in a pre-European-discovery period, which I thought was really cool. Do we know yet when the new series will be set? I'd far prefer the past (and, certainly for Turok's people, a happier era) to the present day.

Originally posted by ChastMastr View Post
    I'm wondering--having only gotten into the original Turok and Andar in the Lost Land stories, and not the "Turok, Dinosaur Hunter" Valiant stuff--as I understand it, those original stories were set in a pre-European-discovery period, which I thought was really cool. Do we know yet when the new series will be set? I'd far prefer the past (and, certainly for Turok's people, a happier era) to the present day.
    It's been treated different ways in the Valiant and Dark Horse incarnations. Valiant's Turok was from the present, Dark Horse's was from the past. Both series seemed to indicate some sort of 'time rift' that Turok finds his way into, rather than a traditional "lost world" surviving into recent historical time. Maybe they'll somehow combine both ideas, with Turok originating back in the 1700s or 1800s, finding his way into a time rift to the prehistoric past, then back to the present day.

Comment

As long as Turok isnt made into a space marine... got that game....

The people who made it were trying to reboot the Turok game series, and were appearently completely unaware that Turok began as a comic... oops

The only other Turok lore I was exposed to after that was the animated film which had a 500% more interesting lore, after that I got a bunch of the comics but I got distracted and never got around to reading them.

Comment

i actually hope we get both versions of Turok. the typical lost valley stuff and the space adventures. those games, or the ones on the Nintendo 64 were always a guilty pleasure. plus i'd say there are people who grew up with those games who might just buy a comic that is similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Son of Tarzan View Post
          i actually hope we get both versions of Turok. the typical lost valley stuff and the space adventures. those games, or the ones on the Nintendo 64 were always a guilty pleasure. plus i'd say there are people who grew up with those games who might just buy a comic that is similar.
          or we could do one better.... CROSSOVER RETCON FUN TIME

Reveal the dinosaurs in the Turok space-marine video game were not created, but dragged through a portal to the Turok-extra-dimensional-time realm-and-or-valley!

The video games followed the comics more closely to my knowledge though, iand it was only the more recent game that deviated... but what the heck... let dynamite salvage something from it. I HEREBY REQUEST "TUROK VS TUROK"!!!! a battle between the future and the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Son of Tarzan View Post
            I disagree, keep Turok out of space, leave that for Magnus and Solar. In Valiant the lost land connected to all-time, so Turok can eighter go to the past or present. Shooter did almost the same thing for the DH version, with Turok meeting a pilot from the future. The animated film was actually more closer to the Lost Land concept in the original comics.
            Greg Pak: "Turok" is the story of a young Native American who is essentially exiled from his tribe. He's an outcast for reasons that we will explore. He doesn't belong anywhere, and into this world come the dinosaurs. It turns everything on its head, and our hero will end up having to decide who he's going to stand with, and who he's going to stand against, in a world turned upside down by the arrival of dinosaurs.
            Sounds like this will be set in the past, with the Dino's coming to Turok's world instead of vice versa.

Comment

Heh, maybe this will be an alternate universe in which things turned out better for the Native Americans than they did in ours...

Comment

Originally posted by Ralok View Post
                I HEREBY REQUEST "TUROK VS TUROK"!!!! a battle between the future and the past.
                lol. i'd buy that for $1!

Comment

Originally posted by rasx View Post
                  I disagree, keep Turok out of space, leave that for Magnus and Solar. In Valiant the lost land connected to all-time, so Turok can eighter go to the past or present. Shooter did almost the same thing for the DH version, with Turok meeting a pilot from the future. The animated film was actually more closer to the Lost Land concept in the original comics.
                  Greg Pak: "Turok" is the story of a young Native American who is essentially exiled from his tribe. He's an outcast for reasons that we will explore. He doesn't belong anywhere, and into this world come the dinosaurs. It turns everything on its head, and our hero will end up having to decide who he's going to stand with, and who he's going to stand against, in a world turned upside down by the arrival of dinosaurs.
                  Sounds like this will be set in the past, with the Dino's coming to Turok's world instead of vice versa.
                  Except Pak doesn't mention whether Turok is in the past or the present, so I guess it could be either one. He also mentions the dinosaurs "coming into this world" but doesn't say whether they're coming there from a traditional-style lost world or some sort of time rift, so again I guess it could be either one. Heck, for all the information he gives here, he could be talking about intelligent extraterrestrial dinosaurs. Glad we nailed that down.

