Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Lone Ranger - Current title in danger of being cancelled? Hope not....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lone Ranger - Current title in danger of being cancelled? Hope not....

First of all, I'm not trying to toss bombs, generate activity, or “move the meter” on a thread. I'm a huge Lone Ranger fan and Dynamites' current vol.2 is one of the best Lone Ranger comics ever published, and one of the best written and drawn western comics.

That said, it's no secret that the title has not been published monthly through 2013, despite the continued solicitation showing otherwise. Also, I haven't seen a solicitation past January 2014. Not a good trend in today’s publishing market.

Anyone have any insight they would share on the future of the current title and creative team?

John
    Last edited by Jdcoates1; 01-14-2014, 09:30 PM. Reason: Spelling

Originally posted by Jdcoates1 View Post
    First of all, I'm not trying to toss bombs, generate activity, or “move the meter” on a thread. I'm a huge Lone Ranger fan and Dynamites' current vol.2 is one of the best Lone Ranger comics ever published, and one of the best written and drawn western comics.

That said, it's no secret that the title has not been published monthly through 2013, despite the continued solicitation showing otherwise. Also, I haven't seen a solicitation past January 2014. Not a good trend in today’s publishing market.

Anyone have any insight they would share on the future of the current title and creative team?

John
    Ande Parks just finished a script. I follow him on twitter.

Another issue comes out this Wednesday, and another issue was solicited in the latest Previews.

I do agree with what you said about vol. 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Jdcoates1 View Post
      I haven't seen a solicitation past January 2014.
      Here's the latest solicitation, from the January Previews:

THE LONE RANGER #24 (OF 25)
      DYNAMIC FORCES
      (W) Ande Parks (A) Esteve Polls (CA) Francesco Francavilla
      The Lone Ranger and Tonto abandon their horses to pursue a murderous band of Old West robbers aboard a speeding train. The thieves are led by a villain the likes of which the West's most legendary heroes have never faced before... a killer who seems unkillable himself. The Ranger and Tonto will chase the robbers through a train packed with innocents, trying desperately to avoid further bloodshed. All-out action and gunplay, set on an iron horse that speeds toward oblivion.

Uh-oh. #24 (of 25). Looks like Volume 2 runs the same number of issues as Volume 1. The dangling question mark there is whether or not there will be a Volume 3 #1. Maybe they've got something coming up, as yet unannounced (like the Lone Ranger: The Death of Zorro crossover) that we haven't heard about yet. Another crossover would be a good thing. Maybe Sherlock Holmes? It would be even better if they could do a Jonah Hex crossover with DC, or a Ghost Rider crossover with Marvel, but frankly, those seem unlikely.

There should be a new Previews catalog available the last week in January, so maybe we'll get a clue by then.

I would like to see Dynamite reprint the Joe Lansdale/Tim Truman miniseries from Topps as a trade paperback, while they're at it.
      Last edited by pulphero; 01-18-2014, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
        Here's the latest solicitation, from the January Previews:

THE LONE RANGER #24 (OF 25)
        DYNAMIC FORCES
        (W) Ande Parks (A) Esteve Polls (CA) Francesco Francavilla
        The Lone Ranger and Tonto abandon their horses to pursue a murderous band of Old West robbers aboard a speeding train. The thieves are led by a villain the likes of which the West's most legendary heroes have never faced before... a killer who seems unkillable himself. The Ranger and Tonto will chase the robbers through a train packed with innocents, trying desperately to avoid further bloodshed. All-out action and gunplay, set on an iron horse that speeds toward oblivion.

Uh-oh. #24 (of 25). Looks like Volume 2 runs the same number of issues as Volume 1. The dangling question mark there is whether or not there will be a Volume 3 #1. Maybe they've got something coming up, as yet unannounced (like the Lone Ranger: The Death of Zorro crossover) that we haven't heard about yet. Another crossover would be a good thing. Maybe Sherlock Holmes? It would be even better if they could do a Jonah Hex crossover with DC, or a Ghost Rider crossover with Marvel, but frankly, those seem unlikely.

There should be a new Previews catalog available the last week in January, so maybe we'll get a clue by then.

I would like to see Dynamite reprint the Joe Lansdale/Tim Truman miniseries from Topps as a trade paperback, while they're at it.
        Where do you see that? I just checked my copy of Previews and it doesn't say (of 25) on it.

Comment

Just copied and pasted it from Diamond's website.

Comment

Just copied and pasted it from Diamond's website.
            I can't find it on their page. Any chance you can post a link? I have looked everywhere else, and nowhere else does it say 24 (of 25)
            I believe you, I just want to post it on twitter and ask about it

Thanks.

Comment

I'm hoping for a Lone Ranger/Green Hornet cross over. While they obviously can't meet, something can start in the Ranger's time and end in the Hornet's. They could do two issues each back to back or told concurrently switchingback and forth every few pages. The other possiblity is side by side, I don't think it would work but it might be interesting.
              Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
              Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
              http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

I wrote a story that spanned three generations starting with the Lone Ranger, going through to the first Hornet then wrapping up with the second. It involved the Black Arrow crime syndicate.

