X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaft returns at Dynamite

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/dy...l/1100-148868/
    I'm so pumped for this.

Can we get a Dynamite and IDW crossover with Shaft and Black Dynamite?

Comment

Gotta say I was a little disappointed in IDW's Black Dynamite comic book. Love the cartoon on which it's based, and some of the covers are great. Interior art and story, not so much. Meh.

Comment

Prose novel reprints!!

After reading the press release, what struck me is that Dynamite is now getting into a whole new area - reprinting prose novels.

I would hope that they run with that, and as long as they're reprinting prose novels, do some other characters that DE already licenses.

Prose fiction that I'd like to see reprints of:
        1) Vampirella novel series by Ron Goulart (6 novels, based on the continuity of Archie Goodwin's Warren Comics stories.)
        2) Flash Gordon novels by Ron Goulart (There were 6 of these, I think only the first three were by Goulart, though, based on Alex Raymond's Sunday strips. The last 3 in the series were by Carson Bingham, based on the later Dan Barry FG strips, and not as good.)
        3) The Phantom novel series by Lee Falk (15 novels; Lee Falk wrote 4 of them, Ron Goulart wrote 5, the rest by various writers, all based on Lee Falk's strip continuities.)
        4) The Lone Ranger novel series by Fran Striker (18 novels; originally published in hardcover, later reprinted in paperback by Pinnacle Books)
        5) Zorro novels by Johnston McCulley (I don't know exactly how many of these there were, but it's quite a few, and only the first couple ever seem to get reprinted. He wrote the first two in 1919 and 1922, then as the character became well-known through film & TV adaptations, continued to write sequels from 1931 to 1959.)
        6) Since they've worked out their differences between DE and ERB, Inc, I wouldn't mind seeing ALL the Burroughs novels back in print, with new cover artwork.

These books have been sadly neglected for too long, and should be exposed to a new generation. What would be really cool is if they could reprint these at the same size as the modern pulp replica reprints (7"x10"), throw in some spot illustrations, and use some of their best painted cover artists (Ross, Jusko, Parillo, Linsner, Anacleto, etc.). Other pulp characters like The Shadow, Doc Savage, The Avenger, The Black Bat, The Green Lama, etc. already seem to be being reprinted by other companies, so DE should concentrate its efforts on the characters it licenses that other publishers haven't been reprinting.
        Last edited by pulphero; 05-30-2014, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Let's not forget the Phantom Novels from the 70's (I think). I have a few of the originals and remember them being pretty good. Of course with another company doing a Phantom book who knows where the rights are. Maybe the Shadow knows an will tell us .
          Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
          Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
          http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

G'day,

Looking forward to it. I hope they set it in the 70's. Remember Cleopatra Jones? I liked her. Perhaps DE can bring her on board too. I think it was part of something you Americans called blaxploitation movies . Which were movies with black people in them designed to appeal to black people but white people liked too.

Ralph

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tamaradobson-cleopatrajones.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	48844

Comment

Originally posted by Ghornet2 View Post
              Let's not forget the Phantom Novels from the 70's (I think). I have a few of the originals and remember them being pretty good. Of course with another company doing a Phantom book who knows where the rights are. Maybe the Shadow knows an will tell us .
              ? I didn't forget them. Did you think there was some other series of Phantom novels? I could wish for Moonstone to reprint them, but other than a couple of Spider pulps (one previously unpublished), they seem to be focusing their energies on original "old heroes/new pulp" fiction anthologies. I guess it's questionable whether DE has any further interest in the Phantom at this point, with Hermes getting the rights to a new comic book series. Which kind of puts a damper on what Jeff Parker set up at the end of Kings Watch...
              Last edited by pulphero; 05-30-2014, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pulphero View Post
                ? I didn't forget them. Did you think there was some other series of Phantom novels? I could wish for Moonstone to reprint them, but other than a couple of Spider pulps (one previously unpublished), they seem to be focusing their energies on original "old heroes/new pulp" fiction anthologies. I guess it's questionable whether DE has any further interest in the Phantom at this point, with Hermes getting the rights to a new comic book series. Which kind of puts a damper on what Jeff Parker set up at the end of Kings Watch...
                Sorry. Somehow I missed the mention of the Phantom novels when I read your post. Tha's what I get for not waiting to wake up before I go on a forum.
                Always remember, Murphy was an optimist
                Munchkin 1, 2, 4, 7 Super Munchkin 1&2, Munchkin Bites 1&2, Munchkin Fu, Star Munchkin Deluxe and Star 2
                http://ghornet.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ralphuniverse View Post
                  G'day,

Looking forward to it. I hope they set it in the 70's. Remember Cleopatra Jones? I liked her. Perhaps DE can bring her on board too. I think it was part of something you Americans called blaxploitation movies . Which were movies with black people in them designed to appeal to black people but white people liked too.

Ralph

[ATTACH=CONFIG]753[/ATTACH]
                  Just finished issue #6 of this and enjoyed it.

I do hope Dynamite feels there would be enough interest for a return engagement for Shaft. And definitely preferred having this set toward the early 1970s. (Then again, that's when I was a kid / early teenager.)

(As for Blaxploitation films, did you check Wikipedia?
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaxploitation
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...oitation_films)

Comment

I thought the comic (still haven't read it, and missed the last two issues) was based on the novel SHAFT by Ernest Tidyman (as opposed to the film SHAFT directed by Gordon Parks... even though Tidyman also co-wrote the screeplay for it). That means this isn't a licensing deal with movie people (who might also conceivably own the rights to other blaxploitation movies as well, if that were the case). So Cleopatra Jones would seem unlikely.

Comment

Was it based on the novel or just the character?

(I never read the novels.)

Comment

Working...
                      X