A better question would be whether or not Dynamite is even legally entitled to use any ideas for Turok that were originally specific to the Valiant version (like the subtitle 'Dinosaur Hunter'), or if they're legally constrained to base their version strictly on the Gold Key version (with whatever new ideas of their own they want to add). I mention this only because on the face of it, this would seem to have been the case with the character's previous revival under Jim Shooter at Dark Horse. That version restored Gold Key's original 'Son of Stone' subtitle and kept Turok (and Andar) in the past as in the Gold Key version, while still involving time travel (a generic enough SF concept). Of course, that could have been strictly Shooter's idea to avoid using any Valiant concepts, since he had a un-amicable break with the new owners of the Valiant line before they relaunched it.
                  Last edited by pulphero; 10-19-2013, 03:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                    Except Pak doesn't mention whether Turok is in the past or the present, so I guess it could be either one. He also mentions the dinosaurs "coming into this world" but doesn't say whether they're coming there from a traditional-style lost world or some sort of time rift, so again I guess it could be either one. Heck, for all the information he gives here, he could be talking about intelligent extraterrestrial dinosaurs. Glad we nailed that down.

A better question would be whether or not Dynamite is even legally entitled to use any ideas for Turok that were originally specific to the Valiant version (like the subtitle 'Dinosaur Hunter'), or if they're legally constrained to base their version strictly on the Gold Key version (with whatever new ideas of their own they want to add). I mention this only because on the face of it, this would seem to have been the case with the character's previous revival under Jim Shooter at Dark Horse. That version restored Gold Key's original 'Son of Stone' subtitle and kept Turok (and Andar) in the past as in the Gold Key version, while still involving time travel (a generic enough SF concept). Of course, that could have been strictly Shooter's idea to avoid using any Valiant concepts, since he had a un-amicable break with the new owners of the Valiant line before they relaunched it.
                    Valiant recently did their version of the Lost Land called the Faraway, which had the same time-rift concept.

Comment

I am dead serious about Turok Vs. Turok... I want to really see the original put space-marine-dudebro in his place. I want to see space marine thrashed and put in time out...

even if its just a one-shot... and strangely this owuld actually make sense as an extension of the Turok Space Marine game...

It was my first exposure to turok other than turok evolution (I had no idea what was going on in that game anyways cus I was like... 10), and i didnt totally hate it... but the dude seriously needed to get his ass kicked in nmy opinion for just being a major jerk!

now I am older, and i know better... I like the original turok a lot more... but stiiiiilllll... I would like to see a continuation of that story, even if its just the original turok kicking space-turoks ass XD

also if its not too much to ask... in the new turok comics... would it be possible to get a reference to the valley of the gwangi? XD

in a lot of ways the valley of the gwangi is similiar to turok... so a reference or two to it... would be kinda awesome

Comment

If I remember correctly, the videogames (and DTV animated feature) came about because Acclaim purchased Valiant towards the end there. I recall that at first there was an attempt to continue certain Valiant titles, then they stopped, then a very few (mostly, if not entirely, Turok related) were published, dropping the Valiant name and being rebranded as Acclaim Comics. Again, it's unclear what Dynamite is licensing here. Is it JUST the material published by Dell/Gold Key/Whitman (aka Western Publishing)? Or does it encompass the entire pool of material forming the back history (or histories) of the characters? Which would include all material related to those characters formerly published by Valiant, Acclaim, Dark Horse, etc.

Personally, I never was much of a fan of Turok, Son of Stone as published by Dell and Gold Key. It started a decade or so before my comic reading time (even considering that back issues of 5-10 years vintage weren't very difficult to come by). Space Family Robinson, Doctor Solar, Magnus Robot Fighter, and the Russ Manning Tarzan and Korak titles from Gold Key started somewhat later and I was able to get a smattering of those, seeking out many of the missing ones over years of collecting. I mostly hadn't re-read these for years when Valiant revived some of them in the mid-90s, but I was happy to see them at first. I thought Valiant's Solar and Magnus were excellent for the first year or so under Jim Shooter. Then they started with the line-wide crossovers and before you know it, gave Shooter the boot. A few of the other titles (X-O, Eternal Warrior) weren't bad, but I never really had any loyalty to the characters per se, for me it was more about the specific creative team working on it. A few years into it I felt most of the titles were unreadable. Turok, Dinosaur Hunter (mostly written, and sometimes drawn, by Tim Truman, other times drawn by Rags Morales) was the standout exception. So its really this version of the character that I gravitate toward and have sentimental feelings about.
                        Last edited by pulphero; 10-20-2013, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X