The problem is, Dynamite, like most if not all publishers, do not accept unsolicited submissions so...unless they ASK to see it, it's just going to sit collecting digital dust.

Same as my Zorro legacy story.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM View Post
                  I can't find it on their page. Any chance you can post a link? I have looked everywhere else, and nowhere else does it say 24 (of 25)
                  I believe you, I just want to post it on twitter and ask about it

Thanks.
                  I can't give you the link, because it comes from the Diamond retailer's site and you need a retailer login. I can show you a snip of the actual product listing though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lone Ranger #24.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	48813

I only wanted to look it up to see what the most recent issue solicited was, and whether the description of the contents gave any indication that the title was headed towards some sort of conclusion. (Oddly, now that I read it again, it almost reads like "the Lone Ranger meets PREACHER's Saint of Killers".) I was as surprised as you are to see "#24 (of 25)", and didn't even think to check the printed Previews catalog to cross-reference the listing. The listings for the February Diamond Previews catalog for Dynamite titles should be available online in a week or so, so we'll see whether or not Lone Ranger #25 is listed and if the description says "final issue".
                  Last edited by pulphero; 01-20-2014, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Yup. Looks like its ending with issue 25.
                    Ande Parks says so on twitter.
                    I am really, really saddened by this as Lone Ranger is one of my top 5 comics.

I hope Dynamite comes out with a volume 3.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM View Post
                      Yup. Looks like its ending with issue 25.
                      Ande Parks says so on twitter.
                      I am really, really saddened by this as Lone Ranger is one of my top 5 comics.

I hope Dynamite comes out with a volume 3.
                      Man, Dynamite has been dropping most of my favorite titles. This is really depressing. Ande Parks is one of my favorite writers. I hope he gets another title. This title was consistently strong and imaginative.

What is up with Dynamite? I hope The Shadow is not next on the hit list.

Would be nice if they filled some of this void with PSP volume 3 or bringing back The Owl.

Comment

Originally posted by Britt68 View Post
                        Man, Dynamite has been dropping most of my favorite titles. This is really depressing. Ande Parks is one of my favorite writers. I hope he gets another title. This title was consistently strong and imaginative.

What is up with Dynamite? I hope The Shadow is not next on the hit list.

Would be nice if they filled some of this void with PSP volume 3 or bringing back The Owl.
                        Same old story. Once the newness of a title wears off, the average comic book reader begins to lose interest, so either the book just quietly ends, or...

1. It gets renumbered to #1, again!
                        2. All-new creative team!
                        3. New costume!
                        4. Crossover event!
                        5. Death Of A Hero!
                        6. Some variation on "The All-New..." with a new guy replacing the existing character, or a "radical new direction"!

...or some combination of the above. Unfortunately, very few of these tried-and-true old dodges will work with the Lone Ranger.

Comment

It's also worth noting that nothing lasts forever. The Shadow WILL be cancelled, eventually. Dynamite has exactly ONE title that has been running uninterrupted since the company began (although it's been renumbered). That's Red Sonja. Unlike Marvel and DC, they don't have a stable core of a dozen (or even a half-dozen) characters that will always be published in some form. Even Vampirella has been cancelled with issue #38, and they OWN that (as opposed to licensing it, as DE does with most of its titles), so presumably they would have more incentive to keep that one alive.

Comment

It's also worth noting that nothing lasts forever. The Shadow WILL be cancelled, eventually. Dynamite has exactly ONE title that has been running uninterrupted since the company began (although it's been renumbered). That's Red Sonja. Unlike Marvel and DC, they don't have a stable core of a dozen (or even a half-dozen) characters that will always be published in some form. Even Vampirella has been cancelled with issue #38, and they OWN that (as opposed to licensing it, as DE does with most of its titles), so presumably they would have more incentive to keep that one alive.
                            It seems that Dynamite doesn't give their characters a chance to be a stable form. There have been various titles and iterations for Green Hornet and Shadow, so I am hoping they stick around long term. I understand every title can't be a hit, but boy, there is a lot of turnover.

Wish they would bring back PSP or Kirby Genesis. I think those titles would have been more successful if Dynamite had been a little more patient and not immediately flooded the market with all kinds of spinoffs/solo titles right off the bat. Oh well, if I ran the world..................

Comment

These are also LICENSED characters. License agreements run out.

SOMETIMES, as in the case of BOOM!'s wonderful PLANET OF THE APES books, the sales of the title don't warrant them renewing the license despite how good the book is quality-wise.

Lots of great things die out because sales don't meet expectation. It's an unfortunate reality of the business.

I love LONE RANGER. I loved Dynamite's ZORRO books. All things must pass, I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                              X